276°
Posted 20 hours ago

23rd Midnight: A serial killer behind bars. A copycat killer on the loose… (Women’s Murder Club 23) (Women's Murder Club)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Patterson knows where our deepest fears are buried... there's no stopping his imagination New York Times Book Review In my opinion, this series, written by Patterson and Paetro since the fifth book has been really hit and miss over the last five to eight outings. At times, it has lost steam, including superficial and ludicrous serial killer villains, repetitive and formulaic storylines that have grown old, and stagnant growth in most of the primary characters. The hunt for the killer is interspersed with another Women’s Murder Club member, prosecutor Yuki Castellano, trying a domestic violence case. That is horrible enough, although fascinating in the way events get interpreted and twisted, but pales in comparison to the senseless, nihilistic murders committed by the killer. Practically speaking in terms of the reading experience this translates into non stop action and a plot full of twists and turns. I got really immersed and could feel the tension and frustration of the characters as the murders pile up and Yuki waits for a verdict. This isn’t always a given in the authors’ work as sometimes they substitute action for emotion, but today I felt it and finished the novel in one sitting, desperate for a successful outcome. That means that I adored the final prison scene and my righteous enjoyment of comeuppance. Cindy has just promoting her published her new true crime novel and becomes embroiled when an obsessed fan starts causing problems that mirror the original serial killers actions. Lindsay has to try and catch the criminal. This year’s outing - “The 23rd Midnight”- has three primary plots – Lindsey’s police team’s hunt for a serial killer, Cindy’s troubled book tour, and Yuki’s courtroom case involving a battered wife. This time it’s Claire’s turn to play more of a supporting role.

For those who are avid readers and fans of this series, I have some good news. Not great, but still, good. It would appear I’m in the minority for this book when it comes to low scores. I hope that it a reflection of my tastes rather than the book as I have enjoyed others by this author This book has the usual murder that Detective Lindsay Boxer has to try and solve along with her colleagues and usually with her 3 best friends Cindy, a journalist, Yuki a prosecutor and Claire, the Chief Medical Examiner who all get involved in one way or another. Unfortunately, with so many strong story lines featuring the other three, Claire didn't see as much time in this one. That was the only thing I was bummed about. But, it wouldn't have made sense with the flow of the story to insert her randomly where she wouldn't normally be. I would like to thank Netgalley and Random House UK, Cornerstone for an advance copy of 23rd Midnight, the twenty-third novel to feature Detective Sergeant Lindsay Boxer of the San Francisco PD and her friends, known collectively as the Women’s Murder Club.An obsessed fan is studying every detail-and committing fresh horrors that carry Burke's signature. Patterson boils a scene down to a single, telling detail, the element that defines a character or moves a plot along. It's what fires off the movie projector in the reader's mind Michael Connelly The characters a came across as quite one dimensional and I struggled to connect with them or feel anything towards them. I’m aware that this is a part of a series but equally I should’ve been made to feel like I was part of ‘the gang’. Instead I was left utterly confused as to why this group of women ‘the murder club’ felt it was totally okay to talk shop with one another - because they are friends. Anyone who knows me, knows that I am a James Patterson mega fan girl 😆 I just love his books, with their short and punchy chapters, characters that feel like family now and killers that you can’t wait to get what is coming to them. I am always thrilled to get approved for early copies of his books, so a massive thank you to Random House UK for feeding my addiction.

Lindsay put prolific serial killer Evan Burke behind bars and her friend, journalist Cindy Thomas, wrote a bestselling book about his crimes. Now a new killer is walking in Burke’s footsteps and recreating his crimes with Cindy in his crosshairs with Lindsay in hot pursuit. I love James Patterson books and the Women’s murder club ones are usually superb, this one does not disappoint in any way. In fact once I started reading it I couldn’t stop and read it in a day!

Retailers:

In a separate case Yuki is prosecuting a domestic violence case against Lewis Sullivan for the attempted murder of his wife who is left with horrific injuries. Terrific, high-octane, really pacy... every scene is a film - every character real, and every plot point leaves us breathless Jo Spain

Lindsay is tasked, alongside her partner Rich Conklin, in investigating 'copy cat' murders taking place across many jurisdictions, all somehow linked to past murders of Evan Burke. What does he know and will he talk? All the while, fellow Murder Club vet, Yuki Castellano is, in court, working on a case with its own dire consequences. A man is accused of depriving his wife of the necessities of life after chaining her up in the basement of their home. While Yuki is sure that this is a slam dunk, the accused tells a story of depravity committed against him and how he was out of his head. Something’s got to give as the case (and Cindy’s kidnapping) come to a head in this electric tale of crime, murder, and the connection of the core four. Patterson and Paetro do well to progress the series and keep me wondering what’s to come. Detective Lindsay Boxer put serial killer Evan Burke behind bars. Now a new killer has recreated Burke's most infamous crimes-and disappeared without a trace.No one gets this big without natural storytelling talent - which is what Jim has, in spades Lee Child At the same time, Cindy Thomas, news reporter and author is attending the first event on her tour promoting her new book on the life of serial killer, Evan Burke, who is serving life in prison. Her fellow members of the Women’s Murder Club – Lindsay, Yuki, and Claire – show up to support her and indulge in a celebratory dinner afterwards. For the first time I'm not giving 5*. Not because of anything negative but in all honesty it's got to the point where alot of what is happening (bar the actual plot) I've come to sort of predict. These are delightful female characters ably supported by an excellent ongoing male supporting cast.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment