276°
Posted 20 hours ago

THIS NAKED MIND: The myth-busting cult hit for anyone who wants to cut down their alcohol consumption.

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I've always thought the alcohol and other drug abuse (AODA) field was messed up. That's why I changed my professional goals halfway through my Master's program at age 23. As a first step we must put down the weapons of shame and blame. Let ourselves off the hook and then understand our power.

These marketers know that the most effective sale is an emotional sale, one that plays on your deepest fears, your ultimate concerns. Alcohol advertisements sell an end to loneliness, claiming that drinking provides friendship and romance. They appeal to your need for freedom by saying drinking will make you unique, brave, bold, or courageous. They promise fulfillment, satisfaction, and happiness. All these messages speak to your conscious and unconscious minds." You have enjoyed tons of occasions, but can you separate the drinking from the activity and realize you had fun because of the company of the event, rather than the 'joy' of poisoning yourself and numbing your senses?" Her theory is that our conscious (surface level) attention may know these facts but it is our subconscious mind that makes the decisions. And it is the part of us that has been programmed to do so with alcohol consumption. Have fun, loosen up, relieve stress, be more socially acceptable, advance your career- she looks at all these myths of the benefits of drinking and disassembles them. I just don’t know if reading a book can change us on the basic level she is seeking. But it has helped many people.Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.” – Rumi” If you drink to relieve stress, you are curing the symptoms, not the stress itself. Things go to worse when you add alcohol dependence to the mix This Naked Mind Institute is an incredible certification process. If you want to pay it forward, help others, and create a career you love, this is for you. Sign up to learn more and get on the waiting list for our next class of This Naked Mind Institute. Alcohol is the only drug you have to justify NOT using to everyone". Paraphrase from the book, but it hit home. When you see scotch, do you picture a guy in a suit or in his chair in his den? When you picture Bud Light, do you picture football games, tailgating, or camping? When you picture red wine, do you picture it at a romantic white cloth dinner or some other type of relaxing atmosphere? If you want to be sophisticated and are wearing a suit, you can't go get a case of Bud Light--that projects the wrong image! One of the book’s main points is that people have trouble stopping or even recognizing their drinking has become a problem because we live in a culture in which the majority of the population drinks, and where drinking is celebrated. This affects us on an unconscious level so that even when a conscious decision to quit drinking is made, there’s cognitive dissonance which sabotages efforts to change.

I recently listened to the audiobook on Annie Grace’s ‘This Naked Mind: Control Alcohol: find freedom, discover happiness and change your life.’ For reasons I almost don’t need to explain, on starting the book I did not add it to my currently reading list on Goodreads. This is despite the fact that I ALWAYS add whatever book I’m reading to Goodreads, even if it’s embarrassing. I’ve added self help books aplenty this year, and although I’ve felt a little awkward admitting to reading them, I always added the damn book. Because ultimately I’m not ashamed to be striving for personal growth, even if it means adding books on depression and anxiety. (That adding books on anxiety to my reading list causes me anxiety is an irony that is not lost on me.) But this was different. In adding this book, I was admitting that I didn’t have full control over my relationship with alcohol, and that’s something massive, or that’s what society has always told me anyway. Alcohol dependency has such a stigma attached to it that we don’t want to let on even to ourselves that we think we might have a problem in controlling it. If I publicly admitted to reading this book, then it felt like I was publicly admitting to having a problem. of 5 stars 2 of 5 stars 3 of 5 stars 4 of 5 stars 5 of 5 stars This Naked Mind: Control Alcohol, Find Freedom, Discover Happiness & Change Your Life by Annie Grace This is emotionally manipulative drivel from a marketing executive peddling some truths couched in a whole bunch of lies. She is not a recovery expert, a neuroscientist or a psychotherapist and she manipulates data to get her point across. As a self-professed former wine enthusiast and author of books delving into the intricate relationship between alcohol and our minds, I've often pondered [...] Ps. I was going to write a longer, more critical review, then I read this review which pretty much sums up my thoughtsFirst you take a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes you.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald” Imagine the life you will lead when alcohol is not taking up space in your mind, heart, or thoughts. And it is certainly not negatively affecting your life or health. So far as I could see, this book is for normal people who want to stop drinking. This is not for actual alcoholics who still have problems living life on life's terms once you remove the alcohol. It does not provide tips on how to cope with stress or serious personal issues. She doesn't even suggest therapy. If you are thinking of quitting alcohol, this book will provide you with greater conviction to help you stay on the right path. I never considered myself an alcoholic because I never got a DUI and didn't get really drunk. Plus, the word makes you sound like a drug addict who can't control himself. But I drank a bottle of wine (sometimes more) every night for a few years. It cost a lot of money and I put on a lot of weight. I tried quitting a few times, but it was hard because I still liked it! Inspired! Not pushy! Presents facts and opinions and let's you decide. Helps you think about alcohol in a new way and then discusses possible concerns you may have. I loved it !!! Great insight.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment