276°
Posted 20 hours ago

A Song of Comfortable Chairs (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency Book 23)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Coming to the main issues in the story, things don’t take off until the second half. The first half gathers information in bits and pieces, while the ‘solving process’ begins in the latter part. Of course, we know what and why already. It’s how that matters. One solution is simple, and the other is well… elaborate and dramatic. The teeny twist at the end adds a cheeky charm to the book. MY THOUGHTS: This was not at all what I expected and, to be quite honest, I felt cheated. Does it not say #1 Ladies Detective Agency? There is not much detecting takes place.

Precious and Grace come up with a scheme that would temporarily move the woman and her unruly son into Grace and Phuti's home. Physical punishment is forbidden in any attempt to discipline him for his bad behaviour. Their plan includes an undercover actor visiting the home and interacting with the antagonistic, hostile teenager. However, the plan is not working as the son shows no sign of changes in his attitude or behaviour. Suddenly, he is much calmer and wants to return to the previous home, apologize, and get along with his mother's new boyfriend. It seems he received a secret visit from Charlie, which improved the boy's outlook considerably. Of course, Grace cannot accept or credit Charlie's unorthodox methods of solving the case, now concluded with a happy ending. Now I see why the series is successful and much loved. The book doesn’t really fit any genre. The mysteries are not ‘mysteries’, but aspects of one’s life- things we see in society, issues someone has to deal with, and decisions people need to make. DISCLOSURE: Thank you to Knopf Doubleday via Netgalley for providing a digital ARC of A Song of Comfortable Chairs by Alexander McCall Smith for review. All opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own personal opinions. Charlie continues as a part-time detective in training and half-time as a mechanic in Precious's husband's car repair shop. He is still subject to taunts and insults from Grace, who contends this is sarcastic joking.In this 23rd book in the 'No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency' series - set in Gaborone, Botswana - Mma Precious Ramotswe's concerns include a problem in the office; a furniture store's cutthroat business practices; and a rebellious teen. The book can be read as a standalone, but familiarity with the characters is a bonus. Mma Ramotswe discusses this with her husband, Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni, during the special half-hour when the sun is setting and the spouses are relaxing on their verandah.

EXCERPT: Mma Ramotswe sighed. There was so much wrong with the world. There were so many cases of people behaving badly in one way or another, of people doing things that they should not do, and the more we scrutinised what was going on around us, the more we discovered of just this sort of thing. Under every stone, she sometimes thought, there is bound to be a scorpion. The Double Comfort Furniture Store has been selling finely crafted furnishings proudly manufactured in Botswana for two generations. Bills are mounting, accounts are in the red and Rra Phuti Radhiphuti is contemplating mounting a close-out sale. The happy couple could lose their home, as well as business and create financial hardships for their employees. What a happy occasion! The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency series ( Pantheon), written by Scottish author Alexander McCall Smith, debuted in 1998 with the novel by the same name, and since the first book’s publication, the series has become a worldwide publishing phenomenon.This is such a comforting read with wonderful outcomes for all concerned. Yes, I confess, it did seem a bit fluffy, especially compared to some of my other grittier reads, however if I pay attention in my daily walk of life I notice that I am surrounded by people who reach out to others through small gestures of care and consideration that make their day just a bit brighter and their hearts a little lighter. My favorite quotes are about tea and comforting others: In this latest installment in the beloved No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency series, Grace Makutsi encounters a pair of quandaries that will require all of her and Mma Ramotswe’s cleverness and generosity to resolve Followers of this series are in it for the long haul as it’s like catching up with old friends. More often than not, it’s not the gentle story/investigation unfurling that draws you in, but rather the keen observations that make you smile, the pearls of wisdom that cause you to pause and ponder. I like the main character PI Mma Precious Ramotswe’s formal and polite speech and kind treatment of others. Her pragmatic way of approaching a problem makes her an excellent detective. She has worked with Grace Makutsi for several years. Grace can grate on the nerves with her attempts to appear to be in charge, but Precious has more patience than I ever would with the whole Grace situation! This is a different kind of cozy mystery where there isn’t necessarily a dead body, but there is plenty of detecting. I recommend it to all cozy mystery lovers looking for a book with great characters, an entertaining mystery, and an underlying sense of kindness.

I love this author's Isabel Dalhousie series and I was looking forward to discovering another wonderful series by him. Instead, I was disappointed by the slow pace, and the repititiousness in the characters. It's odd, but the very things that I love about Isabel Dalhousie just don't work for me here. In this latest installment in the beloved No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series, Grace Makutsi encounters a pair of quandaries that will require all of her and Mma Ramotswe's cleverness and generosity to resolve Grace Makutsi's husband has a furniture business, which is in trouble. An international is selling furniture for cheaper prices. While Phuti Radiphuti is particular about quality and comfort, the new competitor is intent on sales and profits.That idea means that Orphan Farm matron, Mma Potokwani gets to star in an ad campaign and the photo shoot attracts not only staff of the Detective Agency and the Tlokweng Road Speedy Motors, but also a large support crew from the Orphan Farm. Over the years Mma Makutsi has promoted herself from secretary, to assistant detective, to co-detective, to co-director....and Mma Makutsi seems on the verge of upgrading herself once again. This is demonstrated by Mma Makutsi making her name more conspicuous on the firm's letterhead; buying a brass nameplate for herself; hiring a carpenter to enlarge her desk; and referring to herself as managing director. In this latest installment in the beloved No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency series, Grace Makutsi encounters a pair of quandaries that will require all of her and Mma Ramotswe’s cleverness and generosity to resolve.

But are things as easy as the plan? How will Grace Makutsi and Mma Ramotswe handle the latest complexities? Human nature is so predictable….even in a little corner of Botswana. I shook my head when I read about the seemingly petty jealousy Precious had to deal with. As is always the case, the world over, there’s a reason for a behaviour…and Precious graciously waits and finds it out. I could learn from her. I’m a reactor rather than a responder. I need to change that. Now. Narration: I thought the narrator, Lisette Lecat, did an excellent job. She has a wonderful accent and a pleasant voice. There are many characters in this story and she was able to give each one of them a unique voice.Throughout it all, the ladies (and their men) muse on many topics: unheeded parental wisdom, the benefits of occasional consumption of unhealthy food, the proliferation of extra features on any saleable item, the demise of dining tables and plates, and the curse of phased redundancy and planned obsolescence. Tea and fruit cake often accompany these musings. There is no end to the pleasure that may be extracted from these . . . books.” —Janet Malcolm, The New York Review of Books These scenarios make up the 'detective' parts of the book. The remainder of the novel is mostly about Mma Ramotswe and Mma Makutsi going about their business; Mma Ramotswe's inner musings; and the characters drinking tea and having rambling conversations.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment