276°
Posted 20 hours ago

City of Rust: an out-of-this-world sci-fi adventure!

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I always bang on about a book called The Otherlife by Julia Gray. It’s set in our world, but with a touch of Odin and Loki, heavy metal, and two of the most engaging characters I’ve ever read. I love it. Set in a dystopian future world where the Earth has been overwhelmed with its own trash- an all too feasible scenario- and where the rubbish stored in space now completely encircles the planet. Very different life-styles have evolved, from the privileged few inhabiting the mountain top City of Glass and the earth dwellers scraping a living amongst the rusting junk below in Boxville- the City Of Rust. Above them all, the feared Junker clans make their fortunes mining the rubbish in space. I think the themes around waste, the environment and STEM are great general talking points for classroom discussion – I’d love for the book to instil a make-do and mend attitude. Can we look at rubbish and see what it can be remade into? How can be reused again, rather than just recycled? An art project (Care, one of the Junker characters, creates art out of rubbish) would be amazing! Despite being a complete layman, she still has an unwavering passion for space, and loves nothing more than sharing that passion through her stories and author events. Despite this idyllic East Midlands childhood, something bigger soon called, and after an eventful sojourn at the University of Lincoln, Gemma made her way to London.

Being able to share whole worlds with readers. I’ll never get tired of people saying they liked a certain character, or wished they could taste a certain food, or that quote certain lines from the book that they liked. I just think… Wow, I made that up, this is crazy! What is the editing process like for you? What does it involve? What did you have to edit out of this book to make it work?City of Rust is an original and thought provoking novel for readers aged 9+. It is an entertaining and the perfect space mystery for KS2/KS3 readers.

I’ve found that human beings learn from their misdeeds just as often as from their good deeds. I am envious of that, for I am incapable of misdeeds. Were I not, then my growth would be exponential.” ― Neal Shusterman, Scythe City of Rust is a must read for sci-fi fans, perfect for anybody who loves star wars, The Danger Gang or other out of this world adventures. I love the creativity of bringing character to something unexpected like an inanimate object. These characters might not always have the best lines (because a lot of them don’t talk) but they nearly always steal the show. I grew up loving the Magic Mirror in Snow White, and Enid Blyton’s winged Wishing Chair. When I was older I snorted with laughter at the escapades of The Luggage in Terry Pratchett’s The Colour of Magic, and most recently, have fallen in love with a cloud in Tamsin Mori’s The Weather Weaver. Gemma Fowler’s world-building is exceptional, and her version of Earth has echoes of Blade Runner, Wall-E and Star Wars. A thrilling galactic mystery with a powerful message at its heart about caring for the planet we call home.” Book Trust, Best new books for April

LoveReading4Kids Says

So here are some of the non-human characters that I’ve fallen in love with, and that have influenced my writing over the years: City of Rust is the first middle-grade (ages 9+) offering from author Gemma Fowler. This delicious, dystopian novel is the perfect mixture of Mad Max, Cogheart (Peter Bunzl) and The Tin Forest (Helen Ward) – a perfect choice for young readers who have a thirst for sci-fi adventures. The intricate, golden cover design by Karl James Mountford immediately draws the reader into a junkyard world, where waste is treasure.

Take a floating cargo ship, a drone, a gyrosphere. Or just take a plunge into an abyss… However you travel, hold on tight, because this book is a ride!The Thunderhead is the morally conflicted computer ‘cloud’ that controls the post mortal age world in Neal Shusterman’s Scythe trilogy. These books have been some of my favourite reads of the last few years and I found the Thunderhead’s constant battle (and expert way it talks itself into making loopholes) with it’s own moral programing a refreshing take on the behaviour of artificial intelligence.

An edge-of-your-seat thriller, combining an authentic YA contemporary voice with high-concept but accessible science fiction. Buy here!What advice would you give to teachers about how to develop reading for pleasure in their classrooms and schools? Thank you so much Gemma for your brilliant piece – Scythe is one of my favourite trilogies so I particularly loved seeing the influence of Thunderhead, and there’s lots of other memorable characters mentioned too! There is a satisfaction that comes from the editing process though. I can’t remember which author said it (it wasn’t me), but they likened the process to carving a statue – the first draft is a lump of granite, then with each edit the shape and form begins to emerge. I think that sums it up perfectly.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment