276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Still Bill

£4.895£9.79Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Lean On Me singer Bill Withers dies at 81", BBC News, April 4, 2020, archived from the original on April 3, 2020 ; "Bill Withers, 'Lean On Me,' 'Ain't No Sunshine' singer, dies at 81". WSOC-TV.

But by then, Withers was understandably worn down. It seems incredible in retrospect, but his record company rejected so many of his songs as unsuitable or of insufficient quality that seven years separated Watching You Watching Me from its predecessor. He made do in the interim with guest appearances on others’ albums, and if you’re in the market for another overlooked Withers classic, you could do worse than his collaboration with the Crusaders, Soul Shadows. You couldn’t really blame him for walking away – especially given that his greatest hits were the kind of greatest hits that meant their author would never have to work again.

We're used to seeing extraordinary talent from eccentrics - the guys who don't handle moderation well and are more likely to get tattoos. Withers is one of the greatest songwriters who ever lived, but he'd rather blend in than stand out. Whatever is in his DNA that produced "Lean On Me" didn't separate him from reality. His flaws are common ones: He makes bad fashion choices, is baffled by computers, and gives his daughter Kori criticism when she needs encouragement. He also swells with pride when his son is accepted to law school, and is moved to tears when Kori, who is wired for music, records with him in his studio. Sisario, Ben (September 30, 2015). "D'Angelo Cancels Performance at Bill Withers Tribute Show". The New York Times . Retrieved November 17, 2020. He then poured his experiences of growing up in Slab Fork, a tough coal-mining town with a strong community ethos, into Lean on Me.

British single certifications – Bill Withers – Lean on Me". British Phonographic Industry . Retrieved November 24, 2023. In the animated series Amphibia, the song plays at the climax of the first-season finale "Reunion". ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2020 Singles" (PDF). Australian Recording Industry Association . Retrieved June 26, 2020. Julia Tallman from West VirginiaOne of my very favorite singers and songwriters, who is so modest. A truly wonderful and talented man, who's songs will be enjoyed for generations.a b c d e f g h i j k l Greene, Andy (April 14, 2015). "Bill Withers: The Soul Man Who Walked Away". Rolling Stone . Retrieved August 26, 2015. Cash Box YE Pop Singles - 1972". tropicalglen.com. Archived from the original on September 28, 2018 . Retrieved March 21, 2018. a b c "Bill Withers, 'Lean On Me' and 'Lovely Day' Singer, Dies at 81". BBC News. April 3, 2020 . Retrieved November 17, 2020.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment