276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Jack the Ripper: The Casebook

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

With the progress made in forensic science it would have been possible today to have matched the blood samples found in the room with that of Emily, Robert Wood and any other suspect. This was a luxury the police at that time did not have. The existence of blood only served to prove that the assailant had tried to clean himself before leaving. Both breasts were more or less removed by circular incisions, the muscle down to the ribs being attached to the breasts. The intercostals between the fourth, fifth, and sixth ribs were cut through and the contents of the thorax visible through the openings. Subjects: Stewart Evans - Morris Lubnowski - Seaside Home - Robert Anderson - Scott Nelson - Woolf Abrahams - Aaron Kosminski - Donald Swanson - Dark green chintz skirt, 3 flounces, brown button on waistband. The skirt is patterned with Michaelmas daisies and golden lilies.

It is estimated that it would have taken less than ten minutes to reach Mitre Square. This leaves a thirty minute gap from the time she leaves the police station to the time she is seen outside of Mitre Square.

In 1907 Bert and Emily were living as Mr and Mrs Shaw in St Pauls Road. By day Emily was a dutiful housewife; once Bert had left for work she returned to her previous calling, apparently missing the entertainment provided by the many public houses in Euston Road, particularly the Pindar of Wakefield and the Rising Sun. The idea that the Ripper may have had some level of medical knowledge is derived from the fact that, in some cases, certain organs were removed from the bodies of his victims. Some doctors believed they detected medical precision in his cuts – others claimed he had no training whatsoever, not even that of a butcher. I made a post mortem examination at half past two on Sunday afternoon. Rigor mortis was well marked; body not quite cold. Green discoloration over the abdomen. Julia Venturney says that Joe Barnett is of good character and was kind to Mary Jane, giving her money on occasion.

Hutchinson first came to our attention with his detailed, and according to some Ripper authors, too detailed account of a suspect seen with Mary Kelly shortly before she was murdered. The detailed description Hutchinson gave has caused some to view him with growing suspicion. The result of which has led Hutchinson himself to now be considered one of the leading Ripper suspects. Here is Hutchinson's statement. One man who embodied all these dire characteristics was William Henry Bury. Born in Stourbridge, Worcestershire, in 1859, Bury spent his teenage years and early twenties in Wolverhampton, Dewsbury (allegedly) and Birmingham before decamping to the East End of London in 1887. There he married Ellen Elliot, a prostitute who perhaps surprisingly was possessed of an inheritance and whom he proceeded to bleed dry, in all respects because in addition to squandering Ellen's money on drink Bury was also habitually violent towards her. In January, 1889, with the Ripper's work done in Whitechapel, Bury dragged Ellen off to Dundee where three weeks later he murdered her. He was executed on April 24th. Profiling” has fast become the buzz-word of the criminal detection industry. Some, like John Douglas, believe it is a reliable means of investigation. Others dispute this, however, claiming that such profiles rely too heavily on highly impractical generalizations. c. 1879: At the age of 16 she marries a collier named Davies. He is killed in an explosion two or three years later. There is a suggestion that there might have been a child in this marriage. I believe that he lives in the neighbourhood and I fancied that I saw him in Petticoat Lane on Sunday morning, but I was not certain.

The Ripper seemed to follow a fairly regimented modus operandi when dispatching his victims. In many cases there seems to be evidence of strangulation, followed by the severance of the carotid artery, which caused near-immediate death. Then he performed various abdominal/genital/facial mutilations, to varying degrees. On some victims there were only a few cuts and stab wounds, while others were mutilated beyond recognition. The wounds on the face and abdomen prove that they were inflicted by a sharp, pointed knife, and that in the abdomen by one six inches or longer. There are several consistent patterns to be found among the Ripper’s victims. Most of them were between the ages of 39 and 47. They were locally resident in the East End, and most, if not all of them engaged in prostitution. Many of them were habitual drunks. They were all estranged from their husbands and families. Thursday-Friday, November 8-9: Almost every day after the split, Barnett would visit Mary Jane. On Friday the ninth he stops between 7:30 and 7:45 PM. He says she is in the company of another woman who lives in Miller's Court. This may have been Lizzie Albrook who lived at 2 Miller's Court. Reasons for suspicion: "David Cohen" is the only insane Polish Jew who was committed to an asylum at the right time for the murders to stop - and the only registered lunatic pauper admitted to Colney Hatch between 1888-1890 who fits the extremely violent suspect described by Anderson, Macnaghten and Swanson. He also - in contrast to Aaron Kosminski - died shortly after the canonical Ripper murders ceased.

The face was very much mutilated. There was a cut about a quarter of an inch through the lower left eyelid, dividing the structures completely through. The upper eyelid on that side, there was a scratch through the skin on the left upper eyelid, near to the angle of the nose. The right eyelid was cut through to about half an inch. The left calf showed a long gash through skin and tissues to the deep muscles and reaching from the knee to five inches above the ankle. Both arms and forearms had extensive jagged wounds. The lining membrane over the uterus was cut through. The womb was cut through horizontally, leaving a stump of three quarters of an inch. The rest of the womb had been taken away with some of the ligaments. The vagina and cervix of the womb was uninjured. The bladder was healthy and uninjured, and contained three or four ounces of water. There was a tongue-like cut through the anterior wall of the abdominal aorta. The other organs were healthy. There were no indications of connexion.

Some Ripper authors have suggested Abberline sussed Hutchinson and knew he was lying, but just could not prove he was the Ripper, and that the detectives sent to accompany him around, hoping to spot the suspect he described, were actually keeping an eye on him to stop him killing, or even better, catch him in the act. I personally do not believe Abberline doubted Hutchinson's statement for one moment. For Hutchinson described exactly who the police at the time thought the Ripper was, a foreign looking Jew. Swanson, Macnaghten, Anderson and even Abberline with his favoured suspect, George Chapman, all believed the Ripper was foreign and Jewish looking. Therefore, when along comes George Hutchinson with his detailed description of a foreign looking suspect, perfect. PM: City PC Louis Robinson comes across Eddowes surrounded by a crowd outside 29 Aldgate High Street. She is very drunk and laying in a heap on the pavement. Robinson asks those in the crowd if anyone knew her, no one replied. He pulled her up to her feet and leaned her against the building's shutters but she slipped sideways. With the aid of City PC 959 George Simmons they brought her to Bishopsgate Police Station.Louis Robinson City Police Constable 931 said at Kate's inquest 'On the 29th at 8.30 I was on duty in Aldgate Hight Street, I saw a crowd of persons outside No. 29 - I saw there a woman whom I have since recognised as the Deceased lying on the footway drunk. I asked if there was one that knew her or knew where she lived but I got no answer.' The intestines were drawn out to a large extent and placed over the right shoulder -- they were smeared over with some feculent matter. A piece of about two feet was quite detached from the body and placed between the body and the left arm, apparently by design. The lobe and auricle of the right ear were cut obliquely through.

The abdominal walls were divided in the middle line to within a quarter of an inch of the navel. The cut then took a horizontal course for two inches and a half towards the right side. It then divided round the navel on the left side, and made a parallel incision to the former horizontal incision, leaving the navel on a tongue of skin. Attached to the navel was two and a half inches of the lower part of the rectus muscle on the left side of the abdomen. The incision then took an oblique direction to the right and was shelving. The incision went down the right side of the vagina and rectum for half an inch behind the rectum. Stories have circulated about items – rings, farthings, etc. – being placed “ritually” at the feet of Annie Chapman, but this was an invention of the press. No rings and no farthings were found at the scene of the crime, only a piece of envelope, some muslin, and a broken comb.Down East" - The West End takes a look at the East End (accompanied by a policeman, of course) in this article from "The Metropolitan", 14th September 1872. A look at the nightlife of the East End from a German dancehall to a "penny gaff" in Whitechapel. At the time of her death, Catherine Eddowes is suffering from Bright's Disease, a form of Uremia. Friends spoke of Catherine as an intelligent, scholarly woman but one who was possessed of a fierce temper. Yes! Conferences are held every year in alternate locations - U.K. one year, U.S. the next. The next conference will be held in April 2004 in Baltimore, MD, U.S.A.. It will feature Colin Wilson, Donald Rumbelow, and many other well-known Ripperologists. More information is available at http://www.casebook.org/2004/. Spitalfields (Part I)" - Article from "The Copartnership Herald", Vol. I, no. 10 (December 1931), covering the early history of Spitalfields and the Old Artillery Ground up to the 17th century. Then there was Robert Wood. He maintained throughout that his reasons for keeping his love of pubs and loose women a close secret was to protect his father who was in ill health. In the event that the testimony of Crabtree and the other prostitutes, reformed or otherwise, was true then there is no doubt that Wood had lied on oath and possibly about everything else. He was an unreliable witness.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment