276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Somebody I Used to Know: A Richard and Judy Book Club Pick

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

These first few chapters had me hooked .. I loved this sample and now I am even more excited for the book. I need to know more about Leah, Theo and George! Paige Toon's writing is just amazing, I know without a doubt I am going to love this book and this preview has only confirmed what I already knew. Derek was also an interesting character for me and sometimes, in the very beginning, I hated how he treated Ashley, but at the same time, I can also see how much he craved his independence and wanted to do things with friends that didn’t include his sister. I also had to remind myself that he was still very much just a teenager and acted like a teenager. But, I can see how traumatized he was after his sister’s rape. That moment where he finally gets it and understands that what happened to Ashley wasn’t her fault. You can feel the guilt he feels for his treatment of her. He really has the most growth in this story and I was proud of him for finally owning up to what he did and the ways he went about fixing it.

book about dementia: ‘Somebody I used to know’ Wendy Mitchell’s book about dementia: ‘Somebody I used to know’

When Derek started showing signs that he wants to change, like he really was sorry for what happened to his sister, that he is willing to do anything, as in disappear from Ashley’s life, to help his sister, I felt somewhat proud of him. He was so ready to be out of Ashley’s life just for her to recover. I hope your Daughters will be supportive & find out about what Care can be arranged from NHS Continuing Healthcare, & how to qualify for this benefit which is not means tested . You may become eligible later when a little older. I remember feeling nervous. I remember the small room filled with all eyes on me. I remember feeling hot and uncomfortable. But I started off with the Bingo session to relax everyone and laughter and the need to win overtook any concerns they had when they walked in. Rice, Nicholas (October 7, 2021). "Community Reunion! Alison Brie Poses with Danny Pudi on Set of New Film: 'Feels Like Home' ". People. Archived from the original on October 7, 2021 . Retrieved October 7, 2021.Remarkable ... Mitchell gives such clear-eyed insight that anyone who knows a person living with dementia should read this book -- Siobhan Murphy * The Times * This is powerful read. I wish this kind of books they studied at school. We need this books to change our rape culture.

Someone I Used to Know by Patty Blount | Goodreads Someone I Used to Know by Patty Blount | Goodreads

I loved this one - my first five out of five star read for 2022! The overall genre would be a contemporary romance; however the novel delves into many concepts, particularly around foster families and healing hearts. Featuring dual timelines, the storyline is from Leah's perspective. Leah's parents open their hearts and home to foster children; I appreciated that the book explored how this affected Leah in both positive and negative ways across her life. When Leah is 15 she has two young men come into her life, both of whom she feels deeply connected to and both will shape her life... In a way, I understood why Derek wants to have some of his own “Me” time and own stuff to do that is not shared with Ashley. However, what I don’t understand is the way he handled getting it. Ashley was attached to Derek; they were close when they were little. And so when Derek started pulling away from Ashley, of course Ashley would cling even tighter because she thought that she’s not wanted anymore. Derek just got his approach wrong. A beautiful story about love and family and healing broken hearts. It swept me up and wouldn’t let me go – I loved it’ BETH O’LEARY She has a form in front of her where she needs to write her recommendations, and I sit watching, helpless as she begins to fill in one particular section: 'Incapable of meeting the demands of her NHS employment'. My fate has been decided. Money matters An absolutely compelling account of life with dementia ... A testimony to human spirit and ingenuity -- Jan R Oyebode, Professor of Dementia Care, University of Bradford

Ashley hated her brother, Derek. She said he was one of the reasons she was raped. But Ashley blamed him for other reasons. I understand Ashley’s side. Not being a rape victim side but the side where it’s hard to recover from a traumatic experience. I know that feeling so well; that feeling where when you experience a very traumatic experience, it’s very hard to recover and move on from that. She’s healing. And she needs all support she can get even though she kind of feels like she’s alone. She feels like there’s no one who truly understands her. And that alone is a struggle. Dealing with your own emotion, your own self, is already a struggle. Add to that the uncontrollable emotions, like anxiety and fear, is another level of struggle.

Somebody I Used to Know: A Richard and Judy Book Club Pick Somebody I Used to Know: A Richard and Judy Book Club Pick

She arms herself with practical ingenuities: dementia bingo; iPads pinging to remind her to take pills, to eat. A bright pink bike, not because she especially likes pink, but because it would be harder to forget. Novels become impossible to read, so she reaches for short stories and poems. Each time she congratulates herself for staying a step ahead, but at her worst moments she wonders: “Wasn’t I going to see the world? What happened to all the time I thought I had?” And who is “I”, anyway? Pre-dementia Wendy? Today Wendy, who is different from tomorrow Wendy? For the reader, there is also the ventriloquised, ghostwritten “I”, complicating matters further. Kayla finds information about Cassidy's parents, and Ally asks her to send them an anonymous invitation to the wedding. When Ally and Cassidy spend more time with each other, Ally realizes her impression of her was mistaken. They bond over common interests, even ending up streaking together on a golf course after smoking cannabis. Sean is distracted by their growing closeness. There has to be something more that I can do. My eyes fall on another leaflet I’ve collected on my travels, What To Do When A Potential Brain Donor Dies. I shift in my chair; that’s not what I mean. I want to do something now; I don’t want to just sit here and wait for this disease to make its march on my mind. If you read nothing else, every man, woman and young adult MUST read SOMEONE I USED TO KNOW by Patty Blount. Although fictional, it is a scathing and raw indictment of a world where sex sells, “dirty jokes” are told and beauty is a perceived license for demeaning and condescending behavior.I'll be honest when I say this, I don't think any review I give Someone I Used To Know would be able to do it justice.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment