276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Ladies' Midnight Swimming Club

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

As always with Faith Hogan’s work this story is set in the most beautiful landscape of West Ireland. The author has described the village and coastline so well I could see, hear and smell the vision that nature had created. One of those life affirming, inspiring reads that stays with you long after you close the book. I was absolutely charmed by this book; Faith Hogan has written a book full of emotion and spirit, with characters you will take instantly to your heart. Touching on Dan, a writer in search for answers comes to the small Irish coastal town and discovers much more than he ever could have hoped for.

Although there were a few minor characters, the real story is the friendship between Elizabeth and Jo. Be prepared to read this book with a box of tissues, but also, to laugh out loud and cheer for them all. Her latest novel is The Guest House By The Sea - set in the west of Ireland - this is a book to fall in love with. Lucy comes for a short break but lands up by staying longer due to a few circumstances in the book. This book left me feeling upbeat. I loved the closeness of the women and their strength and courage as they faced the ups and downs in their individual lives. This is a story of love, grief, community, and friendship, and it is warm and heartfelt.I loved this novel and audiobook!! The writing is clever and the narrator is just perfect with an easy Irish accent. The 3 main female characters are intelligent and lovely. The decisions they make, often hard ones, create examples of real life in the process. It’s set in a small town or village (a real one) in Ireland on the west coast.

First off, I adore Kate Atkinson, I'd probably be absorbed if she sent me her shopping list. I've also long been a fan of the short story collection - what a wonderful way to deliver a tale. And to have both rolled into one - in an advance copy? It's five stars all round. The Ladies' Midnight Swimming Club is an impressive and thoroughly enjoyable read about three women, Elizabeth O'Shea, her lifelong friend Jo and Jo’s only daughter, Lucy. When Elizabeth's husband dies, leaving her with crippling debt, she must turn to her friend, Jo for help, who calls in her daughter, Lucy to run the village surgery. Leaving her city life, and past demons, behind, Lucy is determined to make the most of her fresh start.I loved the idea of swimming at night in the bracing sea, although personally as a person who doesn’t swim, I found myself desperately wishing I could swim, and wondering if I have left it too late to learn. Just after I had finished this touching novel, a friend of mine was on holiday in Cornwall and found herself invited to join in with a group of women who went swimming every day together. The first day she acted as a spotter for some of the women, but the next day found herself braving the chilly waters and not thinking about the onlookers, to join in with them and swim for a few minutes. She found it both liberating and exhilarating, and it just made me feel even more inspired.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment