276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The City And The Pillar

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Also, spoiler: he literally sexually assaulted men and even raped one, from my understanding (and the edition I listened to). Neto do senador Thomas Gore, enteado do padrasto de Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, primo distante de Al Gore, Gore Vidal sempre se revelou um espelho crítico das grandezas e misérias dos EUA.

Vidal's tragic gay love story was no doubt brave and groundbreaking for it's time, but imitators have diminished the story and contemporary readers will likely find the themes cliche. Like so many of his literary contemporaries, the character of Jim struggles to reconcile his physical desires with his yearning to live a "normal" heterosexual life, but Vidal doesn't belabor the point. Instead, he ensconces Jim within the pre-liberation bar scene without defining him by it. Vidal made a concerted effort to sculpt masculine queers - an aim contemporary gay novels don't hold as dear - and while he succeeds at times one wonders if he didn't rely on misogyny to achieve his desired effect. Perhaps, the novel's true legacy is to serve as a document of evolving gay self-identity. Overall, The City and The Pillar merits a read for it's historical importance and for the accuracy of Vidal's prose, just don't expect the same sense of affinity earlier readers found. THE CITY AND THE PILLAR is a gay coming of age story, much like OTEHR VOICES, OTHER ROOMS. Except that in this story the hero comes to despise his first love, and all the men who come after that, and the human race in general, and himself most of all. All the descriptions are ugly, flat, and lifeless, and the characters are barely recognizable as human beings with feelings and regrets. This book is ugly and unpleasant and has very little appeal to a sensitive reader. It's not even a strident rallying cry for gay rights -- more of a strident exclamation of disgust at life in general. Jim decides he wants to go to sea too and becomes a cabin boy on a cruise ship after going to New York City to look for work. Another seaman on his ship, Collins, goes out with him in Seattle, but is more interested in a double date with two girls than in sex with Jim. The date is a disaster for Jim, who must realize that he is unable to drink enough to overcome being repelled by the female body. When he finally storms out, Collins calls him a queer, which causes him to think about this possibility.

ve baskı ise çok çok iyi. Hatta baskıyı o kadar beğendim ki Helikopter Yayınları'nın bastığı diğer kitapları da gözü kapalı okuyacağım. Yine Gore Vidal'ın diğer kitaplarını Literatür Yayınları basmış. Onları da aynı şekilde bir an önce okuyacağım. Türün meraklılarına kesinlikle ve şiddetle öneririm. Update: I just read this author's "The Messiah". No matter what one might think about this author's writing ability, one has to admit he was not afraid to take on any subject, which did indeed end all of his political aspirations. More of a surprise was The City and the Pillar, which I had read as a young man and remember hating. I was probably looking for more of a romance, or a fairy tale (happily ever after). This novel is not a romance, but is grounded in the social realism of its day — which does lift the spirits of a fearful young gay reader. The plot centers on Jim Willard, a handsome youth in Virginia in the late 1930s, who is also a very good tennis player. When his best friend Bob Ford, one year his senior, is about to leave high school, the two take a camping trip into the woods. Both are elated to be in each other's company and, after some moaning from Bob about how difficult it is to get the local girls to have sex with him, the two have sex, even though Bob thinks this is not a "normal" thing for two men to do. They also knew his patrician manner, transatlantic accent, and witty aphorisms. Vidal came from a distinguished political lineage; his grandfather was the senator Thomas Gore, and he later became a relation (through marriage) to Jacqueline Kennedy.

The brilliant maneuver that The City and the Pillar plays, and what elevates it above being a mere twist on a standard coming-of-age novel, is to present this dynamic as Tragically Noble at the very outset and then spend the bulk of the book misdirecting the reader from the fundamental misguidedness and toxicity of Jim's fantasy until it explodes in the final chapter, flipping the reader from affectionate pity to horror in the space of a paragraph. Why should any of us hide? What we do is natural, if not 'normal,' whatever that is. In any case, what people do together of their own free will is their business and no one else's." Jim's wishful delusions about sexuality - early on, that he's not quite so queer, and later on that everyone else isn't quite so straight - are painfully evocative of a couple-year period in my own life. So too was the weird noble-feeling but ultimately self-denying ideal of the Twin/Brother-Lover, with its heroic precedents, free of the sense of ridiculousness and powerlessness that can come with unabashed desire (see also: Car Seat Headrest's Twin Fantasy, Sufjan Steven's "The Predatory Wasp of the Palisades Is Out To Get Us", et al.) Drewey Wayne Gunn, ed. (2003). The Golden Age of Gay Fiction. Albion, New York: MLR Press. p.3 (Ian Young). We also can't forget about the overall SA glorification in this one. One character was talking about how it turned him on when women told him to stop. I'm about to throw hands.

While trotting along with yawn-inducing Jim on his adventures, we are introduced at the halfway mark in the book to a jaded young writer named Paul Sullivan -- clearly patterned after Vidal himself -- and all of a sudden the life-essence missing heretofore springs up. Paul is a cerebral, interesting character who has thought profoundly about his situation as both an outsider artistic soul and gay man. In characterizing Paul's plight Vidal hits pay dirt, and I kept saying to myself, "Here's the damned book Vidal should have written! Paul is interesting. Paul thinks interestingly." Well, this was a whole lot darker than I’d expected. I’ve given it 4 stars, but as I’m reflecting on it more perhaps it should be 5, if only for what it stood for and meant in 1948? Unfortunately, I'm saying no. In my opinion, Vidal fails to realize the heart-wrenching potential of this material, and the book, by and large, is bland and boring.

They fell into distinct social and historical camps. Alongside his social, his best known historical include Julian, Burr, and Lincoln. His third novel, The City and the Pillar (1948), outraged conservative critics as the first major feature of unambiguous homosexuality. What the book needed was the French touch, not the Hemingway touch; instead of leaden plot, more poetic feeling. The penny plainness of it all saps the mystery. Nell'America degli anni Quaranta, come oggi, non c'è nulla di più scandaloso dell'attentare al concetto di "normale". Riscrivere le categorie, rivedere i confini, definire l'indefinibile, mettere a norma l'anormale. Can you believe this quote, more than 20 years before Stonewall -- I wish we could all be as articulate... The City and the Pillar is the third published novel by American writer Gore Vidal, written in 1946 and published on January 10, 1948. The story is about a young man who is coming of age and discovers his own homosexuality. [2]Jim, who does not find girls so appealing, hopes Bob can stay and is crushed when Bob is insistent on joining the United States Merchant Marine. The next seven years of Jim's life will be an odyssey, at the end of which he hopes to be happily reunited with Bob. For the rest of the novel, Jim loses complete touch with Bob Ford for all those intervening years and obsesses over him during hopeless travels of the world in search of him -- an epic journey that takes him to various ports of call as a civilian seaman, and then across the US and Mexico as a Hollywood tennis instructor, a private in the air force in World War II and more. During this time, he meets a succession of male lovers who for him can never match the ideal of his first love and that first encounter, and thus all of these relationships are empty for him, reminding him of what he doesn't have and so desperately wants. Gore Vidal and Truman Capote were both gay men, and both Southerners. Both became literary sensations right after World War II by writing about homosexuality with frankness at a time when it was still absolutely forbidden to discuss the subject in public. Kent ve Tuz, içselleştirdiği toplumsal koşullandırmalar doğrultusunda, insanın "doğası" gereği heteroseksüel olmak zorunda olduğunu düşünen, ancak kadınlara karşı da herhangi bir cinsel çekim hissetmeyen genç bir erkek olan Jim’in, homoseksüel çevrelerde farklı ilişki formlarındaki konumlanışını ve kendini arayış sürecini işliyor. Jim’in bu yolculuktaki kılavuzu ise, ilk gençlik yıllarında yakın arkadaşı Bob ile yaşadığı duygusal ve cinsel yakınlaşmanın ideali ve Bob’a günün birinde yeniden kavuşacak olmanın hayali.

Halperin, David M. (2012). How to Be Gay (1sted.). Cambridge, Massachusetts: The Belnap Press of Harvard University Press. p.47. ISBN 978-0-674-06679-3. It was said by Vidal in a 2006 NPR interview that parts of the dynamic of The City and the Pillar were softened for the public and applied to the script for Ben-Hur which Vidal and others were called in to re-work. [ citation needed] Featured in media [ edit ]

Vidal bu romanıyla alışılageldik cinsiyet rollerine ve toplumun cinsel yönelimlere bakışına önemli eleştiriler yöneltiyor. Bunun yanısıra, 2. Dünya Savaşı dönemi Amerikan entelijansiyasının durumu ve bazı politik konular da ucundan kıyısından masaya yatırılanlar arasında. When Jim finally goes home for Christmas, he learns that his father is dead and (more alarming to him) that Bob has married. Hoping their affair can resume despite this, Jim is anxious to see him again.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment