276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Rape of the Fair Country

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

And that is what raped this fair country, and huge swathes of other fair countries as well - money, and abused power. It wasn't, and it still isn't, a purely Welsh problem - it's a universal one, one felt as much in post industrial England today as it is in the Welsh valleys. Although this book does get to that conclusion ultimately, it is still cloaked in a much too parochial anti-Englishness throughout most of the book for my liking. If you can get past the title, which makes it sound like a Mills and Boon bodice-ripper, the rewards are great! This is the delightful, though, at times, harrowing tale of Iestyn Mortymer, a boy from Blaenavon caught up in the birth of the unions and Chartism amidst the beauty of the Brecon hills and valleys, brought to life by another Blaenavon boy, Matt Addis. But for me, as a very proud Welshman, it can be a little anti-English in its sentiments at times. The author isn't Welsh, though he settled here eventually, and had an obviously very strong affinity with the country. But in his constant anti English rantings;

Although there are flaws in this book - the place of the Welsh language in the narrative, and the inaccurate use of "Wenglish", the portrayal of women, and many of the historical details, this is nevertheless a powerful, powerful story. I would listen to this again and again, I had read the book before (hard copy) and enjoyed it but this added a new dimension It is about the rise of Chartism in the south est Wales valleys in the early 19th century, seen through the eyes of young steelworker, Iestyn Mortimer. The shift in the piece takes place through his father's changing attitudes - at first, loyal to the owner's, but slowly seeing the inequalities perpetrated by the wealthy landowners, he shifts his perspective.The book centres around Iestyn Mortymer, growing up as a child labourer in the mines of the south Wales valleys - fighting, drinking, seducing and struggling under the watchful eye of his strict Calvinistic father. The attitude of “Dada” Hywel is played off against Iestyn’s older sister Morfydd, who clearly represents the reformist views which would come to prominence in industrial Wales. Those who accept their fates versus those who strive for more is always a compelling theme. The sights and sounds of his upbringing are well detailed as he tries to steer himself through this harsh life. Maybe it is because it is coming from the perspective of a young hot-blooded Iestyn, but it seems like every introduction of a female character begins with a description of her breasts and what they are doing (e.g. quivering, bouncing) which is always a bit weird if a woman isn't moving.

Matt Addis completely captured the mood of the book from the start. The characters all had their own personalities, which is quite a feat with such a cast of supporting roles, and he brought a warm lilt to the narrative; like the style of the book itself, his storytelling was subtle yet powerful. Cordell is at pains to point out through the mouths of his Chartist characters that the appalling conditions the workers endured were not confined to South Wales. He is not, however, interested in giving a social or economic overview, but simply in portraying the price paid by the people of Wales. This short passage, for me, was the most moving: For me, the best parts of this story were the details of everyday life, love and survival during a period when working people had few choices or freedoms. Cordell's prose often verges on the poetic to create a vivid picture of the life and times of Iestyn Mortymer. I was particularly interested in the story of Iestyn's older sister, Morfydd, who struggles against convention and suffers for her pioneering opinions on politics and the role of womenThere also exist audio versions of the book in circulation read by Philip Madoc and there have been successive attempts to get the book made into a film. [3] Have you seen the iron of Cyfarthfa, then?” he asked, struggling up. “Have you even heard of Merthyr, that is dying under Crawshay? Have you heard of Crawshay, even?” There were elements I did enjoy in the latter half of the book. The book does well to capture the community control of the Scotch Cattle and the excitement surrounding the growing Chartist movement. Zephaniah Williams and John Frost were and are giants of the working class campaign for universal (male) suffrage, political transparency and fairness for all. Industrially it was volatile moment in Welsh history and radical politics and protest came to the fore against shameful exploitation and destruction, there were even whispers of a Welsh Republic. But he was still. Quite still he lay in the fading light of the torches, and his hands were frozen to the musket he held.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment