276°
Posted 20 hours ago

A Poet for Every Day of the Year

£10£20.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I also had fun with the index of first lines at the end of A Poet for Every Day of the Year, reading them aloud like performance poetry and seeing if they would work as found poems in their own right! Life-affirming, witty and full of wonder, these poems chronicle his own battle with the dark and are fuelled by resilience and defiant joy. I loved it unreservedly and it’s one of my books of the year because it brings human connection and joy to the reader. Some offer insightful biographical details or key historical context, while others may provide quirky, humorous anecdotes.

I loved to explore different poets / authors, of whome I already heard before or who I otherwise would have never known, who are dead or alive, young and old, writting on topics I find fascinating or I couldn’t care less about. With poems from greats like William Shakespeare to modern poets like Carol Ann Duffy, this collection will keep you company for every day of your life.The Contents of A Poet for Every Day of the Year list the poem and poet for each calendar day although I prefer not to look at that properly until next year when I’ve enjoyed a daily surprise from the book. A Poet for Every Day of the Year is utterly wonderful and an absolute must for any lover of poetry, of words, of people.

One of the absolute pleasures here is the attention to more marginalised poets such as those from the LGBTQIA+ community so that A Poet for Every Day of the Year feels inclusive and engaging. In the years since he first had the idea of prescribing short, powerful poems for all manner of spiritual ailments, William Sieghart has taken his Poetry Pharmacy around the length and breadth of Britain, into the pages of the Guardian, onto BBC Radio 4 and onto the television, honing his prescriptions all the time.

A great habit to be cultivated throughout a year, for once if you want to broaden yourselves in poetry and for other to pick up books in general mire often. Perfect for reading aloud and sharing with all the family, this book dazzles with an array of familiar favourites and remarkable new discoveries. Let the Light Pour In is a collection of the best of these poems, and a book celebrating this morning practice.

However, one minor point is that there was some overlap with 'A Poem for Every Night of the Year', which I think should've been avoided, considering it's the same editor publishing these anthologies.Sometimes I did feel a few of the poems were overly long with too much description but most were short and easy to read. We’re currently reading “A poem for every day of the year”, and we’ve enjoyed it so much, have said that we need to find a good next book to keep this habit going. What is particularly enjoyable about this book is its layout providing detail about the poet such as the time they lived in making it a wonderful collection to dip into and I would thoroughly recommend adding it to any book lovers collection. This anthology has so much to offer and every time I think about it next to the bed ready for me to read last thing at night it brings happiness and a smile to my face. From Shakespeare, Emily Bronte and William Wordsworth through to Wendy Cope, Sylvia Plath and Leonard Cohen, this lovely book invites readers to make poetry a part of their everyday routine.

This pocket-sized book presents the most essential poems in his dispensary: those which, again and again, have really shown themselves to work. These poetic prescriptions and wise words of advice offer comfort, delight and inspiration for all; a space for reflection, and that precious realization - I'm not the only one who feels like this.Perfect for reading aloud and sharing with all the family, it is bursting at the seams with familiar favourites and exciting new discoveries. dh A Poem For Every Day of the Year is a magnificent collection of 366 poems compiled by Allie Esiri, one to share on every day of the year.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment