276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Her Majesty’s Royal Coven: The magical SUNDAY TIMES number 1 bestseller and spellbinding start to a new fantasy series: Book 1 (HMRC)

£7.495£14.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

For Niamh it was a time in her life she enjoyed, being able to shape the next generation of Witches, but also a time of immense grief due to the loss of both her Fiancee and sister. They live and work among us they look just like us but they are witches, members of Her Majesty’s Royal Coven a secret organisation protecting us from the dark creatures of nature.

Her Majesty’s Royal Coven | Juno Dawson | 9780008478506 Her Majesty’s Royal Coven | Juno Dawson | 9780008478506

The launch book in a trilogy, the first half is largely world-building and the cliffhanger ending is pure torture. Whisperings of an apocalyptic prophecy foretell a “sullied child” with the capacity to destroy both the coven and the world. Her Majesty’s Royal Coven is a fast paced, well crafted page turner in which we get introduced to five friends who are witches - and ceremonially accorded their status when they’re tweens. The certain characters belief's had me steaming with rage, something I'm noticing more and more with fantasy these days and loving, but please beware going in that their thoughts and actions could be extremely triggering to some, but especially to any trans readers.Her writing is smart and witty, the dialogue reminiscent of gossip with a good friend, littered with nostalgic pop culture references: the bickering over who would be each Spice Girl becomes eerily significant. The premise doesn't really give away much of the story, which makes it so much more shocking and entertaining whilst reading, but does make it incredibly hard to talk about without giving away any spoilers.

Her Majesty’s Royal Coven by Juno Dawson review – sorcery

It’s the first time I’ve read anything by Juno and I’m thrilled to discover her writing…am very much looking forward to HMRC 2 … oh and the ending of book 1!

So when Helena asks Niamh to look after Theo (with budding magical - at times uncontrollable - traits) all goes well until Helena discovers unsettling prophecies which will bring about the apocalypse and means the witches are forced to act. Elle is a nurse who has largely eschewed the witching community for the comforts of middle-class mediocrity.

Her Majesty’s Royal Coven: The magical SUNDAY TIMES number 1

We see the people we grew up with become unrecognisable, put things into motion, dangerous things, because their way of life is threatened. Though there is plenty of romance in this book, both straight and queer, the main relationships Dawson showcases is that of family, both through blood and circumstance. Partially my fault because I had it in my head this was a stand alone, but I also just can't believe she went there. The following day, on the summer solstice, they will pledge their oaths to Gaia and Her Majesty’s Royal Coven, a top secret government department of witches founded by Anne Boleyn and charged with protecting the United Kingdom from magical forces and otherworldly evil.

A spellbinding, very real and current book that leaves you wanting to read everything Juno Dawson has ever written.

Her Majesty’s Royal Coven by Juno Dawson | Waterstones

Ok, so I know that was more than one question, but seriously the ending of this book just blew my mind. For all ebook purchases, you will be prompted to create an account or login with your existing HarperCollins username and password. Still recovering from the last war Niamh, Elle and Leonie lead their own lives, separate from the Coven, but Helena is quick to draw them back in when trouble rears it's head. But what Dawson does brilliantly is show that as children we are so sure that life will work out the way we want, we have blinders on to life, rose tinted glasses that make everything seem possible.Helena is the new leader of the HMRC and has set views on who should be allowed to join the coven, views that get tested and questioned throughout the novel. She's the Switzerland of the group, always trying to keep the peace and keep together her friend's who have slowly drifted apart. Now lead by Helena Vance, the Coven is at it's strongest ever which is good for a prophecy has arisen, one that could lead to the destruction of Witch kind forever. There are whisperings of a prophecy that will bring the coven to its knees, and four best friends are about to be caught at the centre.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment