276°
Posted 20 hours ago

All the Things We Never Said

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Tags: Childhood Friends' Relationship, Dysfunctional Family, Infidelity, Social Commentary, Death, Murder, Prostitution, Friendship (Vote or add tags) Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with an advance reading copy in exchange for an honest review!

However, I did really love the way Olivia’s character was written. From an outside perspective, Mehreen and Cara observe how Olivia isn’t someone who looks depressed. She’s incredibly chirpy for someone who makes a suicide pact with two strangers she hardly knows. But on the inside, when we read from her point of view, we see a completely different story. This, for me, was one of the most important aspects of the novel, stressing that you really don’t know what someone else is going through. This debut novel is an absolute triumph in voice and style - each of the 3 POV characters are so fully realized, you will feel like you've known them your entire life and will not want to let them go. We also see bits of the girl's family or especially their mothers. Their relationship with them and how their mother's have their own problems but they too deal with it differently. The way they communicate or trying to help their daughters are too different. It is honestly heartbreaking because we all know our mothers try their best to be the absolute best for their children but they too have their flaws.

Rate And Review

Three suicidal teens find reasons to live when they develop friendships while preparing for their ends. The friendship in this book was also a really strong aspect. It wasn’t a perfect friendship, but when it mattered most, they were there for each other and they helped each other and I really loved that. I loved their friendship but I also loved each character individually. Mehreen was kind and gentle, but struggled with her ‘chaos’, Cara was blunt and angry and struggled to cope with her father’s death, and Olivia, whose life seemed so perfect but was far from it. I also really enjoyed how each POV was written, I liked how when Mehreen’s chaos was present, the font turned aggressive and bold and I really loved how Olivia’s POV was written in verse (I really love verse). This book had me sobbing by the end of the first chapter. I had never read a story where the mental health rep so completely accurate to mine and reading it felt like I had finally been seen, that someone else really understood everything that goes through my head. I have related to other characters in other books but there has never been a rep where the characters religious beliefs also influences how they feel. This book finally incorporated all aspects of my life. My name is Panos Kotzathanasis and I am Greek. Being a fan of Asian cinema and especially of Chinese kung fu and Japanese samurai movies since I was a little kid, I cultivated that love during my adolescence, to extend to the whole of SE Asia. I first read Yasmin’s short story in A Change is Gonna Come and really loved it so I was really looking forward to reading her debut book. So I knew as soon as I heard about this book that I would love it and it did not disappoint!

It's an interesting concept and all three girls personalities were so different and yet worked well as they grew together. It's also super diverse. Mehreen, arguably the main character of the three, is a British Muslim with anxiety and depression. There's also a wheelchair user and a survivor of sexual assault. it's all about the power of friendship between them, about love and grief and healing, and it really shows just how much strength it takes to fight with yourself every day and keep going. It seems like a miracle when they sign their lives away to 'mementomori.com'; it seems like their fantasies of escaping this world can finally become an actuality. Book Genre: Contemporary, Disability, Fiction, Health, LGBT, Mental Health, Mental Illness, Mystery, Thriller, Young Adult, Young Adult Contemporary

Anxiety and depression are illnesses, right? Not everyone accepts that, but it's scientifically correct. So anxiety is making you feel like this and depression is making you want to do this. The thing with mental illness is that it dominates your mind, pushes out everything that was originally there. So you could argue that it's not you making this decision, it's the anxiety and depression. Or your 'Chaos'." But when they realise suicide isn't the only option- it isn't the right option, the course of their lives begin to change. But what can you do if you've already signed your life away? More than anything, I loved her unwavering relationship with her faith. The novel begins with her standing in prayer and really captures how peaceful the act is for many Muslims. This feeling of tranquillity juxtaposed with Mehreen’s Chaos was a particularly powerful image. I also loved the conflict she faced in justifying suicide when it goes against the teachings of Islam.

Ok, the characters are chefs kiss! I loved each and every one of them, and their bravery and courage just made me feel more attached to each of them. Cara lost her father and the ability to walk due to a fatal car accident a few months ago. Her once friends have stopped visiting her, she doesn't attend school anymore, and her mum has become obsessively paranoid for her safety and cannot leave her side for more than six seconds. All The Things We Never Said is another mental health awareness book that is important to be read by everyone to understand the issues and someone we can help, or to know we are not going through it alone.

About Yasmin Rahman

Weekend Box Office Results: Five Nights at Freddy’s Scores Monster Opening Link to Weekend Box Office Results: Five Nights at Freddy’s Scores Monster Opening it felt like the most melodramatic thing that could’ve happened, the blue whale game meets people who aren’t actually suicidal. The very important thing I learned about this book is don’t be scared to voice out. Just find your voice. Be brave and do what you gotta do. This is an extremely dark story about three girls – Mehreen, Cara and Olivia – that shines a light on the power of friendship. Although the story is narrated in multiple perspectives, Mehreen ultimately feels like the main protagonist of the novel and, unsurprisingly, it was Mehreen’s character that I related to the most.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment