276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Institution: Scare yourself silly this Halloween with the new gasp-inducing killer crime thriller from the million-copy bestselling author

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

So Dr Connie is a profiler… not with the FBI (anymore - just got her own company), the police decide to let her go in undercover (first time undercover… seems legit), with her buddy who works for her (ex cop). His cover is being a military special agent or something and he has committed unspeakable crimes. The cover story they come up with is that he is Patient B and no one can know anything about him until Dr Connie has determined if it’s the best place for him by interviewing all the patients and staff (not suss at all). A copy of this book was provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.** As always when I spot a title by Helen Fields, I know I just have to read it! But this was absolutely a truly terrifying read, From the horrific characters, to the isolated setting, and Connie struggling with her own inner demons. It made for the perfect storm for a spectacular thriller. Connie is described (at best) as ‘odd’. She’s undeniably brilliantly minded and very good at what she does but she has unusual methods to attain those results. Which is why she’s best working alone or alongside her good friend, Baards.

Terrifyingly brilliant and an absolute must-read for those who enjoy dark psychological thrillers.’ ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ The Author Resource Round Table on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/group_folder/116489?group_id=26989 The protagonist, Dr. Connie Woolwine was very believable and admirable, yet she wasn’t without her own personal demons.This is a book that will keep you on the edge of your seat. You will want to read as much as possible, and be sad when the book is over, even if you felt very satisfied. I will definitely read more books by Helen Fields in the future Absolutely AMAZING. Tense, engrossing and gripping with a truly unique main character.” - Angela Marsons Feel free to invite some friends to join our Round Table community!http://www.goodreads.com/group/invite_members/26989-goodreads-authors-readers In cases such as these, there is usually some type of motive and the suspect would presumably be an individual that was close to her or involved in Elaine’s life in some way. When she was living, Elaine Buxton had a respectable career as a lawyer and her peers thought highly of her. Could it be some type of disgruntled client or someone involved with a case that had a grudge? It's also very different from The Last Girl to Die, the last book I read by Helen Fields. (You can find my review here). Where Last Girl to Die drew on myths and folklore, The Institution is very scientific. This gives it more of an analytical coldness where Last Girl to Die was all about emotions. Also, location played a huge part in Last Girl to Die, to the extent that it was hard to imagine it being set anywhere other than Mull. In contrast, by the end of the book I had no idea where in the world the Institution was. It's a building completely removed from the world around it.

The year is 1905. London is a playground for the rich and a death trap for the poor. When Sofia Logan’s husband dies unexpectedly, leaving her penniless with two young children, she knows she will do anything to keep them from the workhouse. But can she bring herself to murder? Even if she has done it before… The author was doing so much, literally threw everything she could think of at this… we have, to name a few:

Though this is the second novel to feature Dr. Connie Woolwine and investigator Baarda, it reads excellently as a stand-alone. That being said, I would at some point like to read “The Shadow Man”, the first novel in which they appear. As if things weren't disturbing and nerve-shattering enough, a vicious storm comes and makes all who reside at the Institution at the mercy of nature, and even m I received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own." When a terrible storm blows in and the power goes out, Dr. Woolwine is alone with four criminally insane serial killers and her life is in terrible danger!

Dark and atmospheric with some brilliantly horrific characters and some excellent twists. Compelling and unputdownable.' - Catherine Cooper I will absolutely be standing in line for the next book by this author. Hoping it will involve my favorite profiler, Connie! My only issue, and I am not sure I can even call it a real issue, is that this book had no location. Meaning, Helen Fields purposefully doesn’t tell us where it takes place. Usually you hear her mention Edinburgh or France or something of that nature, but this one did not and I even reached out to her and she said she purposefully left it off. It does not affect the story AT ALL and it is fantastic in itself, but for me, I love to have a visual in my head of where this is. I still feel this would be off the coast of Scotland or Ireland just by the weather and terrain, but honestly it could be anywhere. I just really felt strongly about wanting to know where it was. Helen’s novels just get better and better and she is not afraid to go where others fear to tread, yes at times you do wonder if things are believable but in the context of this story they certainly were. Meanwhile one of the actual baddies, (unbeknownst to her) she has befriended and thinks is amazing, good one Dr Zoidberg, your gut must of been off that day.

About Fictionophile

A claustrophobic, haunting crime thriller that will keep you up at night, perfect for those who couldn’t put down The Sanatorium and Amy McCulloch’s Breathless. A very dark and exciting read! Note this is definitely different from the tone of the Hunting Party! Emmet Vinsant, wealthy industrialist, offers Sofia a job in one of his gaming houses. He knows more about Sofia’s past than he has revealed. Brought up as part of a travelling fair, she’s an expert at counting cards and spotting cheats, and Vinsant puts her talents to good use. His demands on her grow until she finds herself with blood on her hands.

As Connie interviews each patient you’re given a rare glimpse into their depraved minds. Frightening! Special thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for a free, electronic ARC of this novel received in exchange for an honest review.A book of manipulative, psychotic minds, of brutal and graphic descriptions of crime, and of the altruistic and brave people who are willing to risk their own personal safety to solve a barbaric crime and save the life of an innocent. I have sworn of traditional detective novels where investigations are involved. The book started with an autopsy, but unlike before, this autopsy didnt make me cringe or want to skip it. Connie had an unusual way of being with the dead body, in a way that made the descriptions of what she saw interesting rather than clinical. Dark, atmospheric, creepy and hauntingly good, and kept me guessing until the end. I loved it.’ ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Forensic profiler Dr Connie Woolwine is renowned for her ability to get inside the mind of a murderer. Now, she must go deep undercover among the most deranged and dangerous men on earth and use her unique skills to find the girl - before it's too late. Well, what a roller coaster of a ride this was! Twists and turns and the pace! As always Fields builds the suspense until you can’t breathe and then adds more. The plot is excellent and the storytelling superb. A master of her craft , this author has the skills and imagination that take your breath away. Never afraid to write the unthinkable (ok, I’m still not over the ending of Last Girl To Die!), and yes, at times the reader has to suspend belief, but that is no bad thing and makes the read all that more exciting.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment