276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Good Servant: From the No.1 Sunday Times bestselling author comes a sweeping Royal historical fiction romance novel to escape with in summer 2023!

£4.495£8.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Loyal up until circumstances take Marion down a different path, her words her twisted, her actions questioned and her loyalty broken. She told of what happened behind palace walls. She broken the trust. But did she? Was she a victim of something else, influence by those around her who were fed up of being in her shadow? in Britain, was the year of three kings – King George V, who died; King Edward VIII, who abdicated; and King George VI. Marion’s funeral in 1988 was a lonely one. There were no wreaths from the Royal Family. Her royal pension was paid until the day she died”. Windsor Castle. At first this ordinary woman is in a new world, working as governess to two young princesses Elizabeth & Margaret, in a household she calls home but where everyone is at a distance. As the course of history changes, she finds herself companion to the future Queen, and indispensable to the crown. And slowly their needs become her needs. Their lives become hers. It’s then she meets George, and falls in love for the first time. Now Marion faces an impossible choice: her sense of duty or the love of her life.

In 2011 Fern Britton would write her first novel, which would be titled ‘New Beginnings,’ and it would be a stand-alone romance novel. The following year in 2012 she would start her ‘Hidden Treasures’ series of romance novels, starting with the book also named ‘Hidden Treasures.’ These titles would fast see her becoming successful, as many would come to appreciate her as a fully fledged author in her own right. This is a fictionalized account of a true story. Marion Crawford is a young teacher with ambitious goals to help unprivileged children when fate takes her on a new path and she becomes a governess to two young princesses, Lilibet and Margaret. Ma non si parla di due giovani ragazze che vede crescere e educare, ma una di loro è persino la futura Regina d'Inghilterra.We see Marion Crawford from 1932 in Dunfermline. She is intent on studying child psychology at Glasgow University (would this have been open to women in the 1930s, or even available as a subject at all?). The Governess role to the royals opens up as a summer job. Marion accepts and is then in effect stopped by the Duchess of York from disengaging. What started as a holiday job comes to occupy 17 years -- the best years of her life -- in the education and surrogate parenting of the princesses.

The Good Servant is an enjoyable and poignant story based on the true story of Marion Crawford, 'Crawfie'. Who was governess to Queen Elizabeth and Princess Margaret in their younger years. Despite being in the historical fiction genre. Fern has interpreted and revitalised actual events based on Marion's own book, The Little Princesses. As dramatic events sweep through the country and change all their lives in an extraordinary way, Marion loyally devotes herself to the family. But when love enters her life, she is faced with an unthinkable choice… This was an easy, if far from scintillating read. If the definition of a good servant is loyal, hardworking, trustworthy and discreet then Marion Crawford for the majority of her career fulfilled the brief, only to fall at the last hurdle. I’ll leave it to you to decide whether or not it was her dogged pursuit of her own happy ever after that hastened her demise but I know which side of the fence I’m sitting on! The Good Servant is in fact Marion Crawford, the governess to the Princesses Elizabeth and Margaret in the 1930s onwards. Names familiar to us a Princess Elizabeth is now the longest serving monarch in British History having just celebrated her platinum jubilee. Come sapete sono una grande amante del genere, quindi potevo mai farmelo scappare Assolutamente no.Dunfermline, Scotland. Marion Crawford, a bright, ambitious young teacher, is ready to make her mark on the world. Until a twist of fate changes the course of her life forever. Yes, I know it isn't 100% accurate, but I was hooked from the beginning and I read the whole book in pretty much a day! Loved it! This is the story of a bright young woman with aspirations of helping children who becomes the governess of the future queen and princess Margaret and the love and sacrifices she experiences throughout her life. Marion Crawford had ambitions on becoming a child psychologist and helping those less fortunate than her and certainly her later charges to be educated as she saw as their right. However after a interim job before she starts university with Lord and Lady Elgin, she comes to the attention to the Duke and Duchess of York and suddenly finds herself in London, in Windsor Castle. A far cry where she thought she would end up. I do love some of the English expressions: “Toot sweet” for immediately. “Tinkety tonk, Old Fruit” for “goodbye, my friend”, although I’m not sure if any friend of mine would be too pleased with being called “old fruit” lol

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment