276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Live Wire: 10 (Myron Bolitar)

£4.105£8.21Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I was really excited to read this book. I have previously read Eagleman’s ‘The Brain’ and enjoyed his TV show in the same subject. Since first learning of plasticity during neurophysiology lectures at university I have been fascinated by the brain’s ability to adapt. With masterful storytelling, lucid analogies and thought-provoking new ideas, "Livewired" is a mind-expanding masterpiece of popular science. It's also one of the most hopeful books I've ever read, particularly needful in these uncertain times. Read it to renew your faith in not just the human spirit, but also to appreciate the gifts of your own miraculous brain. Livewired is framed as a series of fascinating sketches about "things the brain can do." The author seems most eager to point out ways that our current understanding of the brain could lead to wild, sci-fi futures. For example, the brain can successfully navigate a changing body and environment, so why can't our things do the same? Why can't our house adjust to our needs automatically? Same with our cars, our businesses, our cities. Ideas like these are radically out there, but also seem quite plausible in the author's capable hands.

Live Wire - Harlan Coben

Ripa claims to have written all of this herself (doubtful, she probably had a really good editor that wasn't willing to cut out all the dull stuff because there would be such a short manuscript left). And Kelly insists it's a "book of essays" instead of a "memoir," but really it's mostly inconsequential verbosity that I highly suspect is meant to cover up for the real secrets that she keeps carefully hidden within. Or as the Jersey girl might want to call it--it's verbal vomit. I say this with surprise because I’ve always felt rather ambivalent about Ms. Ripa. I’ve never disliked her, but aside from occasionally enjoying her on the various incarnations of Live over the years, she’s never evoked strong feelings from me either way. New York Times bestselling author Harlan Coben proves once again that "nobody writes them better"* in a thriller that asks a provocative question: As for it being one of the most important books of the decade... it really isn’t. Plasticity has been known about for a long time and none of the information in the book was more than I learnt in my undergraduate degree. Having said that it is interesting and David Eagleman does make it easy to understand. livewired”(живо-свързан). Мозъкът ни се променя посоянно — той е адаптируема, жива, информационно-търсеща система. Изключителното на тази система е не в уникалността на частите й, а в начина, по който тези части си взаимодействат. Тя е динамична, жива електрическа вечнопроменяща се и самоконфигурираща се тъкан/мрежа.Eagleman writes at a level that is easy for the average layperson to understand and he relies on anecdotes and case studies to aid the reader. Instead, she talks about her marriage and family and plastic surgery and meeting Richard Gere at a random party. I kept waiting for her to get to the "good part" and she never did. Livewired is a deep, occasionally repetitive examination of brain plasticity. The author reads the audiobook and you can tell that he's profoundly excited by all this science. Reading a text copy, I might have become bogged down in the neurons, synapses, and other brain ephemera. Kitty Hammer Bolitar: Myron's sister-in-law who was a tennis rival of Suzze T's when both were in their teens.

Library • Livewire

Also missing from this book was Kelly's "short story" about the unprofessional and self-centered stunt that she pulled in 2016 when she "went missing" from Live after her former co-host Michael Strahan announced he was moving to Good Morning America. Livewired" is the catchy term David Eagleman has coined to describe the miraculous ability of the brain to adapt in concert with its environment and make sense of the world. With fluid prose and crystal-clear analogies, Eagleman explains the function of the cerebral cortex as a general computing machine that can take any kind of input from environmental sensors — e.g. the light sensors in your eye, the air-pressure sensors in your ear, or vibrations from a wrist band — and turn it into meaning. I thought she was going to talk about her experience on the show. Nope. She mostly focused on her life before she got the "Live with Regis and Kelly" hosting gig and a little bit about her first few months there, but NOTHING ELSE. We know her from the show so to leave it out nearly completely was a very bizarre, intentional and glaring omission. Ripa and her husband ventured into the development side of entertainment when they began their NY-based production company, Milojo Productions. Milojo produces and creates content across multiple platforms, working with Bravo, Logo, VH1, E!, CMT, HGTV, WeTV, TLC, Oxygen, ABC Signature, Hulu and Discovery. Additionally, Milojo produced Emmy®-nominated documentary The Streak for ESPN and critically-acclaimed documentary Off The Rez for TLC.I guess if you're a super fan, you may care a lot more about college visits with her kids and the time she took half of a Xanax before a speech, but for the rest of us? This book is a swing and a miss. Esperanza Diaz: former FLOW (Fabulous Ladies Of Wrestling) professional wrestler under the name Little Pocahontas; she is a partner at MB Reps (as of the novel Darkest Fear) and is Myron's closest friend.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment