276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Things We Never Said

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

It is a wonderful story of a look at life through pictures, and everything that Catherine was thinking at those times, but just could say. From fun vacations, to the birth of their child, to friends they have had, to affairs both real and unreal. It is a story to show Sean that she had a good life, a loving life, and one she wished she could continue, but knows she cannot. It is a story of loosing a partner to illness, and having to survive those following months after her death, but to have that one time a week to hear her voice. To be happy, mad, angry, sad, and joyful with her. To hear her say she had a good life and that she regrets nothing. This book begins at the funeral of Catherine Campbell, wife to Sean and mother to April. Sean and Catherine are both in their early 50’s, living in Cambridge, when Catherine is diagnosed with cancer. Their daughter, April, is in her 30’s and is living in London. Catherine’s decline is rapid and two years after diagnosis she has passed away.

Trošku mě mrzí, že anotace na přebalu knihy prozrazuje hodně z děje, myslím, že bych byla z akce mnohem víc překvapená, kdybych anotaci nečetla, na druhou stranu tomu rozumím, tohle rozhodně čtenáře přiláká. There are also a few racist comments passed by some characters in the book which, of course, might not reflect the author's own thoughts but were unsettling either way. Once again, I am not a fan of infidelity treated as a light matter, or something that "strengthens a couple's bond".I really enjoyed reading a book where the main characters are around the same age as me because although I have never been married, there were a lot of things that I could relate to having lived over five decades.

A tak se přihlásí na stránku MementoMori, která má určit čas i způsob jejich smrti a přidělí jim kamaráda na sebevraždu. A tak se Mehrín, Cara a Olivia seznámí a zjistí, že společně mohou být jedna druhé oporou. Jenže už není cesty zpět. This debut novel is an absolute triumph in voice and style - each of the 3 POV characters are so fully realized, you will feel like you've known them your entire life and will not want to let them go.

A Note From the Publisher

Anxiety and depression are illnesses, right? Not everyone accepts that, but it's scientifically correct. So anxiety is making you feel like this and depression is making you want to do this. The thing with mental illness is that it dominates your mind, pushes out everything that was originally there. So you could argue that it's not you making this decision, it's the anxiety and depression. Or your 'Chaos'." V průběhu čtení mě chvílemi dost mrazilo. Představte si, že jste ve fast foodu a u stolku vedle sedí tři holky. Kamarádky, řeknete si. Možná si jich ani vůbec nevšimnete. Jenže co když se ty kamarádky seznámily skrz společné nutkání se zabít a právě teď přede všemi a před nikým sepisují dopisy na rozloučenou rodičům? Může to být kdokoliv. Co když ten člověk,co sedí naproti vám v metru,jede metrem naposled?\\ . Sean has lost his wife Catherine to cancer, and she has left him a box containing voice messages and photographs for him to open, one a week, over 29 weeks. These reveal her thoughts and experiences of their life together, beginning when they met as teenagers until she was aware her life was ebbing away as her illness took over. The description of her sensing the shadows drawing her into them, and away from the path of pain she was in, was so evocative and absolutely heartbreaking. To lose someone you really love/ is hard beyond belief/ Your heart comes close to breaking point/ and no one knows the grief/ Many times I’ve thought of you / and many times I’ve cried/ If my love could have saved you/ you never would have died.”

This is a great read and a reminder to say the things that need to be said while you can and enjoy life now because the future is promised to no one. On one of Catherine's tapes, she tells Sean "...like the Buddhists apparently say, there is no future and there is no past. They're both just things that happen in your mind. In reality, there is only ever the present moment." BBC Arts correspondent Rebecca Jones presents two thought provoking short dramas from the next generation of dramatists.Oh my days, I devoured this book in just a few sittings. It tugged at my emotions, all of them, happy and sad. I followed Sean as he found things out and how some of these revelations spilled over into his present day life. At the same time, Maggie and April, oblivious to what Sean was doing, were also trying to come to terms with their loss. Yes, of course some of the things that happened in the book were a little predictable but there was definitely enough along the way to keep my interest completely, making it very hard to put down. The chapters of one character (Olivia) are written in verse and the author does an incredible job with it - even though these chapters are probably shorter than the others, I found I read them more slowly because I had to pause every few seconds to marvel at Rahman's genius (and simmer with a tad bit of jealousy, OK I admit it). Overall, I highly recommend this book. It is a sweet, warm and moving story about love, loss, grief, change and happiness. It keeps you well entertained with it’s many revelations along the way. I first read Yasmin’s short story in A Change is Gonna Come and really loved it so I was really looking forward to reading her debut book. So I knew as soon as I heard about this book that I would love it and it did not disappoint! Cara lost her father and the ability to walk due to a fatal car accident a few months ago. Her once friends have stopped visiting her, she doesn't attend school anymore, and her mum has become obsessively paranoid for her safety and cannot leave her side for more than six seconds.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment