276°
Posted 20 hours ago

MY BACK PAGES (MY BACK PAGES: An undeniably personal history of publishing 1972-2022)

£10£20.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Richardson was appointed by the University of Oxford to take charge of its sprawling, unprofitable, arrogant, and inward-looking publishing, printing, and papermaking operation at a time of hyperinflation, economic recession, and overbearing trade union power. He credits his involvement in higher education and senior executive positions to his demanding upbringing, one that taught him to never be idle for too long and to always aspire for more.

Richard Charkin: Ten Publishing Things That Will Never Be The Richard Charkin: Ten Publishing Things That Will Never Be The

Editor’s note: As we publish Richard Charkin’s June column today (June 7), the Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center in its 6:33 p. More from us on the coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic and its impact on international book publishing is here. Charkin's opinionated anecdotes and reflections provide intriguing colour and pace, and are sometimes very funny, but It is his technical overview of the market over these five decades of constant technical revolution that is so absorbing, so clear minded, so wide flung, so instructive. Of course there are stories about well-known personalities he has encountered - Madonna, Jeffrey Archer, Robert Maxwell, Paul Hamlyn, Mohammed Al-Fayed and many more. You have a great eye for the telling details that illuminate the progress (or otherwise) of publishing from the Seventies to now, and you have so many good stories… it is an impressive achievement.A book published by, say, HarperCollins in the States can be published, sold, marketed, and distributed by HarperCollins in English as well as any other publisher. Authors can meet resistance when they go off piste as Smith did with a personal tome about “the phenomenon of existence”.

My Back Pages (MY BACK PAGES: An undeniably personal history

In 1992, this was made a reality, thanks to the efforts of Charkin, alongside John Simpson, Ed Weiner, the Tim Benbow, Julia Swanell and more.This thought process is one of the key factors that fuelled his involvement with the evolution of the Oxford English Dictionary later in life. When Richardson was appointed CEO, I suspect the university thought that he would bring good academic economic thinking to business. And how did literary agents manage to increase their share of the cake by 50 percent without any apparent resistance?

MY BACK PAGES: An undeniably personal history of publishing

During the Covid lockdowns, the company did “all sorts of menschlich-type things” to help struggling tenants, says Charkin, who acts as a director. But, nonetheless, a huge number of extremely good books are being written by extremely good people, desperate to see the light of day. Just because an editor is a good judge of literary fiction doesn’t make that editor a good judge of history or cooking or politics. Contentious material about living persons that is unsourced or poorly sourced must be removed immediately from the article and its talk page, especially if potentially libelous.Thus my largest expenditure per title is on publicity and we’ve had some great coverage thanks to Ruth Killick’s imagination and diligence at her publicity firm. The only editorial rule I set was not to publish any fiction (which usually requires either a large and experienced publisher or an author self-publishing) but I broke that rule when I could not resist The Accidental Collector by Guy Kennaway, who has won the Bollinger Everyman Wodehouse Prize for Comic Fiction 2021. Exclusive territorial rights of any sort are a matter for contractual negotiation between author and publisher. Naturally there were many from his days at OUP who were there, and I was able to persuade Nigel Portwood, the current CEO, to take the photo above of nine survivors of those days. It’s the only dictionary in any language of anything with this comprehensiveness and authority,” he said.

Richard Charkin, Author at Publishing Perspectives Richard Charkin, Author at Publishing Perspectives

A view of Puycelsi in the south of France, a hilltop village, one of the Plus Beaux Villages de France association municipalities. In a sense, it seemed to me that many brilliant books are scuppered by their length, density, and lack of an engaging narrative. This industry, like most others, has responded to changes in readers tastes, to market conditions, to social changes, economic fluctuations, and particularly to the technological innovations that have taken place at a tremendous pace in these last 50 years.It fell to Charkin as President of the International Publishers Association to negotiate requests from China and Saudi Arabia to join. The meetings took place in various unprepossessing cafés and bars around Newington Green in North London, halfway between our homes—the beginning of an entirely 50-50 relationship. I’m very glad I haven’t invested heavily in big-city commercial property, and I’m pretty certain that most publishers will be looking to reduce their rent bills by taking less space and renegotiating leases.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment