276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Polar Bear Explorers' Club: Alex Bell: 1 (The Explorers' Clubs)

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Without her ice tiara she's powerless, but her guardian Felix and polar bear Gruff save the day -- and her. She makes it inside the Club and Felix won't let her out again, not until he can bring the witch that killed Stella's parents to justice. Not one to learn from past experience, Alex started the Legal Practice Course in London. There she met some great people and had a lot of fun messing about during lessons that were clearly meant to be extremely solemn affairs. Thankfully, she dropped out just before the point where all students must submit to the personality-removing process that is a compulsory part of being an esteemed member of the legal profession.

Oh, my dear one, never make decisions out of a place of fear. Nothing good ever comes from that, trust me. Our bonds of love and friendship with other people are not always as simple or as straightforward as we would like them to be, but that doesn’t mean they’re not worth it, warts and all. We must fight for our loved ones with everything that we have and, yes, sometimes that means pushing through the fear of being rejected, or looking foolish, or getting hurt, or having our hearts broken.“ It sounded like a respectable and worthy enough death for an explorer – tumbling from an ice bridge to be impaled upon a mammoth tusk – but Stella really, really didn’t want that to happen, just the same. I really enjoyed the book. I liked the different characters within the book and their different personalities.

The witch is probably living on Witch Mountain, from which no explorer has ever returned. So Felix works through officials channels first -- but official channels move ex-tr-em-el-y s-l-o-w-l-y and his requests for justice get bandied from one bureaucrat to another. There was nothing I wanted to change about the book; however I would like it if there was a sequel! I enjoyed the first installment immensely (Krysta did not, and you can read her review here), and my assessment of The Forbidden Expedition is nearly the same. The premises are actually somewhat similar, in that protagonist Stella and company go on a journey in icy unexplored territory that many people think they should not go on because it’s too dangerous. This book, however, introduces witches, which were not prominent in book one. Viele originelle Ideen und eine sehr abwechslungsreiche Handlung ergeben hier wieder eine spannende Geschichte; sogar einige kleine gruselige Momente gab es, und ich bin mit der kleinen Reisegemeinschaft wieder sehr zusammengewachsen. Auch gibt es wieder eine neue Aufgabe, die sie zu bewerkstelligen haben - und somit freu ich mich schon sehr auf den nächsten Band!

Join Stella Starflake Pearl and her three fellow explorers as they trek across the snowy Icelands and come face-to-face with frost fairies, snow queens, outlaw hideouts, unicorns, pygmy dinosaurs and carnivorous cabbages . . .

To that end she eagerly started a Law Degree only to find it so boring that she was at a very real risk of going completely insane. To mitigate this she started writing again. The second book got her an agent with Carolyn Whitaker of London Independent Books but, unfortunately, not a publisher. The third book, written during her first summer holidays off from university, found a home with Gollancz. The Ninth Circle came out in April 2008 with possibly the most beautiful cover ever created (matched only by her second book, Jasmyn).

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment