276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Fool Errant: A Benbow Smith Mystery: 1 (The Benbow Smith Mysteries)

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

from Latin errantem, the accusative feminine or masculine singular of errāns ( “ straying, errant; wandering ” ), the present active participle of errō ( “ to rove, wander; to get lost, go astray; to err, wander from the truth ” ), ultimately from Proto-Indo-European *h₁ers- ( “ to flow ” ). errant”, in Trésor de la langue française informatisé [Digitized Treasury of the French Language ], 2012. Do You Really Love Me Too" is a song written by Mark Barkan and Ben Raleigh and first released by American pop singer Barbara Chandler as the flip side to "I Live to Love" in October 1963. [3] Originally called "Fool's Errand", it was renamed "Do You Really Love Me Too" on the UK release of the single in December 1963. [4] Billy Fury version [ edit ] errant”, in The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th edition, Boston, Mass.: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2016, →ISBN. On a dark, foggy night, Hugo Ross encounters a beautiful woman. She claims to be running away and begs Hugo not to tell anyone that he’s seen her. Before boarding her train, she warns him not to take the job he’s applying for: secretary to eccentric inventor Ambrose Minstrel. The train pulls away, and the stunning stranger is gone.

Ambrose Minstrel, the inventor, is undoubtedly eccentric. But even his oddities cannot account for the strange events at Meade House. Young Hugo Ross, Minstrel’s new secretary, feels that all the dark happenings centre somehow on himself – cryptic remarks and veiled glances between Minstrel and his assistant, stealthy footsteps in the dead of night, the offer of a small fortune for the worthless field glasses. And then there is the unknown girl who had called from the dark, the rest of her statement swallowed by the night? But in spite of all his caution, Hugo Ross is drawn into a despicable plot involving government intrigue and espionage. With his own life on the line, how much is he willing to risk for his country? from Vulgar Latin iterāre (compare Late Latin itinerāre, itinerāri ( “ to travel, voyage ” )), from Latin iter ( “ a route (including a journey, trip; a course; a path; a road) ” ), ultimately from Proto-Indo-European *h₁ey- ( “ to go ” ); and Over the years this arrant foolishness has become a major dodge to hide what lawmakers are going to be doing… [ Washington Post] Fool Errant was originally published in 1929, and introduced the eccentric, elderly series character of Benbow Smith. This new edition features an introduction by crime fiction historian Curtis Evans. Present participle of errer ( “ to wander ” ), from Latin iterō ( “ I travel; I voyage ” ) rather than from errō, which is the ancestor of the other etymology of error ( “ to err; to make an error ” ).Please read chapter one as I did and had to borrow this book immediately (actually I just started it and said, 'well that's how it goes'): http://www.twbookmark.com/books/43/04... Paul Brians(2009),“ arrant/errant”, in Common Errors in English Usage, 2nd edition, Wilsonville, Or.: William, James & Company, →ISBN.

The brave young Loveday and the vampish Madame de Lara are the two poles of womanhood in these espionage novels. Loveday is pure and childlike, prone to mad acts of bravery followed by weeping on Hugo's manly shoulder. She nearly gets sold into white slavery due to trusting the wrong people. I mean, reely. Madame de Lara is a vamp, a scamp, and a bit of a tramp. She is not so much evil as greedy. Political intrigue and industrial espionage are brewing in Britain’s Foreign Office in this thriller from the author of the Miss Silver Mysteries A week after Chandler's version was released in the UK, English singer Billy Fury released his own version, titled "Do You Really Love Me Too (Fool's Errand)", as a single, which peaked at number 13 on the Record Retailer Top 50. [5] Release and reception [ edit ] To our surprise and arrant disbelief, this is how you spend every afternoon in Ventura.[ Punk News]At each of these stops Filidor runs into trouble with the monomaniacal natives where he has a hazardous and bizarre adventure. Even traveling between the towns turns out to be full of risks. Throw in an evil wizard that wants the box that Filidor is supposed to deliver to the Archon. errant, adj. (and n.)”, in OED Online ⁠, Oxford, Oxfordshire: Oxford University Press, March 2022; “ errant, adj.”, in Lexico, Dictionary.com; Oxford University Press, 2019–2022. Cover versions of What Am I Gonna Do written by Neil Sedaka, Howard Greenfield | SecondHandSongs". secondhandsongs.com . Retrieved 2021-08-27. Do You Really Love Me Too (Fool's Errand)" was released with the B-side "What Am I Gonna Do", a song written by Neil Sedaka and Howard Greenfield, first recorded by Sedaka for his debut album Neil Sedaka Sings Little Devil and His Other Hits, but was first released as a single by Jimmy Clanton. [6] In this 1920s mystery/thriller, Hugo Ross is so desperate for a job that he skulks around the foreboding house of an eccentric inventor, hoping to be hired on as assistant. And he is! But a warning from a mysterious woman who was running away has left him suspicious. The renowned inventor, Ambrose Minstrel, and his snarky secretary aren’t exactly on the up-and-up. The tantrums, the strange requests, and the bizarre men who are now following Hugo lead him to suspect that he is the unwitting fool in an elaborate set-up. He can’t get the warning and the deliciously strange woman out of his mind. When she calls again, Hugo decides to use his family connections to talk to Benbow Smith, a shadowy spy figure who sheds light on the real treacheries Minstrel is setting into action. Will Hugo take the high road and risk himself for truth and justice or will he chose to leave behind the dark mystery before it overtakes and destroys him?

Filidor, nephew and sole remaining heir of the Archon, has been kind of a dandy. He is at a club partying with his superficial friends when he gets a summons to see the Archon. It's a dwarf that has carried the message who recognizes that Filidor will try to squirm his way out of the meeting and won't let him out of his sight. They go to Binch to find they've just missed him, the same thing at Ektop, Zeel and Jasp. A bigger complaint, though also less important, were the names for the characters. I found them quite odd and other than suggesting an "otherness," which shouldn't have been since I believe this is a "future earth" setting, they didn't seem to have any sort of thought out basis. Maybe Matt would be able to suggest some though. William Safire( 22 January 2006),“ On Language: Arrant Nonsense”, in The New York Times Magazine‎ [1], New York, N.Y.: The New York Times Company, →ISSN, →OCLC, archived from the original on 2021-09-08. There is humor that offsets the repetitiveness, and each location has its own monomania. After the second time that Gaskarth leaves Filidor alone to go to the local Archonate office, I would have expected him to try to accompany the dwarf. Other than that Filidor does learn along the way, which is the point of the story. How he started off avoiding meaningful endeavors and now sees that sort of life is a waste, even though the adventures have been terrifying and dangerous. From Middle English erraunt [ and other forms ] , [1] from Anglo-Norman erraunt, from Old French errant, the present participle of errer ( “ to walk (to); to wander (to); ( figuratively) to travel, voyage ” ), and then: [2]Next, he takes up a position as secretary to a surly, eccentric genius, only to find himself in the middle of dark doings...yes, it's espionage! Arrant means complete or absolute. Errant means (1) roving, or (2) straying from the proper course. Arrant was originally a variant of errant,but it long ago developed a meaning of its own. It has negative connotations, usually modifyingnegative nouns (e.g., arrant fool, arrant nonsense). The villains come from Central Casting. Someone phoned Baddies R Us and requested one evil scientist, one dark and dangerous brute, and a red-headed Bolshie. Fantastic! a b "Billy Fury | full Official Chart History | Official Charts Company". www.officialcharts.com . Retrieved 2022-10-02. I really love these books from between the wars. Well, I'm not crazy about the casual racism, sexism, and xenophobia, but the core of the story is corny genius. Hugo alternates between blushing and stammering like an ingenue and doing the right thing because, dash it all, he's an English gentleman.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment