276°
Posted 20 hours ago

MOMENTS OF MADNESS

£5.495£10.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Moments of Madnessis multi-layered with serious messages, acute analysis, and witty observations in fun-filled lyrical and musical eccentricity. On LasagneHugh tells the story about his Italian friends who live in Mexico and make the best lasagne he has ever tasted. As always, Cornwell communicates with a biting humour in all the right places. Hugh’s cautionary tales about matters of the heart are revealed in his inimitable coded style on Beware of the Doll.“You think you’re listening to love. You’re sinking from a foot above.” And the more personal album closer Heartbreak at Sevenwhich was the first song that Hugh recorded for this album. Illustrious, multi-talented and a legend, with Moments of Madness, Hugh Cornwell has produced a timely and thought-provoking masterpiece for our times. Lasagna” is equal parts Graham Parker and The Stones’ “Not Fade Away” and is a moment of light and fun on a record that isn’t exactly full of either. More typical is the heavy, claustrophobic air that swirls around on “Heartbreak At Seven”. But my goodness it is done well. I don’t mind different types of jewellery, show it to me, just feel free’, could be I’m missing the artistry” opines Hugh on Red Rose– a song about the bewildering trend for tattoos revealing a record of many gleaming lyrical gems.

Cornwell’s bleeding heart is exposed in a growling rendition of ‘Thrown Away’ that merrily stomps along marauding on its way. ‘Nuclear Device (The Wizard of Aus)’ is punked right up with Cornwell spitting out the chorus with anti-obsequious venom. days ago LIES!: Dutch metallic hardcore gang drops video for “Propaganda” (ft. Hugo Zerrad – Worst Doubt) via Invisible Oranges; 2nd album comes early DecemberThat one is one of the longest on the album. The rest are presented without excess. “Red Rose” is a celebration of jewellery. He’s not impressed with tattoos, mind you. “Then you get the tramp stamp, I don’t like the tramp stamp” is not a chorus I thought I’d review, but whatever. For reference, these are also known as “slag tag’s” if you want to get that in a future record. Glad to help. Classical intellectuals Pliny the Elder and Aristotle once hypothesized of the power of the full moon. Its ability to induce madness across the lands upon which it illuminated, a celestial lunacy. It had been another interesting experience to be in the company of a legend, but sadly it did all feel rather staid and had an strong air of going through the motions about it, which no doubt had been amplified by the standoffish crowd, bar a few that were competing with the “I love you Hugh” shouts. A positive though, was that the merch stall was doing brisk business as Hugh was there to sign albums. So the punters were showing their appreciation in another way. For me, it was nice to also catch up with old friends. Hugh Cornwell and Pat Hughes at Concorde 2, Brighton 12.11.22 (pic Cris Watkins/ PunkInFocus) Says Hugh, “It’s like I’ve got a stew pot of sounds where I’ve put in a bit of Joe Meek, a bit of Lou Reed, a flavour of The Doors, a bit of this, a bit of that and I mix it all up and it tastes good. I’m like a cook when I make records in that I don’t follow any recipe.”

The creepily entitled ‘Beware Of The Doll’ explores matters of the heart. It’s uncomplicated yet resonant with Cornwell whittling a sweet solo from his white Telecaster. Reminiscent of the darker Stranglers material Cornwell’s ghosting vocals hauntingly reverberate.Moments of Madness – New Album and Tour - HughCornwell.com. 18 April 2022. Retrieved 21 April 2022. Four years since his previous remarkable solo album Monster, the opener, and first single, Coming Out of the Wildernesssurfs an edgy and explosive sixties sound with a heavy Duane Eddy guitar twang as Hugh declares, “I’m coming out of the wilderness, learnt how to throw a bowie knife. Ran into fair-haired maiden’s out there but didn’t take no wife.” The song “Moments of Madness” is about pain, but it doesn’t have the humor of Queen’s “I’m Going Slightly Mad.” This is far more within the asylum and born from society’s decline, rather than an attempt to smile at the insanity around us. The mantra of madness becomes a chant, a descent to insanity.

Hugh’s cautionary tales about matters of the heart are revealed in his inimitable coded style on Beware of the Doll. “You think you’re listening to love. You’re sinking from a foot above.” And the more personal album closer Heartbreak at Seven which was the first song that Hugh recorded for this album. We were given a trio of other Stranglers tunes; ‘Goodbye Toulouse’, ‘London Lady’ and the rare ‘Turn The Centuries, Turn’ before the one song encore of ‘Skin Deep’ which rounded off the evening’s entertainment. Illustrious, multi-talented and a legend, with Moments of Madness, Hugh Cornwell has produced a timely and thought-provoking masterpiece for our times. Look out for our forthcoming interview with Hugh Cornwell in the Beat magazine. Illustrious, multi-talented and a legend, with Moments of Madness, Hugh Cornwell has produced a timely and thought-provoking masterpiece for our times. Widely regarded as the poet laureate of the punk era” and certainly, the ten songs here are wonderful in their use of language that verges on the unique, but it’s only when you add it together with the truly bewildering kaleidoscope of musical styles that you realise how good Moments Of Madness is.” Maximum Volume MusicCornwell has, no doubt, throughout both his solo career and his 16-year tenure within the ranks of the idiosyncratic genre-defying Stranglers encountered such. Thus, it’s rather appropriate that this tour, drawing its naming from Cornwell’s sensational tenth solo album, is entitled ‘Moments of Madness.’ Looking for You reveals a Jim Morrison-inspired vocal over this song’s spooky atmospherics, and the semi-autobiographical and upbeat When I Was a Young Man opens a can of insightful, wistful emotions “As years go by and friends, they die they leave me living slow,” Hugh sombrely sings as he reflects upon his family and friends. Widely regarded as the poet laureate of the punk era (from his early career fronting the Stranglers to his transition as a solo artist),Hugh Cornwellhas built a substantial and singular body of impressive solo albums. His tenth solo opus, Moments of Madness, continues his illustrious output by experimenting with musical genres as his enviable reputation as a wordsmith resounds across this album’s songs. There’s a sentence in the supporting press documentation that came with this, though, that rather intrigues. It says that Cornwell was “widely regarded as the poet laureate of the punk era” and certainly, the ten songs here are wonderful in their use of language that verges on the unique, but it’s only when you add it together with the truly bewildering kaleidoscope of musical styles that you realise how good “Moments Of Madness” is. The coupling of ‘Big Bug’ and ‘Mothra’ is lifted from the non-vampiric side of ‘Nosferatu,’ Cornwell’s 1979 collaboration with Captain Beefheart drummer Robert Williams. An unlikely pairing, in terms of subject matter, as there could possibly be. The former about Leon Trotsky’s armoured train whilst the latter, with its “machinations of a giant moth,” takes its inspiration from the Japanese fictional monster of the same name.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment