276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Normal People: One million copies sold

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Not for the first time Marianne thinks cruelty does not only hurt the victim, but the perpetrator also, and maybe more deeply and more permanently. You learn nothing very profound about yourself simply by being bullied; but by bullying someone else you learn something you can never forget." It works at two levels: as a love story and as a sharing of insights into the many moods and feelings between those who love each other. The latter particularly appealed to me, and I felt often enough like saying, ‘Yes, Sally, I’ve felt just that, and so has someone else from what I could guess, and it couldn’t have been captured better’ that I had to give it four stars. Normal People is a story of mutual fascination, friendship and love. It takes us from that first conversation to the years beyond, in the company of two people who try to stay apart but find they can't.

Normal People: One million copies sold a book by Sally Rooney. Normal People: One million copies sold a book by Sally Rooney.

Digital Reads A Curse For True Love : the thrilling final book in the Once Upon a Broken Heart series

Customer reviews

Elif Batuman, author of my favourite "The Idiot" said: "I couldn't put "Normal People" down - I didn't think I could love it as much as "Conversations with Friends", but I did. Sally Rooney is a treasure. I can't wait to see what she does next." This line above kind of sums up what this whole book is about. Sure stories are always about people but there has to be something plausible, connectable, interesting, less tedious? Marriane is a loner at school, not interested in interacting with others yet there is this one guy in school who she feels safe with, Connell. Connell, I felt turned out to be a very confusing character. He is not sure of his own place and he makes Marriane’s life a little odd too.

Normal People by Sally Rooney | Paper Plus Normal People by Sally Rooney | Paper Plus

I had watched the series and I felt the BBC did add more soul to this book and it definitely did a good job in making it a series. Products can be returned in store, or by post, for exchange or credit as long as they are returned in saleable condition within 28 days.

I really cannot see why the novel made it to the Man Booker Prize longlist. And yes, perhaps it's not a one star book but at this point, this is what I feel. Connell and Marianne grow up in the same small town in the west of Ireland, but the similarities end there. In school, Connell is popular and well-liked, while Marianne is a loner. But when the two strike up a conversation - awkward but electrifying - something life-changing begins. Sally Rooney set the books world buzzing in 2017 with her debut Conversations With Friends; Normal People is a girl-meets-boy story with a difference, interrogating the difficulties of sincere communication in a complicated, post-ironic world. Their lives move forward, going to the same college, meeting different people and their lives take a turn. Connell now finds himself in the shoes of Marriane, being the loner at Trinity and trying to make his life through everything.

Normal People: One million copies sold : Rooney, Sally Normal People: One million copies sold : Rooney, Sally

Interesting novel and easy to read but quite difficult to follow in places as there are no speech marks so it's not always easy to follow whether it is description or a comment made by the characters. I also did not enjoy the unfinished and abrupt ending! Interesting novel and easy to read but quite difficult to follow in places as there are no speech marks so it's not always easy to follow whether it is description or a comment made by the characters. I also did not enjoy the unfinished and abrupt ending! How strange to feel herself so completely under the control of another person, but also how ordinary. No one can be independent of other people completely, so why not give up the attempt, she thought, go running in the other direction, depend on people for everything, allow them to depend on you, why not." Hive Store Ltd 2020. (hive.co.uk) is registered in England. Company number: 07300106. VAT number: 444950437. Best novel this year by a country mile is Normal People by Sally Rooney . . . Brilliant., Spectator Books of the Year I read the whole book on one sitting! The dialogue is simple and so easy to follow. You fall in love with both characters and their relationship.Throughout the book I kept thinking why, why is this not working for me? Why I'm becoming more and more annoyed? Why don't I care? Why?? Maybe because I am no longer a target audience of the book.

Normal People Million Copies by Rooney Sally - AbeBooks

Nice enough writing and observations but somewhat dull and infantile. The very notion of the two people, seemingly perfect for each other, ruining each other's lives over and over again drove me mad. It became repetitive, then it became boring. I just could not stand reading about on-off relationship of these young damaged adults while such important matters like domestic abuse, depression and mental health in general were hugely overlooked.So this is what young white people do and this is how they think and this is how they communicate (or fail at communicating) and how their relationships are. This was the takeaway from what is beautifully written angsty-mopey tale of two Howard Roark-ish teenagers (without his clarity of purpose, but with his intelligence) set in Ireland (but it is really a microcosm for any First World White Person country). But when the two strike up a conversation - awkward but electrifying - something life-changing begins. Normal People is a story of mutual fascination, friendship and love. Soft cover. Condition: Very Good. It has been read so some creasing but a clean copy from a smoke free home. The book you see is the book you will receive. But that was their world then. Their feelings were suppressed so carefully in everyday life, forced into smaller and smaller spaces, until seemingly minor events took on insane and frightening significance."

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment