276°
Posted 20 hours ago

A Certain Hunger: Chelsea G. Summers

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Instead, we move toward an ending which simply echoes the beginning. There are even a couple of near-the-end chapters that seem gratuitous to me, a fleshing out of the great execution of the whole conceit. In my jejune imagination, my dream lovers were uniform, each as beautiful, masculine, and replaceable as an Arrow shirt model. Really, what does a twelve-year-old know about men. To a girl, a man of thirty is impossibly old, if inconceivably desirable and infinitely replaceable. At twelve, my lust was little more than a vague mauve ache nestled in my cotton panties. I knew that lust was a dangerous thing, but I wanted these men to lust for me because, even though I didn’t know the precise shape and weight of lust, I knew that lust was power—and I wanted power even then. A Certain Hunger is a gripping monologue-style story that follows the life of Dorothy Daniels, a tenacious and passionate food critic. Despite her success in her career and love life, Dorothy's true mystery lies in her hidden identity as a serial killer. After discovering her insatiable hunger for taking lives, she becomes unstoppable in her pursuit of feeding this urge. One of the most uniquely fun and campily gory books in my recent memory... A Certain Hunger has the voice of a hard-boiled detective novel, as if metaphor-happy Raymond Chandler handed the reins over to the sexed-up femme fatale and really let her fly." -- The New York Times

dorothy then goes on a victim tirade of how brutally women are treated in the justice system and how brutal everyone is to her. emma, being a weirdo just like dorothy, allows dorothy to assault her (almost) and get away with it. Ugh, this book. Murderous, cannibalistic cougar food critic got my attention, but it was like the author stopped at that idea herself and never went further. Apparently this was meant to be a sort of “Hey, women can be evil, too” treatise, but instead of developing that idea we get chapter after chapter of our psychopathic narrator detailing all the food and sex she has, and the endless murders and consumption of her lovers. the way i see it, the issue is twofold. on one side is the quality of the writing, the voice given to the character. the narrator is meant to be 51 but rather she sounds like someone who never got over their 20s. particularly telling is the use of sat-level words that do not weave into flow of the prose organically. where there should be sophistication of language, it is instead replaced by the enthusiasm of a freshly graduated highly educated person who wants to share sooo badly how many new words and cultural artefacts they have learned just to make you feel lesser to them. just about the worst kind of person - all show off, no pay off.You who call women the fairer sex, you may repress and deny all you want, but some of us were born with a howling void where our souls should sway. I am a psychopath—and whatever their reasoning and whatever their diagnoses, the eager psychology and criminal justice students are right to study me. And if they’re wrong, I still enjoy their attention, and I’ll do what I must to encourage it. Other times it’s a more sustained academic critique. As she meditates at one point, “I could never be a mass murderer. Mass murder is gauche. Mass murder is to serial killing as McDonald’s is to Peter Luger. Both establishments serve chopped beef, but one is indiscriminate to the point of ubiquity whereas the other is carnal dining at its bespoke finest.” This is the fake memoir of popular food critic Dorothy Daniels - she adores food, adores sex - oh and she happens to be a serial killer who eats parts of her victims! this is particularly egregious when it comes to the descriptions and discussion of cannibalism. i wouldn't have minded a casual tone from a psychopath, i would not expect anything else from commercial fiction. but this sanitised writing style somehow strips an inherently transgressive act off of its transgressiveness. i get that chelsea, by showing dorothy deny alex's proposal, is trying to show that dorothy chose herself instead of alex and a life with alex, that she chose to remain who she is instead of becoming "just his wife", but in reality, all it shows is that she decided to destroy her and his life out of a pitiful desire to be unique. which, by the way, she very much is not.

well, this wasn't very good. i cannot even give if "good for her" points since there was nothing enjoyable to it. the main character was not simply unlikeable - which would have been fine - but completely insufferable by way of being both self-important and vapid. dorothy also compares herself, a white gentile woman, to anne frank, which is made even worse by something else we have to discuss later on regarding this book. This article needs an improved plot summary. Please help improve the plot summary. ( December 2020) ( Learn how and when to remove this template message)

Chelsea G. Summers

PDF / EPUB File Name: A_certain_hunger_-_Chelsea_G_Summers.pdf, A_certain_hunger_-_Chelsea_G_Summers.epub

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment