276°
Posted 20 hours ago

A Certain Justice (Inspector Adam Dalgliesh Mystery)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

In a 1997 book review for The New York Times, Ben Mcintyre called the book "vintage James" and summarized it as "a book in which revenge is not quite sated and deserts are not always just. That may not be the most satisfying conclusion, but it contains a certain truth." [1] Adaptations [ edit ] James είναι εξαιρετική χαρακτηρογράφος. Το δευτέρο και τελευταίο στοιχείο που λάτρεψα στο μυθιστόρημα τούτο είναι η παρουσία του Λονδίνου, αλλά και άλλων Αγγλικών περιοχών. Οι περιγραφές τοπίων, αλλά και διάφορων κτηρίων τοου Βικτωριανού Λονδίνου με έστειλε στο παράδεισο. A Certain Justice is P.D. James at her strongest. In her first foray into the strange closed world of the Law Courts and the London legal community, she has created a fascinating tale of interwoven passion and terror. As each character leaps into unforgettable life, as each scene draws us forward into new complexities of plot, she proves yet again that no other writer can match her skill in combining the excitement of the classic detective story with the richness of a fine novel. In its subtle portrayal of morality and human behavior, A Certain Justice will stand alongside Devices and Desires and A Taste for Death as one of P.D. James's most important, accomplished and entertaining works. Brilliant criminal lawyer Venetia Aldridge secures the acquittal of a young man from the charge of murdering his aunt.

The book also explores the psyche of a pathological criminal, the moral dilemmas of the defence lawyer and the repercussions of a successful defence of a murderer on those who are alive, including the victim's survivors and the defence lawyer herself. It is also a comment on the limitations of the criminal justice system. Miskin and new recruit Tarrant impart the tragic news to Octavia, who gets defensive. The housekeeper confirms that both she and Garry were home all night. However, you also have James' impeccable writing, unexpected depths of some characters, several extremely well drawn episode characters (especially the victim), and some excellent set-pieces (the opening court scene being a true highlight). MY THOUGHTS: This is only my second PD James. I did not enjoy the first at all and was reluctant to read this. But it is faster paced and more intriguing than her book I read previously. She will not become one of my favourite authors. I find her a little predictable, and her writing style too formal for my liking. Even though I say this is faster paced than my previous read by this author, it is still slower than I like.

Dalgliesh won’t permit Miskin to treat Garry as a suspect. Edgar Froggart – a former teacher at Venetia’s father’s boys’ school – presents Dalgliesh with his copious notes on Venetia’s cases.

Please, somebody tell me that this is the worst book written by P. D. James, because if it isn't this one then people are even more gullible than I think. Richard Harrington (Hinterland) as Dr David Rollinson - a forensic biologist who worked on dozens of cases with Lorrimer A Certain Justice takes place in London, England. Commander Adam Dalgliesh, a high-ranking officer in the Metropolitan Police Service, works on the most sensitive cases. When he’s not resolving these unsolved cases, he writes poetry or spends time alone. It is a stressful job and he needs the time to unwind. Adam and Kate break Venetia’s death to her daughter Octavia and her boyfriend, who, it turns out, is Garry Ashe. Octavia is hostile, but to Adam and Kate’s frustration, both have an alibi for the time of the murder. Kate is furious, believing Garry is a psychopath and Octavia is in danger. He then finds Froggart, who, it turns out, was once a teacher at the school where Venetia’s father was headmaster. He has followed her career with admiration since, to the point of obsession with scrapbooks of press cuttings. He lets Dalgliesh take them to see if he can find anything to connect to the murder. Then Venetia is found murdered in Chambers, stabbed through the heart with a stiletto knife. I enjoyed this book the most because we knew Venetia's story before Adam Dalgleish, I have said before PD James's books can be difficult to follow but this made it easier.And yet, there's something even more fulfilling about reading a cheesy novel in the guise of literature. Sure, it may not be Doestoevsky, but it's an "intellectual activity" nonetheless (even if it's done on the beach while sipping iced tea). However, one big, noisy problem in this adaptation is the character of Gary Ashe, who is so much a part of this murder mystery. From the beginning with his trial to the determined seduction of Venetia's idiot student daughter Octavia and then moving in with her after her mother's murder, Ashe is there throughout. Although Ricci Harnett's portrayal is certainly sinister as the disturbed Ashe, his character is utterly unlikable. Indeed, it's incredible to think that Octavia (played by the lovely looking Flora Montgomery) would be so easily swept off her feet by this charmless nark just because he fakes a fall from his bike outside her place. Octavia is so dim that even when he starts displaying psychotic behaviour, such as pasting the walls with magazine cutouts or threatening a young lad with a knife, she still sees very little wrong with him. This mystery is quite enjoyable when he is off the screen, but when he is on it he ruins the whole mood of it, despite the fact his character is crucial in some ways to the plot. And sadly he dominates the last episode as he and Octavia ride off on his motorbike to search for his former childhood hideout, and along with some genuinely unpleasant moments he just emanates a grim and depressing mood on the whole adaptation. While much of this mystery is 1980's form, he is very much a 1998's product bulldozing his way through the production. All is revealed outside Ipswich on an island of reeds. Dalgliesh then confronts the barrister who murdered Venetia in revenge for the death of his brother by her father and her bullying of his son. However, he does this by a hypothetical hypothesis and as there is no evidence so he gets away with murder. Pawlett Court Chambers is the sort of setting we’ve come to expect from Dalgliesh –– archaic, picturesque, claustrophobic, and featuring an elite and insular set of characters/suspects, mostly at each others’ throats. There’s even a Chapel in the complex, a recurring feature for Dalgliesh, who’s drawn to places of worship. Dalgliesh, Miskin and Tarrant home in on Janet Carpenter as a suspect: many years ago, Venetia helped acquit a murderer called Anthony Beale who went on to kill Carpenter’s granddaughter.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment