276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Murder in the Falling Snow: Ten Classic Crime Stories (Vintage Murders)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Loved the plots and characters, such of which would not look out of place on a television adaptation now.

These are mainly set in the last century but I love the old fashioned settings, the way people spoke, the simplicity of life and the hardship of it before the health service, before the welfare state. I don't think I am being unfair by saying that even though some of these authors are well-known and respected the particular stories in this book are hardly their best work. Perfect to dip in and out of between other festivities and I am building my collection of this joyous series!Though there are 2 - 3 stories that were genuinely fun and exciting to read, most of them were a bit of a letdown – being rather clumsy and awkward. The Chesterton was a bit boring and since most of the action was set in South America, seemed a weird inclusion.

A quick and easy read - while some were interesting most we pretty mediocre, no real twists or turns, they seemed to get more lame as the book went on - the best stories being at the front of the book. There's no overall introduction, there's no introduction to any of the individual stories, it's just the stories. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average.I also liked the Sayers story starring her lesser-known detective, commercial traveller Montague Egg, and the Sherlock Holmes story, though I'd read both of these before. I would have like a little biographical section about each author and some mention as to why each story was chosen. The sub-title "Ten Classic Crime Stories" gives it away that Cecily Gayford put these stories together. JANICE HALLETT, THE SUNDAY TIMESIt's only the afternoon, but dusk is already falling and a log fire burning in the grate. Austin Freeman - in which a woman is murdered and finding her killer may hinge on finding a cat, a dog and a monkey.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment