276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Shaper Origin Handheld CNC Router - CNC Level Precision Cutting - Portable - SO2-NN - Inlays, Custom Joinery, Engraving, Lettering, Fine Woodworking, Depth Control + Router Bits, Tape and Systainer

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

On more con to Shaper is that it's actually only 2D. Meaning it uses SVG files for cutting paths, but it's on you to remember the cut depth of your different machining steps. Something a true CNC handles automatically.

I have used my Origin to make some jigs - shapes cut out of 12mm ply for use on a router table with a trim bit. They are 30-40cm long. I haven't measured the accuracy but so far have found the following: In reality you want your CNC to get the most out of your material, work close to the edge and cut out parts close to each other. Goliath CNC is a portable CNC machine that defies the way makers, designers, and artisans work on flat surfaces. The machine mills, cut and engrave any material and interface with various CAD file formats. Every now and then, a new tool hits the marketplace that changes the way we work. In the last decade or so, CNC routers have been one of those tools. Love them, hate them … want one, don’t want one. Whatever your viewpoint is, you can’t deny that they truly open up a lot of doors in the woodshop. Within the world of CNC’s, there’s one product that stands out, however. That’s Origin, by Shaper Tools. If you don’t know what Origin is, take a minute to watch their video below. The Shaper Origin saves time spent in producing templates as the template is stored in the machine’s memory, allowing you to get straight on with the job. This machine offers limitless possibilities. Create complex joinery, intricate inlays, fine engraving, decorative parquet flooring, lettering and sign writing

The big, big difference between the Origin and a flat-bed CNC is not this, however. It's that you have to move it yourself. If you have an hour of cutting to do, you need to move the machine around for an hour while you're standing next to it with ear protection on. This is tiring and you need absolute concentration the whole time. If you are doing things commercially and have enough shop space, having a flat-bed CNC would enable you use that hour for something else, even if you need to be in the vicinity just to keep an eye on it. Still, all of this bodes well for the creation of a whole new category of tools for small shops/mobile work. I already have 3 CNC small machines and I believe the Shaper can replace them all. Anyone interested in an early version of the HandiBot at a great price? Hence I decided to voice my disagreement with ToS like the one from Shaper Origin, in the hopes that they'll see the light and change them (and it would likely be enough to have the ToS reflect the practice they claim to be doing anyway)... so I can continue to vote with my wallet, just then through opening it. Personally I will sit on my fence post and wait to see how this whole concept works out once once it goes beyond the company and their network of beta testers and influencers.

Quote from: Timtool on October 07, 2017, 11:09 AM I don't know about this one, they all focus on one hip advantage and hide all the new inconveniences their solution creates.

Manipulating the tool by hand needs practice. You get better at not moving the cutter away from the line and having it retract on you. It's ok if it moves away from the cut surface but if you move into it, you will probably cut out a chip. Traditional style joinery can be cut using the domino tape on your workbench, or in Shaper Station. No Programming Required

Like any CNC machine, pre-programmed computer software dictates the movement of tool. Origin features precision X, Y and Z axes with automatic tool tip detection. The large screen displays the path of the design for you to follow, the really clever bit is the full auto correction for the movement of your hands guaranteeing precise results every time. This Shaper Origin handheld precision CNC router offers unparalleled accuracy, flexibility and efficiency. Shaper Origin features a larger 5.5” high resolution screen, a 25% increase in size. The entire assembly is now housed in a sleek, super strong aluminium unibody construction. The Shaper Origin, literally puts CNC routing at your fingertips. As noted by @neilc the Shaper does not require CAM or even CAD, which it the game-changer for me. I am somewhat skilled in Fusion & very comfortable designing in Sketchup but creating toolpaths is another layer of complexity. Being a sometimes user I end up making mistakes that don't show up until midway thru cutting so there are a lot of do-overs.For me, working in a small workshop and not commercially, with the Origin, I can use my Festool MFT as a work surface and bring my CAD designs directly to the wood without needing to print them on paper and use bandsaw, belt sander, spindle sander etc. to cut them out. I love it

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment