276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Blue: Beautifully written. . .a gripping page turner

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Dive into Lucy Clarke’s previous books, A Single Breath and Swimming at Night, for your next book club meetings. What common themes do you see in each, and how does The Blue seem different? The Blue will be co-produced for Paramount+ by VIS – the international studio division of Paramount – as part of the streamer’s wider strategy to greenlight 50 new international scripted series in 2022. An] intriguing tale of nautical misadventure... Clarke handles the joys, challenges, and chores of sailing with easy confidence and does just as fine a job with her misfit crew and their easily upset equilibrium." - Publishers Weekly Wish I was on a Yacht…sailing off yonder to some undisclosed location…with the beating sun on my body, and the cold refreshing aqua water swirling at my feet. Nice to dream!

Lucy Clarke (Author of One of the Girls) - Goodreads Lucy Clarke (Author of One of the Girls) - Goodreads

The story switches swiftly between Lana’s time on The Blue and the present, when she learns of the yacht’s accident. She thinks, “If [she] had known everything she does now, she wonders whether she’d ever have set foot on The Blue” (p. 39). What were your first guesses or inklings as to what had transpired within the crew after Lana’s departure?Overall then, a really great escapist read - I've had "A Single Breath" sat on my shelf for a while now, one of those books that fell accidentally into my basket on one particular shopping spree - and boy am I now moving that one up the pile.

Lucy Clarke Author Lucy Clarke Author

Despite all that, I nearly set this book aside a couple of times and, although I finished it, I found it unsatisfying, like a sponge cake that hasn't risen properly where knowing what it could have been only deepens your disappointment. Dark secrets play a huge role in this book, as well as in your previous novels, A Single Breath and Swimming at Night. What is your attraction to characters with secrets?The theme at the center of the book is friendship, which is one of the most overdone themes in literature. But with this one I really felt it. It made me question my own life and left me in that place of not having an answer to some of the questions at the heart of the story. Throughout the book, it made me want to drop everything and set out on adventure, a feeling that is particularly relevant for me given the move that is looming in my own life, even if it is to Ohio and not to the Philippines or New Zealand. The veiling of secrets and personalities play a pivotal role in The Blue. Have you ever had an experience where your first impression of someone changed as you got to know him or her better? Talk about your experience, and maybe even share your own first impressions of your fellow book club members. It's an adventure/drama set on a boat in and around the Philippines. There is a mystery that slowly unfolds, but, that's It. No real suspense, or chills and thrills. If that sounds like your kind of story - then I highly recommend It. I've read one of Lucy Clarke's books before -Castaways- which was pretty good. I found this one to be much better, with some great writing that -at times- made me feel like I was on the boat myself. Have you ever felt the need to escape to an exotic new place? Go around the room and talk about your own vision of paradise, and how you might be able to attain that in some small way in your everyday life. An] intriguing tale of nautical misadventure... Clarke handles the joys, challenges, and chores of sailing with easy confidence and does just as fine a job with her misfit crew and their easily upset equilibrium.”

The Blue by Lucy Clarke - AbeBooks The Blue by Lucy Clarke - AbeBooks

Lucy Clarke is the author of Swimming at Night and A Single Breath. She and her husband, a professional windsurfer, spend their winters traveling and their summers at their home on the south coast of England. Visit Lucy-Clarke.com. The Blue” is Lucy Clarke's third novel, but the first novel I have read by this author. In “The Blue”, the author writes about the power of friendship, when faced with many obstacles. The major relationship in this story is between Lana and her best friend Kitty. This novel is a mystery thriller that has it all; romance, mystery, adventure and intrigue. The seven characters in this book were very believable and all well developed. Everyone appears to be keeping a secret and no one is truthful about why they've come to The Blue. Who can you trust? The story is told mostly through Lana's point of view after she leaves the yacht, switching between the present, and her time on the yacht. I was drawn into the story because I had to know why Lana left the yacht, and left Kitty behind. The lead writer for the series is Kris Mrksa (White House Farm) and Hans Herbots (The Serpent, Cobra) is the lead director. Executive Producers for New Pictures are Elaine Pyke and Willow Grylls with Kris Mrksa.

When I hear CSN’s Southern Cross I always tear up. The Blue of the title of this book is a 50 ft. offshore sailing yacht. Had I the chance to join her crew when I was young, I’d have been off like a shot. Hell, I’d be already aboard even now if they’d have me. Even knowing how the voyage will end. This was a perfect read for the summer with all the descriptions of tropical paradises and life on the yacht. It was so idyllic that I completely understand why the crew were so desperate to keep their amazing lifestyle. I would love have been on The Blue too! The dual timelines were really effective at drawing me into the mysteries and let me become quite attached to some of the crew. Knowing that something awful was coming just ratcheted up the tension as I feared for my favorite characters. Right until the very end it wasn't clear what had happened and who would survive. I finished this book and my first thought was to immediately pass it on to my best friend. You know a book is good when you need to share it right away! I'm going to hunt down all Lucy Clarke's previous novels. Die Grundidee mit dem spannenden Setting auf einer Segelyacht fand ich klasse. Ich mag es, wenn eine Gruppe von unterschiedlichen Charakteren mit ihren ganz eigenen Geheimnissen auf engem Raum miteinander konfrontiert werden. Dies ist einfach ein perfekter Nährboden für Konflikte und psychologische Spielchen jeglicher Art.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment