276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Logical Chess: Move By Move: Every Move Explained New Algebraic Edition (Irving Chernev)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

There are also diagrams every few moves, showing the current postions of all the pieces, so you can not only get a better idea of where the pieces are, but can check you have made the right moves if you are playing these games on your own board. Does a good job of explaining the ideas behind moves (especially opening moves) in easy to understand language. The author can better relate to the reader and provide them the sort of insight that may be lost on stronger players.

I know all the chess players here have already written love letters to this book, but I could not let that stop me from writing mine.The only downside to this book is that nearly every game ends in a tactical checkmate with many pieces still on the board. the reason for this is that logical chess goes through 33 games played by previous grand-masters and explaining EVERY move in detail ! I used Chernev's book "Logical Chess" 45 years ago when I was a kid trying to improve my game, and now as I am trying to re-learn the game, an e-book copy of "Logical Chess" is as clear and helpful as it was when I was young. In school, you could get a great mark without reading every single word in the textbook; same with chess books. Chernev has a way with words and always finds something interesting to say about the first move, even though through the course of the 33 games he mostly has words to say about the King's Pawn (1.

The book is just a collection of random games, the broad themes being 1) NEVER weaken your kingside pawn line, 2) d4 openings are cool for quick attacks, and 3) look how cool Capablanca was.Even when a series of moves consists of direct threats and responses, sometimes I miss one of the threats and then don't understand what follows. For someone who wants to peel at the hidden complexities of the game, the symbolic representation can work as a deterrent force. I've learned a great deal from both what Irving Chernev has said but also through the repetition of following his advice and mimicking the games. PS The only thing I hate is the cover, which looks like a 1970's book which has sat on the shelf for so long that it has faded. The author leaves no mysteries about why some moves are a waste of time, why some squares are better than others, and why you want to complete a full development before starting an attack.

A better name for the book might be "Logical DEVELOPMENT" since the outcomes are so clear by the middle game.

In this popular classic, the author explains 33 complete games, in detail, move by move, including the reason for each one. So poignant game 22, a stonewall defense of playing pawns on first 4 of 5 moves to move the army, leads to a bloodbath of pieces in the center, all protecting pawns that never come into play, then another bloodbath involving the final remaining pieces, after which the side with the passed pawn on the open file simply marches forward to win, leaving a battlefield of only pawns. Overall, sure, it isn't a perfect book in some aspects, but as a tool to teach the basic principles of the game and how to play in general, what the plans are, it's a great book. The games are extremely well chosen, and if the repetitive first move analysis becomes tiresome the rest if perfectly on target. I also wanted to say that I have improved A LOT lately, not only my results (that for me is secondary in this stage) but in the way I understand the game.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment