276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Getting Rid of Matthew

£3.495£6.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

What to do if Matthew, your secret lover of the past four years, finally decides to leave his wife Sophie and their two daughters and move into your flat, just when you're thinking that you might not want him anymore... Ocr tesseract 5.0.0-alpha-20201231-10-g1236 Ocr_detected_lang en Ocr_detected_lang_conf 1.0000 Ocr_detected_script Latin Ocr_detected_script_conf 1.0000 Ocr_module_version 0.0.13 Ocr_parameters -l eng Old_pallet IA-NS-2000261 Openlibrary_edition I really enjoyed the first part of the book where the savage office relationship between Rebecca and Lorna is explored. Lorna is a hateful character, memorable, spiteful and with a fantastic turn in passive aggressive behaviour. I had the urge to throttle her, and, as far as I'm concerned, if an author makes you have a visceral reaction like that to a character then they are doing a fine job. In 2011, Foursome was nominated for the Melissa Nathan Award for Romantic Comedy Fiction and in 2018, Faking Friends was nominated in the popular fiction category of the National Book Awards. [7] [8] In 2019, it was longlisted for the Comedy Women in Print Prize. [9] In 2020 she was awarded an honorary fellowship of University College London. [4] Personal life [ edit ] Sharp, Rob (13 March 2010). "My secret life: Jane Fallon, author & TV producer, 49". Independent. London . Retrieved 11 August 2022.

I was given a copy for World Book Night and thought I would give it a go even though I don't usually read chic lit. It isn't badly written or anything, but I didn't like the characters, the storyline or the concept.. and I didn't find it funny. It just isn't my sense of humor but I know several people who think it was really good and amusing (presumably including the World Book Night Panel) so if you like this type of novel (funny chic lit) then its worth a go.

Q&A Asked about Getting Rid of Matthew

urn:lcp:gettingridofmatt0000fall_w4q7:epub:16b421be-ec38-4d91-a82e-bb03fd4136d6 Foldoutcount 0 Identifier gettingridofmatt0000fall_w4q7 Identifier-ark ark:/13960/t6s005b5j Invoice 1652 Isbn 9781846178801 Access-restricted-item true Addeddate 2021-05-07 19:00:43 Boxid IA40099209 Camera USB PTP Class Camera Collection_set printdisabled External-identifier My problems came when Rebecca decided that, rather than tell her bosses that Lorna was going through big personal issues that kept her from work (the normal way to deal with a work issue), she decides to perform a series of lies and charades to pretend that everything is fine with Lorna's performance. This just wouldn't happen, and I could not suspend my disbelief. At all. I found myself rolling my eyes at the behaviour of many of the characters. Here's a brief outline of the plot without giving too much away. Helen is approaching 40 and finds herself in a long-term affair with her boss Matthew, who is married and much older than her. Her previous novels have focussed on the wronged woman, but this book seems to change tact because the wronged woman in this story is actually the one we see least of all. I expected for Isabel to feature heavily in the book but she’s in only around 5 or 6 scenes in total, and even then not for very long. Therefore, while I sympathised with her I couldn’t necessarily feel much for her character. Fallon instead chooses to focus on Alex and Lorna in the book, and their relationship with Rebecca. This made for an interesting dynamic and shows us how hard it can be bringing a new person into an established friendship group.

When she was a teenager Jane attended Slough Convent School, where the highlight was the day one of the elderly nuns died and the whole school was compelled to line up two by two, to be shut in a room with the body for two minutes. The book made me laugh and gasp: "Oh, this is sooooo true!!" there are a few good twists and really funny moments, but the main twists are very, very far stretched... Recommended to anyone interested in reading a mature, original and ironic take on poorly-thought-out relationships, a drama story without the soap.

However, Helen is then stunned when Matthew finally decides to leave Sophie and moves into his flat - and it's at this point that Helen realises she no longer wants him . . .

If only she could have Matthew... not an odd weekends and couple hours here and there, but all to herself, so that the could be a family... My Secret Life: Jane Fallon, author & TV producer, 49". The Independent. 13 March 2010 . Retrieved 28 August 2014. It’s a rare humor book that’s laugh out loud funny, clever, and complex all at the same time. Humor is a difficult genre to write, especially since it’s easy to alienate readers who don’t share the same sense of humor as the writer, therefore unfortunately appealing to one type of reader instead of a variety of readers and often attracting heavy criticism. Getting Rid of Matthew by Jane Fallon is a joyously uncommon book that’s humor can be appreciated by a mass audience at the same time as it maintains the elusive ideal quality of any book that involves romance: unpredictability. Rebecca and Daniel, and Alex and Isabella were two couples who met in university. Their world is turned upside down when, after 20 years, Alex suddenly leaves Isabel and confesses his love for Rebecca. After Rebecca rejects him, Alex ends up dating Rebecca's workplace nemesis, Lorna. Rebecca and Daniel are happily married, and love their life together with their two children. They’ve known their best friends Alex and Isabel since they were at University and they’ve always done everything as a Foursome, from getting married to babies and even group holidays.Fallon gets her characters into situations that seem impossible to get out of, stretching the limits of the reader’s expectations constantly. I found myself saying, “I have no idea how she’s going to get out of this one” and, “I can’t believe that just happened!” many times throughout the novel. Any book that truly takes me by surprise is appreciated by me, but a book that continuously keeps me on my toes with absolutely no clue as to how the characters’ situations will resolve – or whether they will at all – is refreshingly brilliant.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment