276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Book of Night: The Number One Sunday Times Bestseller

£8.495£16.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The shadow magic in this book is hardly explained. Shadows can be cosmetically shaped, but they can also trigger emotions and give you powers? And somehow they’re linked to a person’s subconscious? There are a few attempts to add rules and structure to the magic system, but that is all tossed away whenever the plot needs shadows to do something different. The world is monotone and drab. I can’t even claim it had potential because it was so underdeveloped. I really hate to say this, but Book of Night felt like the first draft of a first outline. There were that many plot holes. At almost 2-weeks post-completing this novel, I will admit, I remember close to nothing about the plot. There were quite a few characters, but the only two I remember by name are Charlie and Vince. Initially, I wasn't sold on that past perspective, but eventually I did come to understand why it was important to the development of Charlie as a character. I also didn’t connect with any of the characters, although I did quite like Vince by the end of the book. I find it so hard to love a book when I don’t connect with the characters or care about what happens to them! I also found that there where a lot of side characters, who were briefly mentioned and then would be brought up again later. They had no stories or personalities, so it just felt like their were a load of names being thrown around. I just couldn’t remember who any of them were! By the end I almost gave up trying to decipher all of the side characters! That being said, if a sequel was written I would read it! The ending chapter was actually really good. It was abrupt but fascinating. If only the entire book was as good as the ending point!

A delicious, dark, adrenaline rush of a book. I'm already dying to see Charlie Hall's next con." - New York Times bestselling author, Alix E. Harrow Book of Night" is a dark, twisted, atmospheric and high-stakes Adult Fantasy Romance book which is probably the first instalment of a new series. But it definitely can be read as a standalone. The story is set in an urban setting. It's also a heist story.In Charlie Hall’s world, shadows can be altered, for entertainment and cosmetic preferences—but also to increase power and influence. You can alter someone’s feelings—and memories—but manipulating shadows has a cost, with the potential to take hours or days from your life. Your shadow holds all the parts of you that you want to keep hidden—a second self, standing just to your left, walking behind you into lit rooms. And sometimes, it has a life of its own. Love was a family religion, passed down to her when she'd been too young to protect herself from belief."

At this book hands down: Charlie and Vince were extremely likable characters! Charlie; a talented thief, still suffering from choices she’s made in the past, having low self esteem, thinking she doesn’t deserve anything good for her even though her new relationship with Vince is doomed to fail! She works as a bartender and helping out people at her spare times. Harry Bosch and the Lincoln Lawyer team up to exonerate a woman who’s already served five years for killing her ex-husband.There were so many side characters, I had trouble keeping them apart. They're all haphazardly introduced without any distinguishing characteristics that would make them unique or memorable. After a while, they all blur together. It feels like anytime something needed to be explained, a new character would be introduced along with a random digression, just to get the point across.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment