276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Mysterious Case of the Alperton Angels: the Bestselling Richard & Judy Book Club Pick

£8.495£16.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

However, I just found the solution of the case too mundane in an odd way. A lot of coincidences had to pile up to make the story as bizarre as it was, so seeing it all unravelled felt almost underwhelming. Additionally, I didn't really find the solution very realistic in some places. I'm trying to avoid spoilers here - but in such a straightforward plan, why the angels, Gabriel? I wish we had gotten more clear answers there. Also, I didn't like Oliver throughout, but by the end he was really off the rails in the worst way. However Amanda is forced to join forces with rival writer Oliver Menzies who is also looking for the baby. As Amanda and Oliver delve further into the case, they realise everything they thought they knew was wrong.

The Mysterious Case of the Alperton Angels is a multi-layered puzzle filled with intrigue and suspense. I had so much fun reading it! I even got quite scared reading it at night because of the direction I thought the book was going in. I appreciate books that do this dossier format, here though I felt like the reader needed to want to play detective in a way that I never do in mysteries. I never go into a book trying to put on my detective hat with an old school pipe to suss out what really happened and which characters might be lying to me, and here I felt as though Hallett wanted the reader to construct their own murder board with doodles of characters connected by red string to really get the most enjoyment out of the book. Inside is a bundle of documents, archived research material for a book that has just been published. A whip-smart and “fast-paced mystery” ( The Daily Telegraph , London) fr om the internationally bestselling author of The Twyford Code and The Appeal about a true crime journalist who revives a long-buried case about a cult—and finds herself too close to the story. The author has garnered many fans since her debut The Appeal, and this will delight them... Featuring two true crime writers battling it out to get the best scoop, a cult, and mysteries galore, this had me obsessed * Prima *I absolutely loved it. A brilliantly crafted proper mystery, I couldn't put it down -- Lisa Hall, author of THE PARTY Angels is clever and funny, well plotted, a good twist on a conventional thriller and a thoroughly enjoyable read. Once I got started I gulped it down in three sittings. JS: No, I can’t. I can’t sleep. I stayed up really late last night because I just needed to know what happened. And if I didn’t find out what happened I wouldn’t have been able to sleep either. And then I was getting these palpitations because I couldn’t read it fast enough. WHAT SHOULD I DO?!

Because of the format used, it's very drawn out, there's no clear storyline and a confusing multitude of characters, and I use this word loosely as we never actually meet any of them, who may or may not reappear later in the book.After ensnaring the teenagers and convincing them that the baby was destined to doom humanity, they planned to kill the infant at the appointed time – 10 December 2003 – when five planets were due to align in a rare astral occurrence. However, despite the cult’s best laid plans, the ritual sacrifice did not go ahead as arranged, as Holly had second thoughts about the whole thing, took the baby to safety and called the police. I slowed down because I didn't want it to end. Heavenly and creepy combined with twisted genius. Outstanding -- Joy Kluver, author of BROKEN GIRLS Would be a full 5 star read, but there was one part that felt a little rushed, however it's too much of a spoiler to discuss. Might just be me being sceptical, though. On the surface, the central mystery of The Mysterious Case of the Alperton Angels is far from cosy: it concerns a sinister cult leader who has languished in jail since 2003 after persuading a teenage acolyte that her baby was the Antichrist and needed to be sacrificed. The plan was thwarted and the baby rescued, resulting in most of the cult members atoning for their failure in a group suicide.

I freaking loved The Appeal, felt lukewarm about The Twyford Code and have been eagerly awaiting Janice Hallett's next book ever since. And boy, does she not disappoint.What a compelling, complex, utterly gripping read. Hallett's cast of characters - both major and minor - are fully formed and so integral to the unfolding plot -- Sue Teddern, author of ANNIE STANLEY, ALL AT SEA Now, true crime author Amanda Bailey is looking to revive her career by writing a book on the case. The Alperton baby has turned eighteen; finding them will be the scoop of the year. But rival author Oliver Menzies is just as smart, better connected, and also on the baby’s trail.

If you do nothing, you will be auto-enrolled in our premium digital monthly subscription plan and retain complete access for 65 € per month. Just like the Twyford Code, this book isn't written in a regular chapter format and just as well. It is clever and intriguing, and I loved every minute of it. Greatly recommended !

For cost savings, you can change your plan at any time online in the “Settings & Account” section. If you’d like to retain your premium access and save 20%, you can opt to pay annually at the end of the trial. I absolutely loved the format, which draws the reader in immediately and even makes them complicit in the quest to get to the truth. But of course, people aren't always who they seem, people lie and are guided by their own history and motives, which aren't always clear. This is a book with multiple layers and complex characters, and the story will turn into another direction every now and then. And very much to my surprise, I absolutely didn't see that end coming.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment