276°
Posted 20 hours ago

LSI Internal PCI-Express SAS/SATA HBA, 9211-8I, 8-Port 6Gb/s Controller Card

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

that way if i replace a card it doesn't matter it will work on boot as there is no boot bios to conflict with it. And the 9211-8i is totally the pimp when used with FreeNAS. Due to a case switch, I now use 3 of them along with an Intel SAS expander over 2 chassis and all is totally groovey. It is no secret that the LSI 1068e controller was one of, if not the most widely supported SAS controllers around but 3.0gbps serial interconnects have given way to 6.0gbps interconnects. Unlike the LSI 1068e based parts, support for things like 3TB drives is much better on 6.0gbps parts to the point where I have yet to encounter an issue. The LSI 9211-8i is a relatively inexpensive low-profile controller with no cache but that can do RAID levels 0, 1 and 10 on its eight 6.0gbps ports. Based upon the LSI SAS2008 chipset the LSI 9211-8i can handle over 2.0GB/s of sequential I/O which I saw using 3.0gbps SandForce SSDs. The connectivity is provided by a pair of SFF-8087 ports that exit the rear of the card. This rear facing orientation lines up well with many chassis where the connectors point towards drive bay connections. 8x Sandorce SSDs on LSI 2008 in RAID 0 ATTO using two 4-drive arrays

Flash upgrading firmware on LSI SAS HBAs; Upgraded firmware Flash upgrading firmware on LSI SAS HBAs; Upgraded firmware

In some cases (especially leasing), you might not even be ABLE to sell the hardware, because strictly speaking it isn't yours. So in the model where you go and lease the servers and then buy them for a dollar at the end of the lease, you actually HAVE to hold on to the cards, because selling the leasing company's cards would be theft. CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI  no idea why the dates are off, probably a documentation bug, most everything in this .zip file is dated March 2016, except the BIOS date is right)mpsutil also shows BIOS version 7.19 and UEFI version 7.18 - these also seem outdated. I found a 7.39 BIOS and a 7.27 UEFI. Running Freenas 11.2-U8 on a Dell Poweredge T310 on an aftermarket OEM LSI HBA card already in IT mode, that I thought was an LSI 9211-8i, but it turns out its actually an OEM IBM 9200 / SAS2008. If you have multiple cards then select the appropriate one using the appropriate option (e.g. "-c ") !! mps0: port 0xfc00-0xfcff mem 0xdf1bc000-0xdf1bffff,0xdf1c0000-0xdf1fffff irq 16 at device 0.0 on pci2 If I do the above command for one card then for the second card don't include the -b flag will that ensure the bios isn't loaded?..

LSI 9240-8i and LSI IBM ServeRAID M1015 - Difference between LSI 9240-8i and LSI

Looking for a better controller I’ve learned the popular LSI 9211-8i, which is optimal for my setup as well (8xHDD). The only disadvantage of the card is the IR firmware, which shall be overwritten at home by the IT version. People out there claimed with a lot of frustration attempting to overwrite the firmware. My experience has confirmed this and after a week of try-and-error, ending in success I've thought to share my experience. The H200 (the card with two internal ports) comes with the IR one, whereas the PERC 6Gbps SAS HBA comes with the IT one. The hardware is exactly the same. These are 12x4TB storage servers rented from OVH. They use Supermicro boards, Avago 9211-4i cards, and HGST 7k6000 SAS drives (512 sector size models). You can add up to two USB flash drives to these servers for an additional fee, so I added 2x64GB and mirrored FreeNAS boot. For a while I had three systems, all at once, at home but I am making some hardware changes right now and only one NAS is online.

The problem was how to flash the card for your motherboards. Unlike what Linus Tech Tips suggests, it doesn’t matter which motherboard you have. What matters is that you need access to an EFI shell where you can easily run some command to change the mode and flash the card. I also don't enjoy trawling through thousands of forum posts and I had to open about 50 tabs, just to advance this far. Maybe this will help someone later. Currently the whole system is working, but it only detects drives during BIOS, and drives passed through to FreeNas works, except HotPlug/ Hotswap is not working... You can reboot then, when Controller initializes press control-C to define boot device, and then go into the system bios for set boot device.

LSI Internal SATA/SAS 9211-8i 6Gb/s PCI-Express 2.0 RAID

Partly it’s because I have enough GPU’s to fill every one of these computers and still have spares, and I want them running a Folding Farm. However, since the entire Folding Farm’s CPU’s and GPU’s are going to be part of the same chilled water loop, there’s PLENTY of air cooling for hard drives…. That, and older CPU’s (anything older than C2D/A64X2) won’t be Folding, they’ll be dedicated to their server 🙂 But any hardware, even brand-new units from a top-rated fab like Supermicro, can suddenly go bad. All we can do is try to spread the risk. I have over 100 misc E-IDE/PATA and old SATA Hard Drives, ranging from 20GB to 400GB (PATA) and from 80GB to 1.5TB (SATA), and I’m trying to get as many up and running as possible.Pool0 = 3x2TB RAIDZ-1 (mixed 2 Seagate, 1 Hitachi), Pool1 = 4TBx3 RAIDZ-1 (Seagate ST4000DM000-1F2168)

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment