276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Warriors of the Storm: Book 9 (The Last Kingdom Series)

£10£20.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Volvemos a los mejores momentos de esta gran serie. Libro lleno de acción desde casi la primera página, con menos batallas decisivas, pero bien contadas y sin momentos de confusión de entregas anteriores. Special thanks to my Patrons on Patreon for giving me extra support towards my passion for reading and reviewing! Warriors of the Storm is the 9th entry in The Saxon Stories series that follows Uhtred of Bebbanburg and it is my favourite of the books so far. It has a brilliant opening and the standard doesn't drop for the length of the whole book. Norwegian novelist Jacobsen folds a quietly powerful coming-of-age story into a rendition of daily life on one of Norway’s rural islands a hundred years ago in a novel that was shortlisted for the 2017 Man Booker International Prize. They head toward Eoforwic, sneaking in by pretending to bring Stiorra (whom Ragnall wants for his fifth wife) in as a prisoner. They find Brida in charge. She is waging war against Christianity, and they are horrified to see 34 people crucified. Uhtred overthrows her and lets Stiorra kill Brida. They also free hostages Ragnall has taken to ensure allied jarls remain loyal to him.

Hey, I'd bethought that clever maxim all by myself, he he. Utred is on the roll again and as before he wishes to uphold the Christian realm of Alfred whilst praising Odin and Thor, bemoaning the evils of the Nailed God. Maybe all these testosterone fueled animosities towards Cornwells strict Episcopal upbringing seems a bit silly at times, but it is truly an enjoyable read. Northmen led by Ragnall Ivarson invade Mercia near Uhtred's fortress of Ceaster. Ragnall, whose brother Sigtryggr is married to Uhtred's daughter Stiorra, has been driven out of Irland by the natives to seek less fiercely defended lands. Ragnall's supporters include Jarl Hæsten, Uhtred's longtime foe, as well as a single crew of Irishmen led by Conall, the brother of Finan, Uhtred's second-in-command.Nuestro Uhtred, ya entrado en años, sigue siendo el paladín de los sajones, de Mercia en este caso, y vuelve a enfrentar el nuevo peligro. Sin embargo, hay nuevos factores, que van a dificultar sus acciones: intrigas políticas y religiosas, sus relaciones con las distintas facciones danesas, sus hijos, que también entran a formar parte del tablero bélico y de alianzas.... But the TV version is, despite offending my purist heart, pretty good so why would anyone bother with the tediously boring and time consuming task of reading all of the way through a whole series of books when instant gratification is available at the touch of a remote control? Well, if you're reading this review then it's likely that you are already a reader so you already know the answer to that facile question as well as I do. And never was that point made more graphically than in the Warrior Chronicle series; a whole world of rich texture, action, emotion, religion, human values and all wrapped up in historical portrayal accurate enough to be text book. That immersive experience is not available on TV. Cornwell is the master of battle description. There is gore galore, of course. But Cornwell can develop a plot that brings victory to the underdog in many a surprising way. Take away the sex and gore, and you would still have great entertainment just seeing how Uhtred, or any other of Cornwell’s heroes for that matter, produces success. Count the times this happens in Warriors of the Storm.

Cornwell's latest is often bloody, sometimes ribald, but always smartly done. Fans might be disappointed with this effort’s brevity, though, and new readers will be better served by beginning at the start of the series (The Last Kingdom, 2005). Eu o faria gritar e assistiria enquanto sangrava, cortaria sua carne fresca em pedaços antes de me preocupar com Æthelflaed. Isso era pela família. Isso era por vingança." A fragile peace is about to be broken.... King Alfred's son, Edward, and formidable daughter, Æthelflaed, rule Wessex, Mercia and East Anglia. But all around the restless Northmen, eyeing the rich lands and wealthy churches, are mounting raids. Some suggest that Lord Uhtred is getting too old to continue the protagonist role in these novels—too long in the tooth, some reviewers have said. My own feeling is that he is too cantankerous and smart to get too old. Cornwell imbues him with plenty of wit and wits, lots of courage, and enough irascible stubbornness to keep him interesting. It also had a tense but hilarious last battle, with Uhtred’s cunning on full display in front of his enemies. He may not be as sword-quit as he once was, but his Loki-cunning is as sharp as ever.Being a pagan, Uhtred constantly points out the silliness of many of the Christian beliefs. Christian priests act sanctimoniously. They all believe in the one true god. While Uhtred is well versed in Christianity, he cannot understand why they believe in a single god, when they pray to three gods. Uhtred constantly points out the many contradictions to the priests, who rationalize their beliefs with meaningless pieties. Uhtred does not understand why Christians are so willing to torture non-believers; p King Alfred’s son Edward and formidable daughter, Æthelflaed, rule Wessex, Mercia and East Anglia. But all around the restless Northmen, eyeing the rich lands and wealthy churches, are mounting raids.

The Trident Alliance, for the most part, leave the humans alone. The Ataxia Coalition cannot be trusted. Admittedly, the humans aren’t to be entirely trusted either. Even in these distant lands, over a thousand years since Darwin, only the fittest will survive. Cornwell himself, in the explanation of the historicity of the novel, says that he did not have much in the way of historical basis for much of this work. How plausible are the plot events? So the Christian Saxons in Wessex and what would eventually become southern England thoroughly distrust Uhtred. They suspect Uhtred of being disloyal, as he is neither a Saxon nor a Dane. This is the basic conflict in throughout the entire series; the divided loyalties between Saxons and Danes.

Publication Order of Intergalactic Fated Mates Books

The book opens as a norse lord (Ragnall Ivarson) who has long been an enemy of Uhtred’s begins an attempt to conquer parts of England. Driven out of his previous territory, this lord and his army sail into the Mersey, which is held by Uhtred, and begin to move inland making a play for invasion and control, holding an ancient hill fort and bridging the river into Northumbria, where a vast supply of potential manpower awaits. Cue a desperate campaign to counter the growing strength of Ivarson, who is related to the English hero through his brother’s marriage to Uhtred’s daughter, so yes, politics is inevitably going to play as much a part here as battle. Cornwell was sent away to Monkton Combe School, attended the University of London, and after graduating, worked as a teacher. He attempted to enlist in the British armed services at least three times but was rejected on the grounds of myopia. Earl Haesten– A Danish Jarl (earl), who previously broke a life-oath to Uhtred who is now a dangerous enemy, seemingly based on a Viking leader of the same name recorded in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment