276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Ember Blade: A breathtaking fantasy adventure (The Darkwater Legacy)

£6.495£12.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

We ARE Struggling Together: In-Universe this is considered the Ossian hat, as they are constantly arguing with each other and are perceived as incapable of working together towards a common goal. In this story, the Ossian way of life is fading and the Dachen way is taking its place and Aren is comfortable with that. Even when his parents are accused of treason he supports the establishment and maintains there's been some mistake . . . which is all it takes to get himself and his best friend arrested . . . Stay in the Kitchen: The Krodan religion has very regimented gender roles, with women being considered not intelligent enough for scholarship or administration, let alone fighting. The main plot of the story can actually be simplified down to very little, and it has almost nothing to do with the boys directly at all. FRIDAY 10 am (bright and early): Megan Leigh (Breaking The Glass Slipper podcast) interviews little old me about all kinds of stuff! Signing at the Big Green Bookstore stand right after.

Wow, bet you all thought I was dead, didn’t you? As my longtime readers will testify, social media has never really been my thing. I need to get Brandon Sanderson to give me some lessons… Im new reading this… but I find really hard understanding the caracters…. it’s like it was ment that I should k ow them already… I mean is there or is it going to be something before?… like for example… lord of the rings have the hobbit… which explains the beginning…. in this book the 2nd chapter starts talking about Aren.. so am I supose to know him already? Sorry to bother, … thanks Strikes a magnificently fine balance between classic epic fantasy and grimdark fantasy, making this an amazing start to a new trilogy' Novel Notions One of the best fantasy books I've read in years. An instant classic!' Goodreads reviewer, ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐With the exceptions of Cade and Aaron, the other characters are just faceless people that I don’t care about. I am also not a fan of third person narrative. Take a chance. BE the character. Don’t just watch him from above. It’s not in any way great writing. A fantasy novel by Chris Wooding, author of the The Braided Path series, the Broken Sky series and The Haunting of Alaizabel Cray. It is the first of a planned trilogy called The Darkwater Legacy. Welcome to another of my increasingly tardy updates in which I reveal nothing because everything is secret. The headline news is that there has not, to be honest, been massive amounts of progress on the sequel to the Ember Blade. I’m creeping up to the halfway point but I’ve been working for Ubisoft most of last year and between that and having two sleep-sapping infants in the house there hasn’t been as much time as I’d hoped to get on with it. I’m trying to forge out time when I can but there’s not a lot to go round these days. What I can say is don’t expect it this year. Even when the manuscript is done there will be a long wait for editing, so late 2021 is probably as early as we could make it. Apologies to all those champing at the bit. It’s getting done. Slowly. One of the best in the genre for a very long time . . . a masterful balancing of new and old . . . a rather grand first instalment in a trilogy that could be one of the best epic fantasy has ever seen' Goodreads reviewer, ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

Recipient of a few international literary awards and nominations, he enjoys reading gritty thrillers filled with moral dilemmas and a real sense of danger. Sequel Hook: As may be expected in the first book of a planned trilogy, the novel leaves several plot threads hanging to be resolved in sequels. To wit: Just reread The Ember Blade again…. holding breath for No 2. Hoping you all all you love are safe and well. Jill Summer The pacing of The Ember Blade is fantastic, with the stakes continuing to rise throughout the book. It was almost impossible to put this down, especially at the end of a chapter, when I just had to start the next one to know what happened next. Hellhole Prison: The work camp at Suller's Bluff is little better than a death sentence, since the prisoners are forced to work to exhaustion because the Krodans figure its cheaper to get fresh prisoners than it is to properly feed or rest the ones already there. And that doesn't go into the the fact that the mineral they're mining produces a highly combustible oil byproduct that can trigger massive explosions in the mines with little to no warning.

Top 100 Fantasy Books Of All Time

Violence: Relatively detailed violence and blood, mostly of the sword-letting variety, but VERY infrequently Death of the Hypotenuse: Aren and Cade both begin to develop feelings for Fen. This triangle is resolved when Cade dies during the escape from Hammerholt. Eldritch Abomination: The Beast of Skavengard, and unholy mass of tentacles, eyes and mouths that is trapped on the island-palace of Skavengard. It was summoned from another dimension and slaughtered everyone on the palace centuries ago. Just a glimpse of it is enough to pretty much break Keel's mind. Secret Police: The Iron Hand is the organization charged with stamping out all dissidence in the Krodan Empire, both among the conquered peoples and within its own population. Evil Is Not a Toy: If the fate of the Sorcerer King Azh Mat Jaal is any indication, the Sorcerer Kings and Queens of Old Ossia brought about their own destruction by tinkering with forces from the Shadowlands that they couldn't fully control.

Greatly enjoyed “The Ember Blade.” Can you give us a rough timeline of when other books in the series will be released? Is it a trilogy? Please don’t leave us hanging like George R.R. Martin has. Or sell the rights to HBO before the series is complete. Your Terrorists Are Our Freedom Fighters: The various Ossian resistance groups opposed to the Krodan occupation have been known to go to some pretty nasty extremes in their pursuit of freedom, carrying out assassinations against collaborators and informers, as well as considering butchering their families to discourage collaboration with the Krodans. Garric's plan after the failure of open rebellion at Salt Fork is to smuggle a dozen wine barrels two thirds full of elarite oil into Hammerholt fortress on the eve of a royal wedding and detonate them. This would create an explosion powerful enough to destroy most of the fortress and burn the rest, killing crown prince Ottico, the entire Krodan high command in Ossia, and hundreds if not thousands of Krodan soldiers... but also hundreds of Ossian servants and wedding guests, including foreign dignitaries and children. Have read the Ember Blade, loved it, cant wait for the next book. I am a big fan, have read and re-read the Ketty Jay series and actually appreciate that you put so much work into your writing instead of blog updates. Wishing you a very happy and prosperous New Year. Clever and challenging, but also funny . . . The explosive finale has more than enough bang for anyone . . . a group forged in blood and betrayal, bonded by their oaths do what needs to be done against any and all odds' Goodreads reviewer, ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

All Chris Wooding Reviews

I’m half way through this book. It’s horribly boring. I’ve been a reader all my life and so I understand plot and character development are important, if at times tedious. But you expect a story to take off and fly by a third of the way in. This just doesn’t. Just finished reading The Ember Blade and loved it. Can’t wait for the next one in the series. Gets a 10/10 from me, one of the best books I’ve read in quite a while.

Fantastic Nuke: Elarite oil is a highly unstable substance produced as a byproduct of elarite mining operations that can be detonated by any spark and emits fumes capable of igniting the air itself. Eight wine barrels worth of the substance note A dozen wine barrels each 2/3 full can produce an explosion powerful enough to demolish an entire fortress and burn down what is left in a blaze that can be seen hundreds of miles away. From the publisher: “Aren has lived by the rules all his life. He’s never questioned it; that’s just the way things are. But then his father is executed for treason, and he and his best friend Cade are thrown into a prison mine, doomed to work until they drop. Unless they can somehow break free . . . In scripty news I wrote the pilot ep for a TV adaptation of a bestselling YA series which may or may not arrive on your screens in due course. I did a bunch of other stuff that has to remain secret. Also I’m hoping to have some major news very soon about one of my own projects but then again, I may very well not. As ever, I’ll let you know as soon as something concrete happens.Suicide Mission: Garric’s true plan is not to steal the Ember Blade (he thinks it is impossible) but instead to smuggle a dozen barrels full of elarite oil into Hammerholt on the eve of the royal wedding and detonate them, killing himself, the Krodan crown prince, the Krodan high command in Ossia, and most of the wedding guests. He succeeds. The Sards are a combination of Gypsies (traditionally nomadic life, work as entertainers, are despised as thieves) and Jews (ethnic minority living in ghettos on major cities). Honor Before Reason: Garric will keep his oaths, no matter how impractical or dangerous to himself they might be. Case in point, since he once swore to protect Aren's father's family, he goes to rescue him from the prison camp, even though he later came to hate Aren's father fiercely. Overwatchman Klyssen was counting on this and was the only reason Aren was arrested in the first place. Seeing as it’s been about a year since the last update I was curious how progress has been on book two. All the best to you and yours in the new year! I’m a big fan of your work!

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment