276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Jura Aged 10 Years Single Malt Scotch Whisky, 700ml

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I'm well aware others have not had good experiences but mine has only been positive. On the nose I'm getting malted and honeyed coffee beans with light floral and white pepper notes. Neat the arrival is light and silky, really well balanced with a distinct three-phased experience: Light heather and caramel, followed by white pepper, smoke and then a leather and sort of flinty finish. I'm also getting cigar tobacco, parchment and citrus aftertastes with coffee beans. Palate: Oily and subtly spicy at first, before notes of earthy vanilla pod and chocolate-covered raisins develop.

Some of the review I recognise out of the Jura Superstition. But it's better. Hopefully we all get to drink a top class Jura one day, 'cause it's a sympathetic distillery and island. A Jura is certainly not bugger. This bottle I have just bought is pretty nice, in an odd sort of way. It has quite a bit of character, although I am still not altogether convinced i like the Jura character. 40% is about right for it for me, as I don't want that Jura weirdness to be much more intense. I feel a bit the same about Bowmores. I don't think that higher alcohol content is always better in weird whiskies. Pallet: sweet smooth arrival, sweet honey comes first then it’s floury (as in bread dough), there is a suggestion of floral (as in flowers) but then the tequila comes in as you swallow. Drinks as if it’s either very young or at a higher strength than 40. With water still doesn’t go down easy, much more mellow arrival, crème caramel? Really really delicate now. The bread is now toasted, slightly malty and nutty. A guest brought this to me at Christmas and I'm quite glad I didn't hand over my hard earned cash for this bottle.On the nose, the whisky is light and fragrant, with notes of fresh flowers, gentle cinnamon and nutmeg notes, an undercurrent of fresh grains, and the slightest hint of smoke. Largely standard stuff, aromatically speaking, but it all comes together cleanly and invitingly. To my tastes, this Jura 10 Years relaunch is a welcome change and brings a more balanced and inviting character that was missing from the original version. I hope this new approach and style makes its way through their lineup and we start seeing more releases come out that fit along this profile and deliver an even stronger overall portfolio. Jura 10 Years Info Nose: Wafts into the nasal passages with a delicate, fruity aroma, characterized by orange, sweet apple and oak with faint touches of ginger, sea salt and light smoke. That gradually moves in a heavier, richer direction as the fruit gives way to a sweet, earthy vanilla and the oak takes on a peat smoke quality with touches of baking spices. The Isle of Jura Origin is the reincarnation of their standard 10 Year Old. But you know as well as I that batches can vary significantly and the last time I tried this one was in 2010. Seeing that I will be trying a few Jura today, I felt it was a smart thing to do start with this entry level malt again. Taste: dried oranges, again notes of cereal, orange blossoms, honey, oak wood shavings, ginger and a whiff of iodine.

It is oily and sweet on the palate, but immediately shows some wet cardboard and earth. A salty edge, once more. But it is not really fruity. I get some caramel and walnuts. Turns a bit bitter. Palate: Some white pepper and some ginger are the first things I notice. Butter. Heather. There are some oak notes that follow. This is a bit saltier than expected. Salty, but not dry and briny as some maritime whiskies tend to be. Some mild citrus notes come through, too. The nose offers hay, plasticine, manure (I am not kidding), lemons and oranges. Loads of earthy notes and a salty edge. I have to say, I am still not very fond of this. Finish: Short to medium finish. Some lemon rind, ginger ale, salt, white vinegar, and lingering pepper are the last to leave. Nice and even.Isle of Jura has revamped their core range, which now consists of: Journey, 10, 12 and 18 Year Old and the Seven Wood. This 10 Year Old already existed, of course. The composition remained the same: bourbon barrels with an oloroso finish. Old wine in new bottles? I do remember that the Jura 10 was not very much to my liking in the past.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment