276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Swallows of Lunetto

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Joseph Fasano is the author of the novels The Swallows of Lunetto (Maudlin House, 2022) and The Dark Heart of Every Wild Thing (Platypus Press, 2020), which was named one of the "20 Best Small Press Books of 2020." His books of poetry include The Last Song of the World (BOA Editions, 2024), The Crossing (2018), Vincent (2015), Inheritance (2014), and Fugue for Other Hands (2013). His honors include the Cider Press Review Book Award, the Rattle Poetry Prize, and a nomination for the Poets' Prize, "awarded annually for the best book of verse published by a living American poet two years prior to the award year." Magical moment' for author as he sat next to stranger on plane reading his book". 23 February 2023.

something like that is perhaps beyond words. It’s a monstrous thing. And such things are only given a shape later. In the story we tell. from the Swallows of Lunetto by Joseph FasanoJoseph Fasano is the author of four books of poetry: The Crossing (Cider Press, 2018), Fugue for Other Hands (Cider Press, 2013), which won the 2011 Cider Press Review Book Award; Inheritance (Cider Press, 2014), which has been nominated for the James Laughlin Award; and Vincent (Cider Press, 2015). Fasano’s debut novel The Dark Heart of Every Wild Thing was released in 2020 by Platypus Press to high critical acclaim.

Fasano's first novel, The Dark Heart of Every Wild Thing, was published in 2020 to critical acclaim. [10] [11] [12] [13] His second novel, The Swallows of Lunetto, became a viral social media sensation during his 2023 European book tour, covered by the BBC, the Evening Standard, The Independent, and other media. [14] [15] [16] How do we live with our choices, grow through them and beyond them? How do we love those who have committed evil? How do we live with the legacy of our ancestor’s acts? About the Book: The Swallows of Lunetto is the powerful story of a young couple's escape from Italian fascism at the end of the Second World War. And then they blossomed. It’s difficult to explain just how this happened—it’s mysterious even, or perhaps especially, to me—but somehow, after years of laboring on two abandoned manuscripts (still I’m not sure if I abandoned them or they abandoned me), the path was clear before me. I knew what I had to do. Alexandra Bianchi lives and works in Lunetto, a provincial village in Italy's Calabria region, which finds itself ravaged by war in the summer of 1945. Leonardo Gemetti, a young man from Lunetto, has been missing for nearly eight years, and all his village knows of him is that he has carried out an atrocity against the Italian partisans in Mussolini's fallen Republic of Salò. When Alexandra meets a masked figure in the streets of Lunetto, she cannot imagine what she will learn about history and her place in it.A young woman in the village recalled the boy and connects with the man. She bears her own invisible scars. Her charcoal drawings reflect what she sees, the sea and her town and her sisters, and she studies them hoping to understand what she sees. To understand her life. He had been broken so many times, first by war and then by the wars within him, but he had prevailed. That’s all there is, to prevail. from The Swallows of Lunetto by Joseph Fasano So much of the brutal, beautiful magic of Christina Rosso's Creole Conjure is in its intricate details and how deftly they weave themselves together into a seductively monstrous, fairytale tapestry. Each one of these stories is inextricably intertwined with its sister stories-each a single coiled snake on the head of the well-groomed Gorgon. Strands of the old-world fairy tales we know are braided with the new-world characters and landscapes. In Rosso's darkly dreamy New Orleans and lush swamplands, women and girls find themselves both freed and dammned by their own bestial appetites. You can't be certain from one moment to the next who will be devouring whom." – Lindsay Lusby, author of Catechesis: a postpastoral My life was moving on. I began a new relationship, moved, cut down on drinking (and then, later, stopped altogether). I gave myself the time and space to change. And all the while, those roots I’d put down into the darkness were doing their work. When the man flees, she follows him. They make a simple life together. They make a baby together. But the man cannot escape his fate.

In 2013, the literary magazine Polutona released a selection of his poems in Russian translation. [17] Selected bibliography [ edit ] So I set out to make something else. And I did. There were months of research, plotting, scribbling, pulling the car to the side of the road on the way to the grocery to jot down a sentence, a line, an idea. And yet, once again, something was missing. I had a completed manuscript of what might otherwise have been a third novel, but I knew, in the end, I had nothing. Our Research Notes series invites authors to describe their process for a recent book, with “research” defined as broadly as they like. This week, Joseph Fasano writes about The Swallows of Lunetto from Maudlin House.Fasano seems to be always concerned with the archetypal webs of life and the characters really highlight the importance of that in his body of work - it’s all the more exciting to feel that relationship to the characters. They feel familiar not only because Italian culture feels warm and inviting, but because their stories and wisdom are in us - in some way - too. This is different from his previous novel which was concerned with just a few characters and moments of dialogue; this book moves differently and seems a new achievement for such a poetry-oriented author. He rises to the occasion. The Swallows of Lunetto is not a story of war, exactly. It is a story, in part, of war’s aftermath, of what happens when a young man looks up from his youth and realizes, with horror, what he has done. And it is a story of the love and forgiveness that just might be possible not only in spite of but because of the ways in which we have erred. About the Beverage: Joseph recommends pairing his novel with a San Pellegrino Aranciata Rossa because “it’s a refreshing (and sober) taste of Italy.” Joseph Fasano is the author of the novels The Swallows of Lunetto (Maudlin House, 2022) and The Dark Heart of Every Wild Thing (Platypus Press, 2020), which was named one of the “20 Best Small Press Books of 2020.” His books of poetry include The Crossing (2018), Vincent (2015), Inheritance (2014), and Fugue for Other Hands (2013). His honors include the Cider Press Review Book Award, the Rattle Poetry Prize, and a nomination for the Poets’ Prize, “awarded annually for the best book of verse published by a living American poet two years prior to the award year.”

There is so much to plumb in this story of personal and national trauma. Fasano has indicated the novel arose from his struggles with his own heritage. And this adds another layer to the story. Miljure, Ben. "New book offers imagined perspective of Greyhound bus killer". CTVNews Winnipeg . Retrieved 23 March 2015. Disappointing. Entire plot seems implausible - over the course of a few hours a woman falls for a man accused of a war-time massacre and leaves her village with him. She knows about the accusation but doesn’t ask for details about what actually happened. And what about the reader? What are the details of the massacre? Why did it happen? We’re forced to infer.

Follow Us

What had been missing in those previous manuscripts, I now see, was the voice, the inevitable music and thrust of the narrative. Suddenly—and as often happens in life, inexplicably—that voice announced itself to me, and I began writing. The difference, of course, was that now I was listening; I was letting the story have its way with me. Harvard Book Store welcomes JOSEPH FASANO, award-winning author, songwriter, and professor atColumbia University and Manhattanville College, for a discussion of his new novel The Swallows of Lunetto. Learning about one’s ancestors is a two-edged sword. I have personally discovered horror stories: a family massacred by Native Americans; forced conscription; generations of refugees pushing across continents, those persecuted for their faith traveling across an ocean; a runaway teenager fleeing a dictatorial father. And, most appalling of all, a beloved grandfather who spent four months in prison for attempted “ravishment” of a teenage girl. http://ciderpressreview.com/contributors/joseph-fasano-ba-2011/ Cider Press Review 2011 Book Award Announcement

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment