276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Greenfeast: Spring, Summer (Cloth-covered, flexible binding): The Sunday Times bestselling seasonal vegetarian cookbook with delicious and healthy plant-based recipes

£12£24.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Nigel Slater's Toast, the stage play of his much loved memoir, has been performed at The Lowry in Salford and at the Traverse Theatre at theEdinburgh Fringe in the summer of 2018. Adapted by Henry Filloux-Bennett and directed by Jonnie Riordan, it starredGiles Cooperas Nigel. Toast was on stage at The Other Palace Theatre in London before touring the country for six months. When the custard and apple are cool, whip the cream to soft folds then gently fold with the custard and most of the apple. Serve with a little reserved apple and strips of candied peel.

Nigel Slater recipes + Summer food and drink | Food | The Nigel Slater recipes + Summer food and drink | Food | The

Pour the milk through a sieve into a clean saucepan, add the rice and bring to the boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and leave to cook for about 25 minutes, stirring regularly, until the grains are soft and plump. Should they take longer, top up the liquid with a little boiling water. Towards the end of the cooking time, add the sugar. Nigel Slater is a British food writer, journalist and broadcaster. He has written a column for The Observer Magazine for seventeen years and is the principal writer for the Observer Food Monthly supplement. Prior to this, Slater was food writer for Marie Claire for five years. He also serves as art director for his books. This version of me eats beautiful food called simply by the main ingredients: "butternut, feta, egg," for example, which is "Crisp, light, sweet, salty." (Ahem..."Makes 9 fritters. Serves 3"...in case you were wondering.) Or "onions, taleggio, cream." Or "beet, lentils, garam masala." Cooking and eating are both sensual, leisurely experiences, accompanied by fine wine.The Script for Nigel Slater'sToast, the stage production written by Henry Filloux-Bennetis published by Samuel French.

Greenfeast: Spring, Summer by Nigel Slater | Goodreads Greenfeast: Spring, Summer by Nigel Slater | Goodreads

I've always enjoyed his books; they are practical and succinct. His recipes are exciting and familiar, because they help me think of new ways to prepare plant based dishes using whats available seasonally. This practice helps me to utilize my weekly farmers market, and create dishes that came from my area.

Success!

In 1998 Slater hosted the Channel 4 series Nigel Slater's Real Food Show. He returned to TV in 2006 hosting the chat/food show A Taste of My Life for BBC One. I love this cookbook. I love the pictures, I love the idea of cozy winter vegetable dishes, I love the size and layout - everything about this book speaks to me. I've made one of the recipes (it hasn't been all that cold yet and these foods are definitely for warming a body on dark, chilly days) and while it wasn't perfect, I could tell exactly what I would need to do to make it to my liking. I notated my thoughts in the margins of the recipe and next time I bake the little root veggie pie, it will be so delicious. Sometimes, the language/attitude annoyed me. In a recipe with different (expensive) mushrooms, he says that you can use button mushrooms, it works "well enough". Ho boy. Personally, I don't feel that some expensive mushroom add flavor proportionally to their price, some do. But boy, the "well enough" really annoyed me. Cookbooks are typically nothing more than entertainment for me. I look at the pictures, pretend I could make those things if only I [insert excuse], and then move on.

The Best Cookbooks: Get inspired in the kitchen and cook up a The Best Cookbooks: Get inspired in the kitchen and cook up a

Halve and stone the cherries. Scatter half the cherries over the sponge. Spoon the custard over the cherries, smooth flat, then refrigerate for an hour. His new cookbook, part one of two (the second, Greenfeast: Autumn, Winter will be out later in the year), looks to be as restorative and encouraging as ever... Slater's recipes are never not intuitive and, mostly, the ingredients lists are mercifully short – the same goes for Greenfeast. Nothing is fear-inducingly complicated, and the sections are broken into sensible areas: 'In a bowl', 'On the Grill', and 'Pudding' for instance. Plus, there's a picture of each dish, so you know what you're aiming for. The oven gets more use at this time of year, the grill and griddle probably less. More food will come to the table in deep casseroles and pie dishes. I dig out my capacious ladle for a creamed celeriac soup as soft as velvet. The temperature of the plates and bowls will change. We want to hold things that warm our hands, a sign of the happiness to come. Butter a 20cm soufflé or baking dish, add the ricotta mixture and top with the reserved asparagus spears and parmesan. Bake for 35 minutes till risen, its surface tinged with gold.

Pour the vinegar into a stainless-steel saucepan, add the sugar, peppercorns and the whole garlic. Add 550ml of water and bring to the boil. As soon as the sugar has dissolved, pour the hot liquor over the salted vegetables, toss thoroughly then seal or cover and set aside overnight, or for at least 4 hours. Turn the vegetables occasionally by stirring or shaking the jar.

Greenfeast: Spring, Summer: [A Cookbook]: Slater, Nigel Greenfeast: Spring, Summer: [A Cookbook]: Slater, Nigel

People who eat. Especially those who really like vegetables. And those who look forward to spring and summer, not solely for the weather, but more importantly for the way it changes how and what we scoff for dinner, and even where we eat it. This will have you carrying dishes outside to eat, whether you have a huge lawn or just a chair and a wedge of space on a balcony. Dass täglicher Fleischverzehr zum einen der Ökobilanz schadet und zum anderen der Gesundheit auf Dauer nicht zuträglich ist, wissen wir mittlerweile alle und haben (hoffentlich) daraus Konsequenzen gezogen. Salat, Gemüse und Obst gehören täglich auf den Tisch, und zwar nicht nur als dekorative Beilage. full of vibrancy and brilliantly simple ideas, it'll keep you going all summer. Our only question: Why are there no corn on the cob recipes? The syrups, devoid of their fruits, can be chilled overnight in the fridge and served with strained yogurt for breakfast.Although best known for uncomplicated, comfort food recipes presented in early bestselling books such as The 30-Minute Cook and Real Cooking, as well as his engaging, memoir-like columns for The Observer, Slater became known to a wider audience with the publication of Toast: The Story of a Boy's Hunger, a moving and award-winning autobiography focused on his love of food, his childhood, his family relationships (his mother died of asthma when he was nine), and his burgeoning sexuality. Toast - the20th Anniversary Edition, with an introduction by Elizabeth Day and Afterword by Nigel,will bepublished Autumn 2023. There are some recipes that use cheese or egg but the vast majority are just vegetable. Most recipes seem fairly simple and there aren't many unusual ingredients required. I think this would be a good cookbook for someone who grows their own vegetables who is looking for new things to do with their seasonal glut. But here’s another thing. Despite being resolutely omnivorous, it is clear how much of my everyday eating has become plant based. Although not strictly vegetarian (the bottom line for me will always be that my dinner is delicious, not something that must adhere to a set of strict dietary rules) much of my weekday eating contains neither meat nor fish. I am not sure this was a particularly considered choice. It is simply the way my eating has grown to be over the last few years. I do know, however, that I am not alone in this.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment