276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Are You Happy Now: 'One of the best novels of 2023' Sara Collins

£7.495£14.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Ok..so this was a totally different read for me...totally not what I expected but walked away with the sheer satisfaction that this book came into my life. Yes!" I squealed. "I was hoping this would happen! I mean I thought about it happening when I first met Logan and he basically adopted me as his daughter. I just thought that you two would make such a good couple. But then I realized that my sperm donator still stood in the way and then just pushed the thought away. But then he was out of the picture and I thought about the pair of you again, but then I also thought Logan was dead but -" Logan covered my rambling mouth so I'd shut up. I gave him a sheepish smile, well I tried with his hand still covering my mouth. I love the epilogue – “Don’t believe what you think.” We suffer because we believe what we think … and what we think is our own perception of what is. Let go of that perception, and we see the “what is’ for what it really is.

He wondered if she had somehow felt it, felt him slipping away. But it wasn’t likely. She was just standing by him and searching for a way to help, like any normal person would. Like any good person. Firstly, I just want to say that I do not read pandemic books, it's too early for me but this isn't like anything we experienced in recent years, apart from how humans behave. Most people will feel safe reading this in my opinion. I'm not going to spoil the events this book is built around, but suffice it to say, it's a clever concept.We follow four main characters. First Yun and Andrew, old friends, followed by journalist Emory and dancer Fin. If I’ve unlearned anything about ingesting stories over the past number of years, it’s that I don’t have to love a character to love their story. Which was a necessary perspective when it came to this novel, because our first protagonist is Yun, a jaded musician who is just almost likeable, but somehow never quite made it there for me. His relationship with Emory is interesting, in that it’s imperfect, and sometimes bland and often confusing, and reflects how sometimes we feel most lonely beside the person we’re supposed to be closest to. Jameson’s writing is so easily digestible. Some of her prose delivers a punch directly to the gut, a left hook swinging from out of nowhere. Este, para mi gusto, buen punto de partida se sume en el más absoluto aburrimiento durante la novela. Ni los cuatro protagonistas son interesantes ni su desarrollo atractivo. Sus idas y venidas no son más que un slice of life que, aunque por momentos parece despegar, termina siempre dejando una sensación agridulce. Para añadir más problemas, el ritmo de la historia es sumamente lento. Y, aunque sea un ligero spoiler, el final de la trama “pandémica” es totalmente decepcionante.

DISCLAIMER: This book was written over the course of a year, and it has clear distinctions as to where my thoughts changed on the story line. It is a first draft so please excuse plot holes as it may not be up to par with your expectations. But please read on, I still believe it is worth your time:)

He didn’t want to die, he just wanted to stop, to cease, sit down. Maybe just sleep, for a year or maybe forever.” Andrew waited at the bottom of the steps, wondering whether friendships burned out in the same way epidemics, hysterias and protestors do, then went up. I am done. Is it wrong that when he was on the plane, I was really hoping that the story was going to be that he finally got what he wanted all his life and then the plane crashed! Or that when he was trying to 'break in' to Amy's apartment, that someone would see him and call the police or shoot him?!

A regretful mate who is determined to win her over? A still bitchy sister? And how about the pathetic Alpha who has a secret of his own? REALLY? the fighting the bear story? Now I'm just baffled. and for him to think that ended his childhood? Maybe I don't see literary symbolism here, but that just makes no sense to me. Why does he rub his arm whenever he is stressed? And why would he rub Amy's arm? I see no corralation. The main problem with his life-as-a-movie theory was that it wasn’t easy to apply to other people who weren’t the protagonists of his reality. What happened to everyone else? This was a wild and intriguing sci-fi dystopian. The novel starts off with an ominous gripping line when a “boy meets girl at a wedding and the world ends”. The story follows the four main characters, the way their life changes as they witness the affect of the mysterious catatonia. Yun, an agnostic struggling musician; Emory, a self inflicting news reporter hoping to gain success; Andrew, an underpaid teacher who had never felt much; and Fin, a young ballet dancer fighting against the world. The lives of these characters become intertwined with each other as they watch the harsh reality of NYC. Relationships are created, tested and some are distorted as “love not properly expressed mutated into something jagged”. Some of the story at times almost feels too clean, as though some plot points are at times too convenient, and it’s certainly an imperfect novel.He wondered if a love not properly expressed mutated into something jagged and unwieldy like metal, something that could kill you.” Even more so than in her previous novel, The Last, Jameson bypasses the usual apocalyptic storylines, as she grounds her quietly dystopic concept firmly into reality. There is a minimalism to Jameson’s alternate/what if reality that brought to mind the subdued yet ominous world-building of authors such Kazuo Ishiguro, Emily St. John Mandel, Ling Ma, whose works are often characterized by a faintly ominous atmosphere. Oh my baby girl can finally find her mate!" My mom had tears of joy in her eyes. One could easily see that I was her favorite of the three of us. In second is the oldest, my brother Jacob, followed by my older sister Briella. Mom never really liked her after she found out about all the men she has slept with. My mom was a big believer in waiting for your mate, and so was I, and secretly Jake was also. Have people finally given up? Are they choosing to die? After a wedding in New York when a woman sits down in the middle of the dance floor and refuses to move, all over the country people start doing the same. Soon it’s a pandemic, with “catatonic events” happening worldwide.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment