276°
Posted 20 hours ago

One for Sorrow: The new heart-stopping, page-turning crime thriller for 2022 (Di Callanach, 7)

£4.495£8.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The book follows a serial bomber who seems to have a vendetta against the police&comp. The story is told in parallel timelines following both the search for the bomber and the story that led to the existence of the murderer. It was at no point predictable, even when you think you know whom it was, it isn't. This ARC was provided to me via Kindle, Harper360 and by #NetGalley. Opinions expressed are completely my own. Fields’ latest edge-of-the-seat story with its dark and tortuous plot sees Callanach and Turner on the trail of a lone bomber targeting victims across the city, but with every tip-off it becomes clear they are walking into a trap to kill them.

Fields continues ratcheting up the tension and suspense by drawing readers’ focus to things left unsaid throughout the novel. Most notably, the way she has interspliced Ava and Luc’s frantic present-day hunt for the bomber with the chronological revelation of historical events that led to the bombing spree. Clever writing indeed. It follows a police investigation into a bombing campaign that appears to be targeting first responders as well as individual victims. Being so well written and engaging, the book drew me right into the action - and there's plenty of it. I did gasp out loud several times at the turns the plot took.

Publication Order of Helen Sarah Fields Standalone Novels

This series is at its best when Ava and Luc are working closely together, with high threat levels, racing against time to prevent the next major crime, and this book delivers. We can’t take on any more patients. It was forced on us as we struggled to give good treatment to the ones we had’: Family doctor speaks out on pressure facing practices in Scotland There is no question that Luc Callanach is good at what he does. It’s his job to solve crimes for a living. He’s assigned to cases and it is his professional responsibility to make sure that missing persons or murders or unusual deaths are investigated and hopefully ultimately wrapped up neatly and solved– although someone in his position usually knows all too well that this is not the case. This book is thrilling and heartbreaking in equal measure and massive changes happen that will have profound impact on the books that follow. This is Helen Fields’ END GAME and once the dust has settled we’re going to have to deal with the fall-out. I love great storytelling in a mystery/procedural, mysteries can be strong examples of quality writing and character developing and this is a nice example of what I look for in a strong, "I will recommend this", mystery.

A bomber is wreaking havoc on the city of Edinburgh. MIT detectives Luc and Ava are a formidable and robust duo, tasked with bringing the reign of terror to a close. Helen Fields never disappoints me. From the beginning of this series to Book #7, she sends us on a rollercoaster ride, that we may never wake up from. One of their own is murdered and that sends them on a trail that even DCI Ava Turner and Luc Callanach never thought they would encounter in their careers. The killer is sending them messages, where and when he or she will kill next. This is personal, and Ava and Luc will leave no stone unturned! Even if it kills them!

A copy of this book was provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.** But with the threat – and body count – rising daily, and no clue as to who’s behind it, neither Ava nor Luc know whether they will live long enough to tell the tale… Feel free to invite some friends to join our Round Table community!http://www.goodreads.com/group/invite_members/26989-goodreads-authors-readers One For Sorrow is the seventh book in what is referred to as the DI Luc Callanach series set in Edinburgh, but the main protagonist here is DCI Ava Turner with Luc in a supporting role. I’ve read the last couple but they all work fine as stand-alones. I moved this up my ARC queue because every time I saw the title on my reading list, I’d get the poppy song of the same name by British 90s band Steps in my head and it’s been driving me crazy. I had forgotten how dark and twisted this author’s books are, or I might’ve delayed it, and this one was equally grim yet compelling, with a high body count.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment