276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Alf

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

a b "BPI Awards – Certified Awards Search". Archived from the original on 9 September 2017 . Retrieved 8 March 2018. Type "Yazoo" into "Search BPI Awards" box and press "Enter". Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. St Ives, NSW: Australian Chart Book. ISBN 978-0-646-11917-5.

a b c d e f g h "BPI Certification". British Phonographic Industry. Archived from the original on 27 June 2019 . Retrieved 5 June 2016. The band's songs have appeared in a number of films and television shows. In 1988, "In My Room", "Ode to Boy" and "Only You" were used in the film The Chocolate War (an adaption of the book of the same title). "Only You" was used in the film Napoleon Dynamite, the BBC television series The Office, the film Can't Hardly Wait, the Fringe episode " Transilience Thought Unifier Model-11", The Americans episode "Dimebag" and several episodes of "Once Upon a Time" [Season 5]. A cover version of "Only You" by Joshua Radin was used in 2007 in a J. C. Penney commercial. Another cover of "Only You" was recorded by Selena Gomez for the 2017 Netflix television show 13 Reasons Why. "Don't Go" appeared in the BBC series I'm Alan Partridge and was used in the film Tango and Cash. The song "Situation" was used in the 1990 TV movie Exile and was also used in a Nintendo commercial highlighting the classic edition of the Game Boy Advance SP and the NES games ported to it. In 2007, "Bring Your Love Down (Didn't I)" was used in The Sarah Silverman Program episode " Not Without My Daughter". [ citation needed] Downey, Pat; Albert, George; Hoffman, Frank (1994). Cash Box Pop Singles Charts, 1950-1993. Englewood, Colorado: Libraries Unlimited, Inc. p. 240. ISBN 1563083167 . Retrieved 23 March 2023. Murray, Robin (2 January 2010). "Personality Clash: Vince Clarke vs Andy Butler". Clash . Retrieved 26 January 2014.

Reviews

a b "British album certifications – Alison Moyet – Alf". British Phonographic Industry. 27 February 1987 . Retrieved 6 September 2021. The Insects’ arrangements provide the perfect cradle for Moyet’s talents, from the heartstring tugging model of restraint that is Should I Feel That It’s Over to the sly groove of chilled electronicatinged More. Alison Moyet to Release Deluxe Editions of Hometime, Voice, and The Turn". Alisonmoyet.com. 30 July 2015 . Retrieved 6 August 2015. At the age of 20, Moyet's mainstream pop career began in 1982 with the formation of the synthpop duo Yazoo with former Depeche Mode member Vince Clarke. In the United States, the band operated under the name Yaz, due to trademark issues with the Yazoo Records record label already operating in the region. Yazoo had several hits, including " Only You", " Don't Go", " Situation" and " Nobody's Diary", and recorded two albums, Upstairs at Eric's and You and Me Both. The songs themselves are played pretty straight, from the wistful Windmills Of Your Mind to the gentle Gershwin standard The Man I Love.

While her previous albums had their share of hit singles, the 7” releases from Hoodoo all tanked, unfairly tarnishing its attendant LP as an experiment too far. Now over 30 years down the line, the record stands up remarkably well. Moyet’s instincts were proved correct. The lead single " Love Resurrection" preceded the album. It was released in June 1984 and had reached No. 10 in the UK, also becoming successful across Europe and beyond. The second single " All Cried Out" was met with similar success when released in September 1984. It reached No. 8 in the UK. " Invisible", the third single, was released in November 1984 and reached No. 21 in the UK. In the US, it became Moyet's highest-charting single, reaching No. 31. In October 1985, " For You Only" was released as the fourth and final single from the album. [9] When CBS first suggested releasing a fourth single, Moyet spoke against the idea and suggested she record a cover of " That Ole Devil Called Love" to give fans something new. Her version of the song was then recorded and released in March 1985, becoming a big hit, including in the UK where it reached No. 2. Despite this, CBS later decided to release "For You Only" as a single but in Europe and the US only. For its release as a single, "For You Only" was remixed and partially re-recorded to create a new version. [10] [11] The song was a success in Germany, peaking at No. 7 in late 1985. [12]On 14 October 2014, Moyet was presented with a Gold Badge Award by professional music writers association The Ivors Academy. [33] Classifiche". Musica e dischi (in Italian). Set "Tipo" on "Singoli". Then, in the "Artista" field, search "Alison Moyet". Brankin, Una (28 May 2013). "A confident Alison Moyet is beating her demons". Belfast Telegraph . Retrieved 4 November 2018. Album review | Alison Moyet: 'Alf', 'Raindancing', 'Hoodoo' & 'Essex' Deluxe Editions". Attitude. 25 November 2016 . Retrieved 1 April 2017. Walking Down Madison" and "Head" (Live at Shepherd's Bush Empire, from 'A Concert For Kirsty MacColl'), 2013.

B-sides Hitch Hike (with Darts) and Baby I Do are present and correct as are the single and ‘Jazz Version’ of non-album 45 That Ole Devil Called Love. The B-side to that single also features in standard and extended versions. The first live album of Moyet’s career, the proliferation of material culled from The Minutes proves just how much confidence the singer had in her eighth studio LP. Upstairs at Eric's was released in the UK in August 1982, peaking at number two on the UK Albums Chart [10] and going on to sell more than 300,000 copies and achieving platinum status. [25] In the US, initial success was more modest and the album peaked at number 92 on the Billboard 200 album chart, [26] but by 1989, seven years after its release, word of mouth had helped to push the album to platinum status for sales of over one million copies. [27] The duo played 24 dates in support of the album across Europe and North America. Yazoo enjoyed worldwide success, but were particularly popular in their home country, where three of their four singles reached the top three of the UK Singles Chart and both their albums made the top two of the UK Albums Chart. [10] In North America, they are known for the song " Situation", which, though originally only a B-side in the United Kingdom, was a club and airplay success in the United States and Canada before being released as the band's debut single in North America.Top 100 Albums (January 5–December 28, 1985)" (PDF). Music Week. 18 January 1986. p.11. ISSN 0265-1548– via World Radio History. a b c d e f g Roberts, David, ed. (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19thed.). London, England: Guinness World Records Ltd. p.613. ISBN 978-1-904994-10-7. Two Elvis Costello reboots stand out – the Chet Baker tribute Almost Blue and God Give Me Strength, a top-drawer collaboration between Costello and Burt Bacharach. Moyet rolls her r’s wonderfully on Je Crois Entendre Encore but the archaic folk of The Wraggle- Taggle Gypsies-O! and Dido’s Lament: When I Am Laid In Earth, while both authentic enough, seem a bit of a stretch. The sharp change of pace for album closer A Guy Like You– a twinkling pop tune about a lothario lover – only goes to underline the idea that The Turn often feels like two projects crammed into one place. Clarke had seen Moyet sing live a few times, as his best friend had been in her punk band. [12] Aware of her vocal abilities, he was looking for someone to sing on a demo of a song he had written called " Only You". Clarke was worried that by walking out of Depeche Mode he would lose his record deal with Mute Records and wanted to show the label that he still had something to offer them, saying in a 2008 interview, "When I left Depeche I wasn't sure I'd still have a record deal and was keen to play the label something of my own, so I wrote the song 'Only You' but needed someone to demo it with. Alison happened to be advertising in a local paper so I called her." [13]

ALISON MOYET | full Official Chart History | Official Charts Company". Officialcharts.com . Retrieved 22 May 2016. Chin, Brian (2 November 1985). "Moyet Content With 'Alf's' Notice on European Charts". Billboard. Vol.97, no.44. p.48. ISSN 0006-2510– via Google Books. While it may have been written and laid down in a musical vacuum, you can imagine her old sparring partner Vince Clarke could have been at the controls for the melodic Love Reign Supreme or Yazoo-like ballad Filigree. Her worldwide album sales have reached a certified 23million, with over two million singles sold. All nine of her studio albums and three compilation albums have charted in the top 30 of the UK Albums Chart, with two of them reaching number one. She has also achieved nine top 30 singles and six top 10 hits on the UK Singles Chart. [1] Her most recent album, her ninth, Other, was released 16 June 2017. [2] Early life [ edit ]

Classic Pop Readers' Awards 2017". Archived from the original on 9 July 2021 . Retrieved 7 July 2021.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment