276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Get Shorty

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

So we follow Chili around while he’s managing a new singing group, pitching a new movie, evading the Russians and Raji, fending off the vultures roosting on Edie’s recording company, getting a contract for the Linda Moon band, enjoying life with Elaine, and outsmarting everyone. This is a very busy man, but not up to the Chili Palmer of Get Shorty. Petski, Denise (May 16, 2017). " 'Get Shorty' Gets Premiere Date On Epix; Unveils First-Look Photos". Archived from the original on November 16, 2018 . Retrieved May 16, 2017. McClurg, Jocelyn and Carol Memmott (August 20, 2013). "Author Elmore Leonard dies at 87". USA Today. Archived from the original on November 15, 2020 . Retrieved May 21, 2019. What was especially fun about this book was how meta it was about the movie industry. Elmore Leonard wrote the book based on his experiences with Hollywood, and there are some good jokes made about actors and producers.

Mitgang, Herbert (October 23, 1993). "Novelist discovered after 23 books". The New York Times. Archived from the original on November 25, 2018 . Retrieved December 2, 2018. I'm not connected to those people anymore. Not since I walked out of a loan-shark operation in Miami." Jesse Thorn (July 3, 2007). "Podcast: TSOYA: Elmore Leonard". Maximum Fun (Podcast). Archived from the original on January 6, 2018 . Retrieved August 21, 2013. King, Stephen (February 10, 1985). "What went down when Magyk went up". The New York Times. Archived from the original on December 7, 2018 . Retrieved December 2, 2018.Chili ‘look at me’ Palmer, the ex-wise guy (okay so he was ‘loosely connected’) ex-loan shark from Brooklyn by way of Miami Beach, is in Los Angeles now where he has re-invented himself as a movie producer whose in dire need of material for a new film project. And he gets one; at a lunch meeting with a shady record producer which opens the book with a bang. Leonard, Elmore (January 23, 1998). "Martin Amis interviews Elmore Leonard" (PDF) (Interview). Interviewed by Amis, Martin. Archived (PDF) from the original on April 9, 2013 . Retrieved August 21, 2013. Where Elmore Leonard surpasses Get Shorty was his across the board portrayal of female characters. Each of them has moxie and much more going for them than what they can do for Chili Palmer. In addition to Linda Moon, who struts into the story in control, each of the female characters, from Edie Athens to Tiffany to Linda's former bandmate Vita, are given a real voice and something to do in the story, which I often did not find with Karen Flores in Get Shorty. Chili's relationship with Elaine Levin, which segues from professional to intimate, is handled with a great deal of sweetness. The pair have chemistry, and the way that Leonard describes Elaine seems based on a woman he met and was in love with. It's a bit unfair to Leonard that I've reviewed his narrator and not his book. This is the sequel to Get Shorty and is only interesting because Chili Palmer is the star. "Look at me..." I love when Chili says that! I try not to, but I see Chili as Travolta in my mind. The young, thin, beautiful Travolta, like he was in The Boy in the Plastic Bubble, but with a great haircut and clothes. I may drool for a sec here.

The surface level of this is funny enough with its core idea of a gangster trying to get into the movie business, but where it achieves greatness is the twist it takes once Chili meets Michael. When his pitch for Harry’s movie isn’t getting through, Chili starts talking about his recent adventures, and Michael is intrigued. Without realizing it, Chili essentially begins pitching his story as it’s happening to Michael, and the short actor pounces on the idea of playing a loan shark. The problem is that Chili doesn’t know how it’s going to end yet. Why 'Get Shorty' Is One of the Best Crime Comedies Ever". Collider. October 21, 2020 . Retrieved February 5, 2021.Forget about solving all these crimes; the signal triumph here is (spoiler) the heroine’s survival.

Get Shorty is one of Elmore Leonard's most entertaining novels with a cast populated by a group of great characters. Heading the group is a Miami loan shark named Chili Palmer who winds up in Hollywood while chasing down a guy who owes him money and who has done a great disappearing act. Rzepka, Charles (2013). Being Cool: The Work of Elmore Leonard . Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press. p.21. ISBN 9781421410159. Then again, maybe not. Leonard was notoriously unpretentious about his chosen profession. As Harry tells Chili while they drive along Sunset Boulevard looking at the homes of far more famous people, there’s only one type of writing guaranteed to make you a lot of money: ransom notes. Chili is a wise guy loan shark. He doesn't use a gun. His style of intimidation is quiet, making the victim imagine bad things will happen if he doesn't pay. Before he makes a loan, Chili tries to talk the borrower out of it saying you really don't want to borrow from me. But they are desperate and do it.Sorry, I was interrupted while working on this and some people saw this review only half-written. I wish Goodreads would add a "save as draft" option.) As I was saying, Leonard's writing is a joy to read. He's funny, clever, has great insight into his characters, and his stories move so briskly that there isn't a wasted paragraph in the book. All right, so I'm interested in Weir a bit more than I thought I was. This scene is wrought with terrific tension because Leonard has laid out how much Chili loves movies, how much he wants to get out of the loan-shark business and how much his life would change if this movie star finds Chili's hustle compelling.

This article consists almost entirely of a plot summary. Please help improve the article by adding more real-world context. ( May 2010) ( Learn how and when to remove this template message) Lane, Anthony (August 21, 2013). "The Dutch Accent: Elmore Leonard's Talk". The New Yorker. Archived from the original on July 12, 2019 . Retrieved December 5, 2018. The 1995 film version of Get Shorty hovers over the source material like an atmospheric disturbance in the Gulf and while far from reinventing the book -- most of the characters, much of the story, a lot of the dialogue and all of the spirit are the same -- screenwriter Scott Frank, producers Michael Shamberg, Stacy Sher & Danny DeVito and director Barry Sonnenfeld definitely improved on it. Fans of the movie might be disappointed, as I was. What you don't understand," Catlett said, "is what the movie is saying. You live clean, the shit gets taken care of somehow or other. That's what the movie's about." Artist: John Lurie". Grammy Award. Archived from the original on November 15, 2020 . Retrieved June 14, 2017.The 2010–15 FX series Justified was based around the popular Leonard character U.S. Marshal Raylan Givens, from the novels Pronto, Riding the Rap, the eponymous Raylan, and the short story "Fire in the Hole". Chili does not really enjoy having to show respect to those fully connected because he often saw them be and talk idiotic, but he is content with his permanent lower status with the mafia. He and his ex-wife Debbie liked the benefits that came with the respect locals and business people had for him when they were aware of who Chili worked for - at least until Debbie got pregnant. She gave him an ultimatum - get out of the business - so he lied and said he had when they moved to Florida from Brooklyn. As far as she knew, he sold restaurant supplies in their new home.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment