276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Carve the Mark: 1

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The story is set on a distant planet where people develop unique powers known as currentgifts, bestowed by a magical current that runs through the galaxy. Most people find their gifts useful, but to some people - like Akos and Cyra - the gifts can be a burden, and a means by which others can use them for their own gains. Cyra's violent and evil brother is the ruler of the Shotet and he uses Cyra's power - the power to deliver intense pain - to further his plans and torture his enemies. i can't even make it through that synopsis without 1) getting bored and 2) activating my "fantasy genre silly-name" shield, but as one of the few people who did like the way Allegiant ended (or at least didn't have a problem with the thing most people hated it for), i gotta say i'm looking forward to this. bring it on, silly names and all! After their capture and recruitment, Elijeh is tortured into forcing his currentgift to manifest. Upon it manifesting, Ryzek uses his currentgift to switch memories with Elijeh, hoping to gain Elijeh's ability to see into the future in the process; he theorizes that one's currentgift is part of who they are, and that by taking on aspects of Elijeh, he can gain Elijeh's currentgift. Elijeh begins to show similar traits to Ryzek and is always by his side as his ever-present adviser. Akos refuses to lose hope, however, and is determined to keep his promise to his father to bring Elijeh home.

Ryzek’s fate is that he will fall to a long-hidden and despised family, the family Benesit. Cyra’s fate is that she will one day cross the divide. While the rest of the group flees, Akos fights and kills Vas. Eijeh walks out onto the balcony. His actions reveal he has almost completely switched personalities with Ryzek now. Ori walks out to stand beside Eijeh. Ryzek claims it’s Isae. Ryzek says if Cyra doesn’t give him an antidote, Eijeh will kill Ori. Cyra thinks about telling the truth that would stop this all but doesn’t do so. Ryzek falls on Cyra’s knife, so Eijeh stabs and kills Ori. The Story: This book takes up right where Carve the Mark finishes and goes in some different directions than expected. The first book was mainly the story of Cyra and Akos, this one adds a lot of characters and gets much more political than the first.First off I need to start by saying that I like(d) the first book a lot. I rated it 4 stars. I placed it in the “ilovethissomuch” list that I use to recommend to my real-life friends. I freaked out mentally whenever I saw someone holding a Veronica Roth book in their hands, Carve The Mark or not. I know a good number of people who don’t like this series at all, but I do (did), so much. Memmott, Carol (2017-01-16). "Review: Veronica Roth's 'Carve the Mark' dazzles the mind but not quite the heart". Chicago Tribune. Chicago Tribune . Retrieved 2017-01-23. Roth skillfully weaves the careful world-building and intricate web of characters that distinguished Divergent.” —VOYA (starred review) The only thing in the book that I actually liked (or didn’t hate) was the writing. It’s not the most amazing writing ever, but it’s pretty good and easy to read. I did prefer it in Divergent, but eh, it doesn’t really matter 🤷‍♀️

It's a relief to finally have a Young Adult book that's more Adult than Young. This book does not shy away from death or violence, and can be rather brutal at times. The science fiction of it is also a welcome and refreshing break from the countless dystopian novels. The Fates Divide is a richly imagined tale of hope and resilience told in four stunning perspectives. Across the divide, Cyra Noavek, daughter to the Shotet ruler, recalls the days when her mother was alive and her life was semi-normal. Everything changed when her gift appeared early in life as a result of her brother Ryzek trading memories with her. (Ryzek was being trained by their cruel father, and his memories are more like nightmares.) For him to trade memories, he has to touch her face, but Cyra’s gift delivers pain to him when he attempts to touch her. Unfortunately, it also means that Cyra must endure constant pain.In a nutshell, the story is gripping, with interesting set of characters, that drive the story with their powerful voices. And that climax is really something, totally worth the wait for this book. Roth offers a richly imagined, often brutal world of political intrigue and adventure, with a slow-burning romance at its core.” —ALA Booklist So you can imagine how much it hurts for me to say that The Fates Divide was an extremely, unbelievably, ohgoddingly, painful read. It just....I don’t know what happened to me. Is it even me? My tastes might have changed after reading all kinds of books after Carve The Mark. I know for one The Raven Cycle series had recently changed me forever, that’s probably it, right?? HarperCollins Publishers Announces Two-Book Deal with Veronica Roth". HarperCollins. March 2, 2015 . Retrieved September 18, 2016. I was hesitant about the Lazmet death retcon, but it was done really well and added a lot to the story. The plot twists were all super effective and the hard-hitting moments were pretty intense.

Here the Current is the energy/life force believed to flow through everyone. It bestows gifts on everyone some good, some bad and some useless. these gifts seem to be extensions of the person personalities. it is unknown if the person personality brings their "gift" or if they are this way because they are going to receive a certain "gift". The Current also seems to be harnessed in machines and is the basis for most of their technology. There are also the Oracles people who have been gifted to see the future, but they seem to be a law on to themselves. The Shotet and Thuvhesit live on the same planet, Urek/Thuvhe, and have a long history of violence, blaming certain historical events on each other. The two peoples are separated by a large expanse of feathergrass, a tall grass that causes hallucinations. The Shotet call their planet Urek whereas the Thuvhesit call it Thuvhe, but the planet is universally recognized only as Thuvhe and the Thuvhesit are the only recognized people/nation of the planet, even though the Shotet have been vying for that privilege for many generations. The narrative has been set on a distant planet where the residents develop unique powers, known as the popular gifts. The various gifts are bestowed among the people by a magical current, which runs throughout the galaxy. Many of the residents find their gift to be quite useful, but the rest such as Cyra and Akos, find their gifts to be heavy burdens. According to Cyra and Akos, other people for their gains can use their gifts. Cyra’s evil and violent brother is the ruler of the Shotet. He uses Cyra’s power to cause intense pain, torture his enemies and to further his plans as well. Carve the Mark begins with the Shotet soldiers killing Akos’s brother in cold blood. After killing his father, they capture Akos and his younger brother and place them in captivity. While in captivity, Akos hone his skills and eventually becomes a skilled fighter. Furthermore, from time to time, he also chats with Cyra, who briefs him about her people, their favorite colors and their powers as well.Let's be honest, I actually liked Divergent for what it was - a fast-paced, exciting YA adventure that demanded very little of me. Sure, a lot of the world made absolutely no sense, and I still find that whole "I'm Dauntless so I jump off moving trains" thing so ridiculously laughable, but I found it really entertaining. In this book, though, I spent the majority of it wondering where the actual plot was. Would I recommend this series? I might’ve said yes after Carve the Mark, but this has caused me to change that to a big fat NO. If you’re looking to read some Veronica Roth, I would much rather recommend Divergent instead. This is NOT worth it!! ☹☹😬😬 the romance is what it is - it's certainly handled better than the romance in other books i have read (including divergent, now that i think about it). it unfolds slowly, it isn't too sappy, and it is grounded in circumstances that seem likely to inspire feelings of "you and me against the world;" where two characters who are treated as "other" by most people cleave to each other in their otherness and feelings develop in a way that makes sense. I liked it, but book one was better, that was the introduction to this beautiful world, more thrills, less politics. Full review of book 1 is here In the second book of the Carve the Mark duology, globally bestselling Divergent author Veronica Roth reveals how Cyra and Akos fulfil their fates.

Cyra wants more of Akos and happiness instead of more pain and torture. She’s not angry with Akos anymore. His acceptance of her is the same part of him that fosters his need to take care of Eijeh. Cyra decides to help Akos get Eijeh out. At the end of Carve the Mark, our main duo found themselves struggling to find out where they fit after the massive events that took place. And also struggling with their feelings for one another and what that means for their fates. Now as Cyra begins to take her place as leader of the Shotet people, she must face the fact that her father may be alive and ready to start war. Meanwhile, Akos and Cyra are confronted with their actual fates and have to decide what they will become. The romance in this book was not as subtle as in the previous, but it was still not the main focus, and I find myself being drawn to romance-less books more and more, so it served me well. The family relationships and friendships were also pure in their own way, blooming in a time of harshness and destruction. Ιt all made me tear up, and I realised how much I love well-built dynamics.

The book is very slow then as soon as something exciting happens it is the end of the chapter and the moment is lost. Worse still in some cases of the cross over of the chapters it could be a couple of minutes later, a couple of hours, a day or in one case 2 years. There are a few short but brutal fight scattered around the book. Unfortunately for me there was not particularly well written. I know she thanks a friend who helped her choreograph the fight now in my mind I don't see how someone can strike with a knife with one hand then simultaneously (still in a standing position), remove a hidden blade from their boot and stab the person with it? The narration of the book is split between the two main characters. Cyra Noavek and Akos Kereseth. Like in the Divergent I think Veronica Roth is better a writing the female characters like Cyra. There are also mistakes in Akos narration (yes my grammar is not great so if I noticed it obvious), it is supposed to be first person like Cyra's but as he moves around it keeps he moved here or there he did that like someone is watching him. there are the superficial physical differences - cyra has darker skin, is much taller and … sturdier than tris, and by the end of the book, something happens that alters her appearance in a way that i personally think is SO FREAKING COOL, and also ghastly. but more importantly, her personality is not just warming up the tris leftovers. they are both proactive and badass with the fighting skills without getting too sentimental when violence needs doing, but cyra has had a much harder path dealt to her than tris, and it has toughened her worldview, giving her more depth and darkness than tris ever had. When Akos and Cyra are caught in the middle of a raging rebellion, everything they’ve been led to believe about their world and themselves must be called into question. But fighting for what’s right might mean betraying their countries, their families, and each other. Yeah..... that definitely wasn't my favourite 😬😬☹☹ I'm honestly annoyed at how badly it fell into second book syndrome 😤😤 Akos is in love with Cyra, in spite of his fate: he will die in service to Cyra’s family. And when Cyra’s father, Lazmet Noavek – a soulless tyrant, thought to be dead – reclaims the Shotet throne, Akos believes his end is closer than ever.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment