276°
Posted 20 hours ago

A Pinch of Magic (A Pinch of Magic Adventure)

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I don't know, just, shake the world, make the story be "the one that did that", not "yet again a romance story like the others". There’s such a strange dynamic between siblings – you can be at each others’ throats one minute and leaping to each others’ defence the next. Widdershin sisters Fliss, Betty and Charlie are the latest in a long line of Widdershin women to be cursed to never leave their home island, or else they'll be dead by sundown. The beautiful cover alone often inspires artwork, but add the map of the Misty Marshes and the evocative descriptions of the Poacher’s Pocket Pub, the prison on the Repent Isle and the Lament Isle, you have a lovely craft playdate. Granny then breaks the devasting news that all Widdershins’ girls are trapped by an ancient curse and if they ever leave Crowstone, they will die by the following sunrise.

Trapped by a family curse on the dreary island of Crowstone, the three Widdershins sisters ache for more exciting lives. A Pinch of Magic follows three Widdershins sisters - Fliss, Betty and Charlie - who are cursed to always live on Crowstone. I also particularly liked the chapters dedicated to Sorcha's story and the clever way it was interwoven into the current storyline that made it feel more like a magical fairytale. I was captivated from the first page, and only put it down last night because I had to close my eyes to sleep. She hits you with waves of language play in the place names, the swearwords and insults of the islanders.But after stumbling upon a mysterious prisoner who claims to be able to help them, they find themselves in great danger. In this darkly believable world of magic and myth, Betty is a likeable, funny and feisty protagonist, full of courage and determination. I had a great adventure alongside Betty, her sisters and a few more characters I cannot talk about due to spoilers.

Throw in a prisoner who wants to escape, 2 excellently brave sisters and a mysterious legend of a young dark magic witch in a tower and you have this incredible tale. This riveting tale of witchcraft, love and betrayal will have readers on the edge of their seats, as the sisters race against time to try to break the curse. Od bardzo dawna nie czytałam książki, która wciągnęłaby mnie aż tak bardzo, jak „Szczypta magii”- od samego początku aż do końca. It was absolutely thrilling - I felt as though I was in the story going on the adventures with the three sisters.Marmaid could have a different livespan, or have cultural differencies that made a romantic relation super bumpy. When I reached the last couple chapters, I just had to bump it up to 10,000 stars because I loved the ending so much. This is a very well-written book, particularly the way in which Michelle Harrison describes the feelings and emotions of the three sisters - there is a fantastic atmosphere to the book.

With an involved story and lyrical writing style, this isn’t an easy read for less confident readers. That everything you ever wanted to imagine in a story is there, perfectly articulated on the pages you're holding in your hand? Betty Widdershins and her two sisters live with their bad-tempered Granny in the Poacher’s Pocket, a rowdy, tumbledown inn on the dismal island of Crowstone.

The world building is good, with plenty of descriptions to give colour to the island and help set the scene of a stormy and hostile environment. when I’ve written them into yet another sticky spot, but I know I’ll always bring the sisters – and the reader – back to a safe place. And these magical objects come with their own terrible secret: the sisters' family is haunted by a generations-long curse that prevents them from ever leaving their island--at the cost of death. Like Betty, my middle sister Janet is the ‘leader’– something she secretly likes even if she pretends to find it annoying.

I didn't get that, I didn't care for these two other characters who were included and aided Betty throughout the book, I wanted all three sisters on this adventure together. I mean, this is a re-read so I did know haha, but when I first read this, it took me completely by surprise.The story uses lots of dialogue in simple structures so share reading could be adult support on the descriptive passages with the younger reader taking one character’s words. It takes a while for the reader to get an idea of what the book will be about, and when it is set, but after that it is a very good book. The Widdershins sisters – Fliss, Betty and Charlie – live with their granny on the island of Crowstone, a miserable, end of the line kind of place, all damp, and marsh and mist.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment