276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Future Tense: Why Anxiety is Good for You (Even Though it Feels Bad)

£7.495£14.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

In my current scene, I am trying to show the thought process of the protagonist and I have encountered 2 or 3 places where I have come across this situation. Am I doing something wrong? Should I not come across such situation at all if I am writing in past tense? An old-school noir crime novel set in a futuristic world of sentient robots, self-driving cars and drugs to die for. It is a future that is recognizable from our present and not too far away.

Future Tense: Why Anxiety Is Good for You (Even Though It Future Tense: Why Anxiety Is Good for You (Even Though It

The plot revolves around the Government who has decided to fight against obesity by hiking a tax on anyone who is overweight. Meanwhile a doctor in Florida helps out an overweight client and suddenly finds he has become the chosen medic of an organised crime syndicate. But as he becomes more embroiled in fraud, drug offences and even murder; his crimes are discovered by a robot and he sees an opportunity to get away – or does he?

Has’ in your example would read a little strangely as it could imply that Danny ‘has’ (in the present, continuing moment) jumped from #3 to #6.

Future Tense: Why Anxiety Is Good for You - Goodreads Future Tense: Why Anxiety Is Good for You - Goodreads

So, if someone asks me "What are your plans for Monday and Tuesday" can I answer "I will work" (=I am sure I'll do) or does it have to be "I'm going to work" (because it refers to my plan"? In the same way, can I ask someone "Will you work tomorrow?" or should it be "Are you going to work tomorrow?" Ursula K. Le Guin offers excellent advice on mixing past and present in her writing manual, Steering the Craft:

Success!

I meditate and practice mindfulness regularly so i've known about this for some time now as anxiety is usually when my body is warning me of something that needs to be done to prevent future problems. It's nature's stimulant. I'm most sharp when i'm anxious and i've started to ebb and flow with those states much better now compared to the past. Ultimately, it really is just preparing you to perform so leaning into that discomfort is essential instead of turning away from it. Thank you for this article. Tense has been driving me insane as it feels like there are hundreds of exceptions when it comes to usage of “simple present verbs” in past tense narratives. It makes me want to disregard the entire subject and rely on an editor to catch any mistakes that I don’t naturally leave out.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment