276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Eagle in the Snow: The Classic Bestseller

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

She was talking about me much as Grandpa might talk about the marrows in his allotment, on and on, but with the same pride and joy, so I didn’t mind too much. With discipline, deception, persuasion, and surprise, Maximus holds the line against an increasingly desperate and innumerable foe. Friends, allies, and even enemies urge Maximus to proclaim himself emperor. He refuses, bound by an oath of duty, honor, and sacrifice to Rome, a city he has never seen. But then circumstance intervenes. Now, Maximus will accept the purple robe of emperor, if his scrappy legion can deliver this last crucial victory against insurmountable odds. The very fate of Rome hangs in the balance. En su contra, cuesta arrancar y adaptarse al estilo de Breem, el primer tercio se nos cuenta parte del camino del protagonista, necesario hasta cierto punto para conocerle mejor, pero creo que se invierten demasiadas páginas en una historia que no es demasiado interesante hasta que no alcanza las fronteras del Rin.

And it could've also been that one of the other soldiers he saved was one who smuggled Jewish ppl out of Germany during the war and or was in a resistant group and fought against Hitler.. and that would've also been thanks to him.. oh man.. we will never really know how or what happened and how exactly it influenced the course of history.. but I feel sorry for him to only be remembered as the one who didn't shoot Hitler.. I am by no means a regular reader of historical fiction, but whatever genre you want to file EAGLE IN THE SNOW under, it's an absolute masterpiece: a gripping and terrifying story told in prose that is literary and beautiful but never flowery. As the Roman Empire is crumbling in the early Fifth Century, a Legion is sent to try to hold the Rhine during a bitter winter, and keep the massing barbarian tribes from crossing. The tribes are waiting for the Rhine to freeze over. As Stephen Pressfield's Introduction points out, this book doesn't read like a historical novel, it reads like an account written at the time: the details and sense of place are fantastic but never take the reader out of the story, and the interior monologues are shot through with the beauty and stoicism of Marcus Aurelius's MEDITATIONS. Count me now among the raving fans of this book. Incredible. There are some good one liners here and there for the most part the banter is good. Especially between the bishop and Maximus I really enjoyed their discussions. I just wanted more. I wanted more resolution. The children responded well to Morpurgo’s story, “not because it was a good story but because it was mine and I was telling it with even more passion than usual.”

This moving book giving us a front-row seat to events from 407-409 during the struggles of trying to hold walls and land whilst Germans mount their brutal offense is brilliant on all "fronts." Even the soap operas that they see on television are full of domestic strife. At least one third of children in the UK are from split families. So you can’t serve up stories about Janet and John and their nice little dog, saying that the world is sweet. As we grow up, we all have to confront the uncomfortable things in life like death and loss.” El otrora todopoderoso Imperio romano se encuentra en sus años finales. Perdida la virtud y la potencia militar que lo hicieron grande, gobernado por meras sombras de los gigantes de antaño y acosado en todas las fronteras por hordas de feroces bárbaros, tan sólo un hombre se interpone entre Roma y su casi segura destrucción: el veterano general Paulino Gayo Máximo. Curtido en las duras batallas ante el Muro de Adriano, Máximo comanda la legión encargada de defender la peligrosa frontera del Rin. Más allá del río, naciones enteras afilan sus armas, acuciadas por el hambre y los sueños de la riqueza del Imperio. La esperanza de la victoria hace mucho tiempo que se perdió y a Máximo sólo le queda retrasar la inevitable derrota; sólo le queda vivir con honor y morir con la espada en la mano. Wallace Breem is clearly a knowledgeable person with great writing ability. This story was absolutely gripping. I loved the feel throughout the whole thing, as the dread built and built before finally breaking. Breem is a great writer, and I wish more people knew about this book. It should absolutely be a classic in the genre. I had just come off reading Colleen McCullough’s wonderful First Man In Rome, thinking this was going to be an entertaining little book, but not imagining I would love it nearly just as much. The books are totally different, but about equally as good. Bien plus qu’une biographie qui relate les actes héroïques sans égal de ce simple soldat britannique, Michael Morpurgo a voulu comprendre pourquoi il avait fait ce qu’il avait fait. Se fondant sur la vie bien réelle d’Henry Tandey, il a écrit une fiction qui dépasse sa propre expérience dans laquelle il explore la nature du courage et le dilemme devant lequel chacun d’entre nous nous trouvons lorsque l’on découvre qu’une de nos actions, qui nous paraissait juste, se révèle être la pire que nous ayons jamais commise.

But this stranger was neat, and there was nothing neat about my grandpa. My grandpa was a scarecrow, with his hair always tousled—what there was of it—his hands and face grimy from delivering his coal, and that was after he had washed. This stranger had clean hands, and clean nails too, as well looked after as the rest of him. For more information about the work of Farms for City Children, please visit www.farmsforcitychildren.org Henry Tandey said in some press interview: "I didn't like to shoot a wounded man, but if I'd known who this corporal would turn out to be, I'd give ten years now to have five minutes' clairvoyance then." Morpurgo doesn’t think that screens are going to take over from the printed word. “When ebooks came in, everyone thought there would be no (hard copy) books anymore. The ebook rose and rose — and then it flattened and it’s going down again. We are fascinated by the new.”

Ya sabéis cómo acaba la cosa, ¿no? Entonces nos queda disfrutar de la ambientación, de la forma de narrar y de los personajes. Cine poate cataloga o fapta ca fiind corecta sau incorecta? Este suficienta ratiunea? Cum ramane cu empatia? Research, whoa loads of that going on around here. I can imagine the work that went into framing this novel bit by bit and I'm sure Mr Breem pulled out a fair amount of hairs in his writing of it. He did a great job in that regard and I applaud him for it. Desi a fost o lectura usoara, scriitura m-a emotionat indeajuns incat sa ma faca sa empatizez cu Billy si cu remuscarile lui, dar m-a lasat si cu multe semne de intrebare, al caror raspuns sigur nu il voi afla niciodata.

La ambientación soberbia. Lo grueso de la trama se desarrolla en diciembre, con nieve y frio para aburrir (el título del libro ya lo dice) y realmente nos mete el libro en faena. La angustia de la defensa en inferioridad de condiciones, el sufrimiento, el orgullo, el valor o la cobardía, las lealtades y las traiciones, las penalidades y los sentimientos de los personajes, de la legión XX en su conjunto …eso es lo que más vale, ahí se lleva las cinco estrellas y eso es lo que hace a este libro algo digno de ser leído. In iarna anului 1940, un tren ce se indrepta catre Londra a fost atacat de raidul aerian al trupelor germane, mecanicul locomotivei fiind obligat sa adaposteasca trenul intr-un tunel, pentru a salva viata calatorilor.

LoveReading4Kids Says

Everything about him was neat, I noticed that at once, from his highly polished shoes to his trim mustache and his collar and tie. I decided right away that he didn’t look like the sort of man who would pinch Ma’s suitcase. There was also something about him that I thought I recognized; I had the feeling I might have seen him before. Maybe I hadn’t. Maybe it was just because he seemed about the same age as Grandpa, with the same searching look in his eye. The Eagle in the Snow by Wallace Beem really is The Little Book That Could. This is a historical “last stand” sort of novel taking place in the Waning years of the Western Roman Empire. The book revolves around General Maxiumus, a Roman General around the year 400 AD stationed high along Hadrian’s Wall in Brittania. Maximus is a true Roman who has never seen Rome, but he remains true to the Emperor of this period, Honorius (a despicable Emperor that played no small role in the weakening of Rome around this period), and his General Stilicho (one of the absolute greatest figures from Roman history). Despite growing reality of major barbarian incursion along the Wall, Maximus gets news from Stilicho that he is being moved to an area of even more importance: the Rhine River, where Germanic tribesman are amassing on the East bank of the River in terrifying strength, and they plan on crossing into Gaul and carving out some of Rome’s land for themselves. For now, the mighty Rhine keeps them at bay, but winter is coming and what will happen if it freezes over? I am not a fan of war novels being in the first person. Not even a little bit, not even at all. Because everything that takes place is either viewed through the lens of the main and if that main character has the optics of a naked mole rat you get eff all for battle descriptions, or you get the battle descriptions via word of mouth from the grape vine. And let's face it the grape vine is garbage when it comes to details, I'd give better details if my foot was crushed by a camel while I was having a wee and giving directions to the local bakery. And I have no idea why in the hell a camel was in NM of all places, or why it stepped on me while I was having a wee. Intr-un compartiment, Barney, impreuna cu mama sa, asculta o poveste spusa de un strain ce le era companion pe toata durata calatoriei, pentru a face timpul sa treaca mai usor si pentru a il ajuta pe Barney sa isi infranga teama de intuneric. travers l’histoire incroyable et stupéfiante de Billy Byron, Michael Morpurgo illustre la très scientifique « théorie du chaos ». Il montre aux plus jeunes qu’il suffit parfois d'un rien, d'un chouïa, d'une relation causale infime pour que tel phénomène, inattendu, surgisse tandis qu'on ne l'attendait pas et inversement, pour que telle situation se profile alors qu'elle n'était aucunement escomptée.

So to this book: I cried. I literally cried.. and more than once. It's just so so unfair and sad and there's all this cruelty.. and unnecessary violence and death.. but you are helpless and you can do nothing about it.. it is what it is and you can't change the course of history.. it's devastating.. Michael's books have been translated into many languages including Chinese, Bulgarian and Hungarian, Hebrew and Japanese. He travels all over the UK and abroad talking to people of all ages at literary festivals, telling his stories and encouraging them to tell theirs. Aunque he terminado con buen sabor de boca esta novela, la primera parte me ha costado bastante pillarle el ritmo e incluso he llegado a plantearme el abandonarla, pero como soy cabezón, le he dado una oportunidad y lo cierto es que a partir de la mitad mejora bastante y termina siendo bastante entretenida.There are funny things in it and we’ve got to laugh from time to time, but if you are trying to convince them that that’s how life is going to be, then you’re just going to create disappointed children.” His cousin Julian was brought up by his own parents as Julian's were forced to commit suicide by a usurping Roman Emperor. Julian also grows up to be a soldier, but at this point the cousins' paths diverge. Maximus and Julian represent two sides of a Roman coin - on one side is Maximus: the Empire, staunch, disciplined, loyal and forever Roman. On the other side is Julian: the Empire in decline, resentful, living-on-the-fringe, and consumed by hatred. His latest book, An Eagle in the Snow, is a gripping account of a man who had the opportunity to kill Hitler but failed to do so. It combines history with a great yarn. Vintage Morpurgo. Breem paints a very detailed and accurate picture of life in Maximus' world. This historical novel is as solid in its history as documentation and archaeology allowed in the late `60s, and the liberties taken seem to be few and forgivable. He draws a very vivid exposition of existence at the ends of the Roman earth. He elicits emotion through the subtle interplay between characters and through Maximus' monologue. A son and grandson of actors, Michael has acting in his blood and enjoys collaborating and performing live adaptations of his books at festivals, concerts and theatres.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment