276°
Posted 20 hours ago

WINGMEN

£6.225£12.45Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Gray’s bass is the building block for the acerbic takedown of serial complainers “Brits”, has the wonderful couplet: “you complain when its pudding, you complain when its pie” and if you think that’s spot on, then I give you one of the shining jewels in this crown.

Wingmen UK tour announced! – featuring members of The

Looking every inch the part, a leather jacketed and flat capped Baz Warne then stepped up to the mic for ‘ Last Cigarette’, as the band worked their way through each song on the album in sequence. In fact, “Wingmen” the album, sounds as bleak as it deserves too, but it’s wonderfully and brilliantly done, because Wingmen, the band, are as close to royalty as you’re going to get. Not a particularly jolly subject I know, but the music suggested a fairly dark lyric and the song just kinda ended up writing itself”. This album may well have never come about were it not for the fact that our lives were suddenly put on hold,” explains Paul.A four piece, live music act from Grimsby in the North of England, gigging the Swiss-French Alps ski scene in winters and a combination of the UK and Côte d’Azur in the summer months – but will travel all year round to wherever your celebration may be! The supergroup featuring members of The Stranglers, The Damned, Ruts DC and Johnny Moped are sharing the details of the upcoming tour and debut album.

Wingmen announce UK tour - Distorted Sound Magazine

Due to be released January 27 th via Cadiz Music, it’s important to stress that at no point during the recording of this debut Wingmen album were the musicians ever in the same room playing together. The Wingmen play a plethora of musical hits including tunes from the 50s, right up to the modern day current favourites. With clear political reference points focused on the NHS, it speaks of “fraud” and “a trail of broken promises should come as no surprise”. Formed virtually during the lockdown on 2020, the band is made up of Baz Warne (The Stranglers), Paul Gray (The Damned), Leigh Heggarty (Ruts DC) and Marty Love (Johnny Moped). Down In The Hole is another one from Paul Gray which focuses on much darker times leading onto Mary Go Round which has a clear Stranglers reference point with strong melodies overlaid with driving guitars, dominant keys, solid bass lines and big choruses.Formed out of pandemic isolation boredom and frustration, the group features The Stranglers frontman Baz Warne, guitarist Leigh Heggarty from Ruts DC, The Damned bassist Paul Gray and Johnny Moped drummer Marty Love. In essence, the way this album came together is the very definition of a collaborative process with no shortage of ideas and inspiration flowing through into what we can enjoy now through this debut album, especially given the fact that none of the members actually met at any point during this whole process.

The Wingmen - Apresski Bands The Wingmen - Apresski Bands

Although we'd recorded various parts at our homes for our respective bands before, none of us had employed this process to make a complete album! Due to be released January 27 th via Cadiz Music, although Wingmen’s debut album was crafted in seclusion, there’s no doubting that the album’s ten songs, chock full of dynamic song writing and performances, sound like a band, despite the unconventional way the album was fashioned.

He also explained why Wingmen track ‘ Backstage At The Opera’ was so named – it appeared in the dialogue in an episode of The Sweeney – “ It’s all mi mi mi (me me me) backstage at the opera! I Would If I Could opens with somewhat ethereal sounds before exploding into a Stones style riff which runs right through the song together with a great melodic chorus line underpinned by a great bassline from Paul Gray. Today, we get to sample the first taste of Wingmen’s work in ‘Down In The Hole’, a song which channels the intense moods and feelings that lockdown created. No one dictates to us, and no one drives what we can or cannot put on our pages – and this is how we plan to continue!

INTRODUCING WINGMEN DEBUT ALBUM TO BE - All About The Rock

An eagerly anticipated tour by the well-known musicians of Wingmen (they tell me they dislike the term ‘punk supergroup’) touched down near Milton Keynes for their second full show last Friday – Ruth Rae was at the gate to meet them. With live performance taken out of the equation, in that dark period between 2020 and late 2021, musicians had to get creative. I’d only ever worked with Marty before, and up until this day we’ve never actually played in the same room together – I knew Leigh but had never met Baz. The ‘up for it’ crowd were more than happy to participate in singing along to Tom Jones’ ‘ Delilah’ “ They wouldn’t play a new song about murdering your ex on the radio nowadays would they? Although Wingmen's debut album was crafted in seclusion, there's no doubting that the album's ten songs, chock full of dynamic songwriting and performances, sound like a band, despite the unconventional way the album was fashioned.I do like a bit of throw back to the heydays of the 60’s/70’s/80’s when it comes to taking shots of bands. The first taste of Wingmen’s work is ‘ Down In The Hole’, a song which channels the intense moods and feelings that lockdown created. But this is definitely an album that grew on me with each listen and the sound that the Wingmen have created inevitably draws on the collective influences of all their respective bands, with so many sonic nuances bleeding out from the rhythms and melodies weaved through each of the songs. As someone pointed out, the only ironic thing about Alanis Morrisette’s “Ironic” was that there was no irony in it at all.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment