276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Work Like a Woman: A Manifesto For Change

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

There seemed to be a lot of padding and repetition of the same points about gender inequality in the workplace, and very few actual ideas or examples of what she proposed. And, as I watch this happen, I realise she is that rare and marvellous thing: at once both a brilliant invention and yet, somehow, so completely and utterly herself. Meanwhile, after some deep thought and a lot of scribbling in an orange notebook, she set about rearranging her life and her business. I’m tempted to take off my whole outfit and start again as I stand in front of the mirror, dithering. She makes well reasoned pleas for a change in attitudes in all walks of life to lead to equality both in and outside of the workplace.

Mary Portas: ‘It was a question of how do I want to work as a

The main premise is that the the Lean In concept is kind of bullshit — that instead of changing ourselves to fit into office culture, office culture needs to change to meet the skills and needs of women. It seems to be a common world view, and I find it frustrating, as though other life pursuits or challenges don’t matter as much. I think I'd have preferred this book if it had kept its focus on Portas' own life and learnings, and had spent less time giving out universal advice to all women. If you're looking to emulate Portas' career journey then this is a good quick introduction on how to maybe do that.Quite frankly, the promotion and the blurb on the inside of the dust jacket does not do this justice. Regretfully, not everyone is able to take control and start their own organisation in the same way as Portas did. Mary’s continued advocacy of our High Streets led to her receiving a commission from the British Government to lead an independent review.

Work Like a Woman: A Manifesto for Change Book - Oliver Bonas

Equally, I do not agree that it is a Sandberg vs Steinman debate, how we all behave in the working world (both male and female) is a question of balance and change on both sides. But I don't think the advice tracks across to women working in small organisations, waitresses, nurses, doctors, public sector roles, etc etc. At work, a senior male colleague told me that the reason I might be held back with regards to progression and climbing the ranks at a young age is because I’m “too nice”. Both are smart, plucky business women, driven by their careers, who learn as they grow their families the importance of balancing work and motherhood. I did not (really) know Mary Portas before, so it may have startled me more than an English person would have been startled by it?

Wasn’t a waste of time, but it’s definitely getting donated to the little library at my tube station next time I head out. Portas travelled here this afternoon on a Limobike, a mode of transport she favours for its efficiency and, perhaps, its style. I’d say maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of the book was really focused on this, as though this is the only issue that women face challenges with. I’ll keep reading back over this book throughout my own career and hope I can make changes in my own workplace to bring Mary’s points to life.

Work Like a Woman by Mary Portas | Goodreads

But I see little change from that kind of competitive behaviour in the way that industry and others still work, and perhaps that’s reflected in the fact that women still make up only 15% of the financial trading workforce.Why I chose it: I’ve been working from home since moving to the UK for my partner’s job, but just started a new office gig this week. Taking us through her working life, Mary will look at a range of topics from workplace bullying and accessing promotion, to combining a career with children and the affect that getting divorced and becoming a single parent had on her professional life. I am eager to read Rebuild, to know what a post-Covid, post-divorce and now podcasting Mary has planned for the world of retail. I can only hope that every company moves to this way of thinking in the future and we create a more equal working culture.

Work Like a Woman by Mary Portas | Waterstones

It completely can, but we need politicians to understand its role, and we need to create destinations people love. People she spoke to that day remembered her as the “naughty one”, but when push came to shove she simply got on with what she needed to do. However, I have reflected on how to pitch this review, my own career started at the same time as Portas and the anecdotes of alpha culture are all too familiar. Portas reflects on her career progression starting in the early '80s outlining the alpha culture that was apparent and the decisions that she made on the way to create a career where she felt she had more control.At its heart, however, lies a personal crisis, one born of fame and success – and it’s this story that will perhaps most pique the interest of the reader, however much you might be looking for advice as to how to secure a hefty pay rise and a seat on the board. I *loved* this book, and would have sped through it if I’d started reading earlier during my first loan period. I picked this up a couple of years ago expecting an interesting read about someone I quite enjoyed watching on the telly.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment