276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Jarrod Lawson

£7.255£14.51Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Hearing the song Universal Chord from Jarrod Lawson’s new album Be the Change had much the same effect as Take 6 did all those years ago, and it’s just as good, if not better.

How does it compare with the USA, then? Is it harder to make an impact there because it’s so large? I think for this album I’ll probably produce myself again. For the third album I’ve toyed with the idea - not because I have to, just because it will be fun - of maybe reaching out to somebody like, say Omar, just because I think the result could be really special. Jarrod’s ‘I Would Die 4 U’ feature accompaniment from Tyrone Hendrix (drums) and Chance Hayden (guitar), both fixtures of the live music scene in Portland, Oregon, where Jarrod lived for most of his life until deciding in late 2022 to relocate to Nashville in search of new musical challenges.

Similar events

I don’t think I can find an appropriate superlative to describe how gifted this young man really is and to make comparisons between him and Marvin Gaye, Donny Hathaway, Leroy Hutson and Stevie Wonder 2017 is in my opinion no way sacreligious as he is overly bestowed with all the qualities that have made the aforementioned into legends. For all that he has perfected his own trademark sound that is steeped in soul, jazz, gospel, latin and blues, all elements he has distilled to perfection to produce his seminal self titled debut lp. Formerly held close as one of the Pacific Northwest’s best-kept musical secrets, Jarrod Lawson has exploded as an international sensation, garnering awards, performing at prestigious venues and spawning fresh notability for Portland's burgeoning soul/jazz music scene. Ever since Lawson released his eponymous debut album in 2014, the smokey voiced singer-songwriter and virtuoso pianist has been sending positive ripples around the globe with his powerful message music. He has completed six successful international tours with prestigious highlights extending from Rotterdam’s North Sea Jazz and the UK’s Love Supreme festivals to Java Jazz festival in Indonesia, with performances in Beijing, Melbourne and at Tokyo’s Billboard Live. His very first overseas performance was at the world famous Ronnie Scott’s Club in London in 2014, following which the Jazzwise reviewer wrote: “With the deafening buzz surrounding this gig Lawson has to show and prove, and he does so and then some, pretty much from the downbeat” http://www.soulandjazzandfunk.com/interviews/3435-jazz-fm-award-winner-jarrod-lawson-talks-exclusively-to-sjf.html

Described by the London Evening Standard as “the blue eyed soul boy of jazz”, Lawson followed his debut album with a limited edition vinyl EP “Jarrod Lawson At The BBC”, recorded at London’s historic BBC Maida Vale studios and broadcast on the Gilles Peterson Worldwide Show. I flew in from Chicago. We were doing a little US tour and we were right on the tail end of the tour when I got the call: ‘we’d really like to bring you to London for this award show,’ and I was like (laughs) okay, I’d better not go home then. So I literally flew straight from Chicago. For the first time in 10 years Atlanta vocalists Anthony David and Algebra Blessett come together for an emotionally charged performance of the 1988 BeBe and CeCe Winans #1 Gospel and R&B hit “Heaven”. Their acoustic version of the song – which has received praise from BeBe Winans himself - has now become a Billboard Top 10 Gospel hit, with airplay on more than 100 Gospel and Adult R&B radio stations across the US.

I first came across Jarrod when he appeared as a guest vocalist on Jarrod acclaimed trumpet player Farnell Newtons 2011 lp ‘Class Is Now In Session’. Then in the autumn of 2013 Farnell, who is one of the mainstay brass section members for Prince and Jill Scott, posted a link to a sampler for Jarrods lp. A limited pressing was hastily snapped up by an appreciative fanbase and the rest as they say is now history. cheap nfl jerseys California born Jarrod is now based in Portland, Oregon and along with Farnell is deeply involved with the cities burgeoning soul/ jazz scene. His first exposure to music came as a child at his fathers recording studio he then further developed the joint skills of lyric and melody writing whilst at college. Full Flava, led by UK producer/songwriter Rob Derbyshire, have over the past couple of years released a series of remixes of key songs from their 20-year history. Working with a stellar line-up of US and UK female vocalists - including CeCe Peniston, Chantay Savage, Carleen Anderson, Donna Gardier and Incognito’s Joy Rose - they cover a wide range of styles from disco to Latin, soulful house to soul-jazz. The label has been blessed to work with so many talented artists from the US and UK in its quest to deliver the finest in soul, R&B and dance music, and many of its newer followers from around the world are only now beginning to discover just how many gems there are in the Dome catalogue. This compilation will help that process of discovery, and there are many more great artists to be featured in Volume 2. Jarrod Lawson, the singer-songwriter-keyboardist from Portland, Oregon who emerged seemingly out of nowhere at 37 with a debut album that took the jazz and soul world by storm, has completed recording of his long awaited second album.

It’s a huge honour. For me to see my face on this little marquee right here next to D’Angelo and Lalah Hathaway, it feels like I’m living somebody else’s life (laughs)… It’s changed a lot. It’s been a year of growth for me in a lot of ways, as you’d expect when a person goes from tuning pianos every day to suddenly touring all over the world and getting to share my gift all over the world.He is accompanied by a band that benefits from the rhythmic presence of Grammy-nominated percussionist Sammy Figueroa, whose playing in a lengthy career has graced albums by artists as diverse as Miles Davis, Sonny Rollins, Quincy Jones, Hall & Oates, Carole King and Chic. Formerly held close as one of the Pacific Northwest’s best-kept musical secrets, Jarrod Lawson has exploded as an international sensation, garnering awards, performing at prestigious venues and spawning fresh notability for Portland’s burgeoning soul/jazz music scene. Ever since Lawson released his eponymous debut album in 2014, the smokey voiced singer-songwriter and virtuoso pianist has been sending positive ripples around the globe with his powerful message music. He has completed six successful international tours with prestigious highlights extending from Rotterdam’s North Sea Jazz and the UK’s Love Supreme festivals to Java Jazz festival in Indonesia, with performances in Beijing, Melbourne and at Tokyo’s Billboard Live. His very first overseas performance was at the world famous Ronnie Scott’s Club in London in 2014, following which the Jazzwise reviewer wrote: “With the deafening buzz surrounding this gig Lawson has to show and prove, and he does so and then some, pretty much from the downbeat” Jarrod is Blessed with a voice steeped in reverence for the great soul singers that have gone before him. Yet he brings a fresh unique approach and sound of all his own. Jarrod expresses this in his innovative arrangements and original compositions as well. Jarrod’s first memories were made exploring his own father’s recording studio in Redwood City, California—the family residence at the time. His parents still declare that it was never difficult to find young Jarrod; just follow the sound of humming or drumming. At two years of age, Jarrod had found his way to the drum-kit which created in him a highly rhythmic sensibility that can be witnessed in his keyboard playing to this day. His profound ability at bass support creates a rhythm section of his left hand alone. In a trio setting with guitar and drums, it was once remarked that the band needed no bass player as “a bassist would just get in Jarrod’s way.”

This October the phenomenon that is Jarrod Lawson arrives in Europe. With his brand of harmony laden and spiritually charged soul jazz he has taken the damage quality music world by storm. Says Anthony: Algebra and I really enjoy working together, both on stage and in the studio. We chose ‘Heaven’ for our first duet in a long while because it’s a feel good classic we grew up on”. Among the other original recordings included are the Rahsaan Patterson-composed Want, a collaboration with UK vocalist Beverlei Brown on Could Be You, Taylor’s beautiful take on the Anita Baker classic Angel and his version of the Kenny Gamble-Bunny Sigler song Love, Need and Want You, first recorded in the Eighties by Patti Labelle.During my 40 plus years of being an appreciative music collector I can only recall a handful of lp’s that have touched Review me so emphatically on first listen and continued to do so on subsequent listens. From the opening syncopated beats of ‘Music & Its Magical Way’, where Jarrod entreats us “welcome”, to the luscious closing flute, synth motif of ‘Gotta Keep’ you know you have been on a beautiful journey. A journey filled with harmonies so all embracing you nach have to catch yourself to stay rooted Tongue to the floor (‘All That Surrounds’ and ‘He’s There’ need special mention in that respect). He is also master of the jazz keyboard as is displayed so deftly in the soul/ latin jazz mash up of ‘Think About Why’. ‘Needed’ can only be described as a soul classic with it’s impressive arrangement and Jarrods sweet as cheap nba jerseys honey falsetto vocals. Jarrod joined his college’s esteemed music program and sang in the Chamber Choir along with singing and playing piano for the college jazz ensemble. While honing his performance-craft, Jarrod continued developing his composition talents in melody, harmony, chord progressions and lyricism and much of that developed into the mature and steadfast compositions that we hear in Jarrod’s music now. The mature composition and performance heard now in Jarrod Lawson has made him wildly and widely popular in the Pacific Northwest—sharing stages with the likes of Bilal, Average White Band, Angelique Kidjo and Ronnie Laws. He has performed with Portland sensations like Farnell Newton, SoulMates and international star Liv Warfield who refers to Jarrod Lawson as “The Truth.” Maybe best of all for Jarrod, so far, was performing at Stevie Wonder’s birthday party. It has been. For me, I think the whole experience is so humbling because I never expected any of this. I didn’t record my album thinking this is going to stir up the world and change things… I hoped that it would do good things and that it would be an opportunity for me and be a launching pad for me to share what I do with the world but I never could have predicted the trajectory that I’ve been on now for the last year. It’s been incredible.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment