276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Juno Loves Legs

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Navigating youth and beauty as their only commodity, they strike out together, into the fledgling world of art, the markets and thrift shops and arcades of Dublin, and late night parties in abandoned and grand buildings, but the secrets they’ve kept from each other finally catch up and may be their undoing. Karl Geary’s sophomore novel flirts with and then darkly subverts the marriage plot, killing off the nuclear family in an attempt to remake it, with a difference." —Annabel Barry, Chicago Review of Books A heartbreaker, and absolutely unforgettable' DONAL RYAN, bestselling author of The Queen of Dirt Island

I love cinema, I really do. But cinema now has been transformed and it’s become a kind of a spectacle. There’s very little independent film gets made and if it does get made it usually has to have a star attached, which is less interesting to me ... The relationship between the reader and the writer – that place where they meet ... where the reader has to show up with their imagination, and they have to do a little bit of work, and you hopefully have done enough work that they can have that experience. It’s kind of alchemy, isn’t it?” Thank you to Dreamscape Media and NetGalley who provided me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All the thoughts and opinions are my own. Juno Loves Legs is tender and heartbreaking. Young friendship takes on all the world's challenges—love, art, family, the simple and overwhelming task of survival—with tragic, poignant results. Readers will find Juno's bravado and Legs's persistent sweetness unforgettable." — Shelf Awareness In the East Village he found what “in retrospect, you called a scene, but we didn’t know it was a scene”. It was a creatively fertile, if gritty, place where he could fill in the gaps in his education by reading, and exchanging books and ideas with friends. I knew tons. What’s curious is these are outcasts among the outcasts, right? They both feel incredibly helpless, but friendship and kindness emancipate them. Juno performs this little act of courage in the playground and Legs takes her hand, and change starts to happen.

When we think about prose, working-class people are used for comic effect, or as a trope. I really wanted to not do that. If you take the delicate interactions that people have in their lives, you have a chance of revealing people as people, outside of their class. You get a more tactile, almost sensuous sense of a world that’s usually left out. If you are in the mood for a novel that will rip your heart out and slap you repeatedly in the face with it, have I got a recommendation for you . . . [A] beautiful tale of survival and how friendship can be a salvation.”—Liberty Hardy, Book Riot

Frankenstein. I started it and I don’t know what happened. It’s so contemporary and brilliant and the whole history of the book is fascinating. I’m still gasping to read it.Karl Geary is such a beautiful writer. Juno Loves Legs is completely authentic and harrowing and brilliantly observed . . . a heartbreaker, and absolutely unforgettable. Donal Ryan, author of THE QUEEN OF DIRT ISLAND The raw, lilting poetry of Juno’s voice provides a series of heartbreaking revelations." —Ron Charles, The Washington Post I love vintage shops. You walk in and get that smell – it’s the smell of stories, because every garment has been worn for a multitude of occasions. And sewing is very like writing. I took a course in Glasgow and made a dress. It’s a dog’s dinner but I’m so proud of it. Juno Loves Legs is the story of two teens labeled as delinquents. Juno and "Legs" grow up on the same housing estate in Dublin, where spirited, intelligent Juno is ostracized for her poverty and Legs is persecuted for his sexuality; they find safety only in each other. Juno's combination of vulnerability and hard edges lends her a tender toughness that makes it impossible to turn away. Geary's writing is wonderfully revealing and beautiful, particularly when describing characters' clothing, which is often used to show or hide their emotions. Altogether achingly memorable." — Booklist (starred review)

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment