276°
Posted 20 hours ago

She Knows Y'Know [DVD]

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Baker was born in Farnworth, Lancashire, the first of seven children. Her father, Harold Baker, was a painter and signwriter, who also worked part-time in the music halls as a comedian. At ten, Baker made her debut at the Opera House, Tunbridge Wells, and continued to tour as a single variety act — singing, dancing and performing impersonations. By 14, she had started writing, producing and performing her own shows. Her stage act included a gossip from the North of England, with a silent, sullen companion named "Big Cynthia", almost always played by a man in drag (such as Victor Graham, and lastly by Matthew Kelly). [3] Her act was full of malapropisms and catchphrases that had become part of her public persona, the most familiar being "She knows, y'know!" and, when asked the time "It's quarter past... I must get a little hand put on this watch." [4] Film and television career [ edit ] I think this is a play for Hylda Baker fans and Music Hall lovers only. If you do not know the character then you might find parts of the play, particularly the humour, bizarre. Hylda Baker (4 February 1905 – 1 May 1986) was an English comedian, actress and music hall performer. Born and brought up in Farnworth, Lancashire, she is perhaps best remembered for her role as Nellie Pledge in the Granada ITV sitcom Nearest and Dearest (1968–1973) and for her role in the 1960 film Saturday Night and Sunday Morning. [ citation needed] Early life and career [ edit ] Monthly Film Bulletin said "Hearty over-acting from Hylda Baker cannot prevent this being just one more conveyor-belt North Country farce. All the old familiar jokes and situations are affectionately preserved, with a pop singer and coffee bar thrown in to prove that the film’s makers are bang up to date with the mood of the fifties." [3]

Alison Steadman played Baker in the play Our Hylda by Martyn Hesford, first broadcast on BBC Radio 4 on 15 June 2017. Howard was infatuated with Marina and she encouraged him to get away from Pearl, but their antics never went beyond a kiss. Bike rides with views of dry-stone walls and the Yorkshire landscape behind them became the standard scenario – and the mini-skirt-wearing Fergusson had to endure the elements. “My character doesn’t get to wear an overcoat,” she said. “There’s no room for thermals! I never knew what teeth-chattering meant until I came to do this series.” Whether you may want to use "speaks English" instead of "knows English" would depend on the context. If you were traveling and wanted to find someone that you could talk to in English, you would prefer "speaks". For example "Does anyone here speak English?"

See also

Renowned for her malapropisms and catchphrases, including ‘she knows you know’ and ‘you big girl’s blouse’, Baker also took on serious roles with great acclaim. Baker’s singing partner Arthur Mullard, pictured, starred in his own TV series with Queenie Watts in 1976. The parents decide to find someone else to marry the girl. And that's the plot so far. Not sure if you would want to watch this dog to find out what happens. I guess I will finish (14 minutes left) but I don't think I will like it! Th play is a complicated one, but one that probably reflects the life of Hylda Baker. However, Jean Ferguson puts everything in to the part and she is so convincing and believable. She captures the personality and image of Hylda Baker perfectly. You could tell she had researched this character fully, as it felt at times that it was Hylda Baker on the stage herself!

How well do you remember Hylda Baker and her co-stars? Why not test your knowledge in our quiz and compare your score with friends?She Knows You Know' has a limited season at the Vaudeville until December. However, the theatre was barely half full, and for a Saturday evening this is not good and suggests the show may not make it to December. This is a pity, but then American tourists, who are probably the most important theatre goers to London Theatres, have probably never heard of Hylda Baker and so, are put off seeing this play. Material taken from Wednesday's edition of the M.E.N. D iscover more fascinating photos and nostalgic features of Manchester , see the M.E.N. on Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday or visit M.E.N. Nostalgia. For the Bournemouth run of the Roy Clarke creation, Robert Fyfe and Juliette Kaplan replaced the original actors playing Howard and Pearl (then named Ivy). Fergusson, Fyfe and Kaplan were introduced to the TV version in 1985 and soon became regulars, staying until the final episode 25 years later. They were looking for a blowsy blonde,” she said. “I did a reading and the director said, ‘You’re in – you start today.’”

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment